Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Matt's Mini GC-3 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
after crawling at G-tech, which is a 2.2 comp spot, my mini actually managed to stick with the 2.2s for the most part. i was surprised. others were surprised..

now i just need to seriously get rid of Torque twist, since there is still a little torque twist..

BTW, planning on getting a holmes hobbies motor, what turn is good? 33t or 22t? ill be running 2s, but will 22t be really nessecary? im worried about killing the tranny from that power lol
I just ot back from spectating at a 2.2comp. I had a go at the gates , and managed about 75% of them after a few tries.
I am now running my holmes 22T (on 2S LiPo) with a 12t pinion and stock (60t) spur, Its awesome, serious wheel speed and still great low down torque and control.
22T is a massive step up from stock and does put much greater strain on stuff (the tranny is holding up fine (metal lockers all round)). Drive shafts take a beating (metal ones a definate). All that wheel speed as well puts strain on just about everything, but is so worth it!

A good half way house is the 33T, it gives great wheel speed, great torque a little more control and can be run on 3S if you need to increase the wheelspeed later. (22T is 2S only).
Gfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #82
RCC Addict

hmm, well we didnt set up any gates. rather, went on randomly around the area.

darn, i dont have enough money for the metal driveshafts.. but if i did get them, which ones would you reccomend?

hmmm, i think ill go with 22T, and just buy the shafts later
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #83
Rock Stacker

I put the mip's in mine, still running the stock motor but on 3s, they are awesome, and made in america! I will try to post a picture of my setup, the battery is sweet!
ducatibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
hmm, well we didnt set up any gates. rather, went on randomly around the area.

darn, i dont have enough money for the metal driveshafts.. but if i did get them, which ones would you reccomend?

hmmm, i think ill go with 22T, and just buy the shafts later

I hear good things about MIP shafts (but they can be expensive)!

I run some from asiatees hobbies. They seem pretty good for the money. Not sure how long they will hold out, but going good still, had them for a few months.

http://www.asiatees.com/display.php?...&id=4056&pid=1
Old 01-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
I hear good things about MIP shafts (but they can be expensive)!

I run some from asiatees hobbies. They seem pretty good for the money. Not sure how long they will hold out, but going good still, had them for a few months.

http://www.asiatees.com/display.php?...&id=4056&pid=1
woah, thanks for that link!!

BTW, can you get a vid of your 22T running? would like too see its wheel speed.

Yea, i was affraid my only option was MIP and their price is alittle too ridiculous for me.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #86
RCC Addict

well, im definitely going to buy the motor and shafts tonight.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #87
RCC Addict

hey gfresh, have you had to swap your trannys plastic gears?? or will they survive with the 22t?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #88
RCC Addict

after running G-tech, i felt kinda bad, and felt sad at how long i havent been running this kit. Its been almost a 1month and i havent really crawled it, and maybe about 3 months i havent done anything as far as upgrades go.. so what ive done is gone out.. and got my MRC to get shining again, before the crawling season is over.

Ive ordered:
Holmes Hobbies 22T Torque Master Mini
Asiatees driveshafts

Made/added:
new steering linkage
30wt shock oil all around

More changes will happen as i tear down the kit, and wait for my motor and driveshafts.

Last edited by MRCCRAWLER1.9; 01-31-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Ive ordered:
Holmes Hobbies 22T mini Torque Sport
Asiatees driveshafts

Made/added:
new steering linkage
30wt shock oil all around

More changes will happen as i tear down the kit, and wait for my motor and driveshafts.

Just to check, the Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Mini 22T is item number: HH-TM12

The "mini Torque Sport" confused me, hope you ordered the right one!
I don't have any wheel speed videos of the 22t. If I get time I may try doing one (its freezing out!). Beleive me, you will be shocked when you try it over the stock motor! Take a little getting used to, and you need a careful finger on that throttle!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
Just to check, the Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Mini 22T is item number: HH-TM12

The "mini Torque Sport" confused me, hope you ordered the right one!
I don't have any wheel speed videos of the 22t. If I get time I may try doing one (its freezing out!). Beleive me, you will be shocked when you try it over the stock motor! Take a little getting used to, and you need a careful finger on that throttle!
ohhhhh.. lol my bad, ive been thinking of the torque master sport for my XR, so i got confused. haha

your scaring me.. lol well, i think ill just adjust my throttle EXPO to smooth it out..

BTW, do you need the metal tranny gears or will the stock plastic gears hold?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 AM   #91
RCC Addict

ive been shaving the plastic rod ends alittle on the servo side since its binding alittle..

also, im trying to get the most out of my stocker dogbones.. hopefully, i can get close to ackerman. then just buy some CVDs!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

I am still running plastic gears in the transmission (with metal lockers of course!), seems fine, no slipping/stripping.
Remember to double and triple check that the pinion is lined up and meshed with the spur gear correctly (not too tight or slack against the spur).

I guess we need to expect faster wear and tear when running the 22T motor. It is putting out loads more speed and power. I did change out the rear diff pinion last week, as it was getting worn and sloppy, but this could be from old age more than anything (it was about 18month old).

I adjusted my FXR's throttle profile to be a little more gradual on the lower end to bring back some lower down control. Seems to be really controllable and predictable.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #93
RCC Addict

Oh alright that's good. I've already spent my feburarys allowance on my mini and xr. Lol

Ehh I don't think it will be that bad compared to the 33t since your prob only using the higher end like 25% of it's full life span, unless your running comp or bashing that is. Lol
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Default Videos

I quickly shot a couple of video clips early today.

Hope they give you an idea of what to expect.

p.s. it was freezing out, rocks quite greasy feeling.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Thank for those vids! I'll make sure to check it out once I get home after school.

Byw in your thread, you mentioned clocking your axle, how do you do that?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Clocking axle:

This is an easy mod that helps a bit with steering when sidehilling and climbing.

There are a few threads and posts that describe it better than I can, but basically you take off the knuckle Cs from the axle, file new flats on the axle (tilted back about 20 or so degrees), re fit cups, drill new holes (1mm) and screw back together.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #97
RCC Addict

oh, seems real easy. ill be trying that when i have the time.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #98
RCC Addict

well, ive been waiting for my driveshafts, and motor. but ive done a thorough tear down! and just finished rebuilding it. now just need to install the tranny, motor and new shafts.
Starting the tear down after breaking the lower ball end

So i made a new steering linkage for my MRC, from my XR-10 stock link.. had to dremel out the back abit. but all is good.

Tore down all my Shocks, added spacers.. and im extremely glad i opened my shocks and refilled them.. look at the next pic o.O

Now here is the chassis, without the tranny, shafts, and without moving any electronics yet.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #99
RCC Addict

recieved my Holmes Hobbies Mini Motor!

Installed into the Tranny:

Got really anxious, so i ran it with the stocker shafts. 5 min later, the shafts warped.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #100
RCC Addict

ar you running the mip shafts,I hope not they will not cycle under a load so the suspension will seem to be stiff when climbing and alot of other situations
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote