Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Free and creative Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Free and creative Mods

My 5 and 3 year old son have mini's and I want to see if I can get them to perform better, but spending money on them for there ages does not make since. I have already moved the batteries over the front and put weights in the rims. I am looking for any other ideas as far as moving stuff around or whatever to get the weight lower and over the front. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

a droop setup seems to work on my sons crawler. we removed the stock springs and put pen springs inside the stock shocks. with 45 shock oil. also removed battery tray and made plates on the upper links to mount the electronics. another mod that cost about 20 bucks is to upgrade the tires. we got rock claws for his and they are way better than stock.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

not sure if you've done any of this but here's what i've done free so far.

1 limit the shocks internally
2 lower body and get rid of battery tray
3 zero ackerman

I can go into details if needed on how to do all this but I found all the info myself here on the forum for how to do this.

Also if you put weight in the rear tires I'd recommend taking it out and only have it in the front. Also about 2oz per front tire is the max you wanna go because I'm told more than that will burn up the stock servos pretty easily.

When it comes to spending money if you decide to...I would recommend tires first, there is a stock tire mod that I've read you can do to make them beadlocks. Next I'd say a better servo, most seem to like the hi-tec hs645 for the mini on here and I'm happy with mine.

Hope my 2cents helps and that's cool that you got those for your kids, they are lucky.

Last edited by James003; 02-21-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: more to say
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default I sort of think I lost my mind getting them these

My kids are either fortunate or they have an insane dad. My logic was that it would be really hard to break these and they run slow enough that it would be good for them as far as learning goes. Now it has me wanting to mod them, but I know better than to spend money, at least I think.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

if you truly want to mod these you will end up spending alot of money they are addicitve. i have dumped alot of money into mine and its still pretty stock. so be prepared that when you start it will cost money.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

well im kinda in the same boat but i formulated a plan prior to buying one for my daughter. I am going to built a beastly scaler and have a basher body for it. That way my 2.5 year old can beat it and i can play with it. I just got all the peices just have to get the bodies for it and cut out the chassis. I dont care if she breaks it since i will leave alot stock anyways. Maybe make one a scaler for pop and the other one just slam it and keep the stock parts and spares.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hi, there are lots of free and very cheap mods and things you can fabricate yourself with a little trial and error (or a lot of error in my case )

Take a look at my build as I have done quite a few free mods to mine and boy it makes a difference.

My MRC build and some pics/vid

Have a read of the guides at the top of this forum also as a lot of what I have done I got the information for from there.
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Thanks for the ideas.

I basically last night removed the battery tray and moved the reciever and esc to the middle trays. I started to move the shocks but realized the factory shocks are hard to do that with. Anyway basically took the tray off and cut the ends off which will also add chassis support.