Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Tire Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Tire Advice

Okay, maybe there's a thread or two on this...maybe not. I searched some, but couldn't get the info I really wanted.

Just paid a member here for a set of Dark Soul beadlocks for my MRC RTR and now I need to figure out which tires to get. Looking to do more comp style crawling, so I want something that sticks to the rocks and gives good traction.

I'm considering some Red Dot Rovers, Flat Iron G8's, and maybe some Baja Claw TTC's.

What tires seem to be the best for crawling, even if it's none of the ones listed here? What tires have you guys been happiest with?

Post Up!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Tire Advice

The rovers all the way. Flat irons are a little taller but in my opinion the rovers stick like glue.
geotracker7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Rovers!! Best tire for crawling
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

rovers are best for all kinds of rocks! look at winnerone23's thread...he has some nice extra tall rovers that he had made...talk to him and he could probably tell you who made them for him, and hook you up...
mhflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
E.Y. Designs

Rovers and Nothing Else will go man... If you look at all the best guys they all run Rovers.. I Don't like the Flat Irons at all... I've never ran them but I've seen them run and they just don't hook up anything like Rovers
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My vote goes to Rovers as well, wouldn't even consider your other choices.
I would, however, pick Pro-Line Chisels as a close 2nd if you happen to find a deal on some.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

my first tire i had were rtr rock claws and they are garbage, i now have flat irons and they do OK. i do like the height of them over the rock claws, but have hooked up only after i have hacked the crap out of them, only reason i got them was i got a great deal on them brand new. my next tire will be the rovers (stock or 4" ones) or the Pro-Line Chisels. it's just whatever i can get a good deal on.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm not so much concerned about a good deal as long as what I get performs. If the rover reds are the tire of choice them my wife will be happy since they're also the cheapest option of those I listed. So red dots are the ones then?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Did someone say rovers! I can't believe no one mentioned them.... Hahahahahaha... Well since not, ill vote for them! 4.25" rovers by hittman! Mmmmm. Im looking for a word... Oh yeah, AWESOME!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Did someone say rovers! I can't believe no one mentioned them.... Hahahahahaha... Well since not, ill vote for them! 4.25" rovers by hittman! Mmmmm. Im looking for a word... Oh yeah, AWESOME!

Well that is definitely my first choice!!!!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
So red dots are the ones then?
Yes they are red, they actually only offer the 1.9's in one compound.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Guess I'll order then up today then, along with some TTC's for my micro trekker.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on what type of terrain you are crawling on. For a lot of big breakovers and deep holes, a larger diameter tire (like the FIs and BCs) would give you an edge. For more flat rolling rocks with lots of sidehills, you dont need a taller tire and the Rovers will be just fine.

I ran the Rovers on my 1.9 comp rig at state finals up in your part of the state at Big Rocks Park (just like the name implies, big rolling rocks) and they performed nicely!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Ended up picking up a set of Chisels at my LHS for $40, which I know isn't a great deal. But considering the fact that I was looking at Rovers for $34 + another $18-$20 shipping....it was the way to go. And I didn't have to wait for them. Now when my wheels gets here, I'll be ready to rock & roll!

Now.....foams. The foams that come with the Chisels any good or do I need to look at something else?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hmm CI single stage foams.. soft up front med in the rear.. now I took a stock foam, since the soft are pretty soft an don't syndicated ur tire up that tall, cut it in half like a bagel an took a half inch out or so an made it fit my wheel snug.. shoe Goo'd it back together an used it as a dual foam type setup.. keeps ur soft outer but gives ya just a touch of height, or more so, so that it didn't look like you were rolling around on a flat tire.. there will be other options coming, Im sure.. I JUST bought my chisels used from CI an the foams came in them. Never had stock foams for them.. the chisels work nice.

Where do you live or where were you ordering fro. That cost that much to ship the rovers? I got lucky an got my rovers, like new, for 20$ off the for sale section an the chisels for 12$
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Hmm CI single stage foams.. soft up front med in the rear.. now I took a stock foam, since the soft are pretty soft an don't syndicated ur tire up that tall, cut it in half like a bagel an took a half inch out or so an made it fit my wheel snug.. shoe Goo'd it back together an used it as a dual foam type setup.. keeps ur soft outer but gives ya just a touch of height, or more so, so that it didn't look like you were rolling around on a flat tire.. there will be other options coming, Im sure.. I JUST bought my chisels used from CI an the foams came in them. Never had stock foams for them.. the chisels work nice.

Where do you live or where were you ordering fro. That cost that much to ship the rovers? I got lucky an got my rovers, like new, for 20$ off the for sale section an the chisels for 12$
That was actually ordering from RPP, which was surprising. But it seems their shipping is a tad high on everything. I know they ship like Jimmy John's delivers sandwiches, but I'd still have to wait for them. was easier to just pick up the Chisels at my LHS.

I've got the proline foams in for now, but can't really test them because my front lockers took a crap. So need to order some metal ones.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I think ckrc has them on sale right now an shipping is half that.. as you said, you have them now... Plus I run a pair of them as well.. you will like them, they do good.
Ugh, the dreaded plastic locker!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
5th D Owner/Driver

Crawler Innovation foams work great in just about every tire made, try the soft front and medium rears.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire and suspention advice Speedmutant Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 05-30-2012 11:04 PM
Need advice on wheel and tire choice!!! Chaotic Crawlers Superclass Crawlers 7 09-22-2011 10:40 AM
need some tire advice RacerScott Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 02-23-2010 08:17 PM
Need some crawler tire advice... FairTax4me Tires and Wheels 5 05-28-2009 05:46 AM
tire advice docsbear General Crawlers 10 02-12-2006 10:41 AM