Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi MRC Pro Race Roller, a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #21
5th D Owner/Driver

The Losi Insane motor is another choice, but you cant beat the performance of a nice handwound motor if you intend to comp with it.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
The Losi Insane motor is another choice, but you cant beat the performance of a nice handwound motor if you intend to comp with it.
But that's bigger than a 270 right?
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Are the 270's other than Reedy, all buy from members here?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

If you're still looking for a motor for your MRC, I would suggest looking at my current combo. I just installed a Novak Sidewinder Micro ESC and an Exceed RC Helium 250 Series brushless outrunner. I had a discussion with JohnRob Holmes about what to look for in a small outrunner. He suggested that the KV be in the 3500-4000KV range, at the least. The motor I have is 3500KV and with the Sidewinder set to "high" for start power, I have no issues at all. A caveat with this motor is that it's rather speedy at full throttle.

Now, the downside(s). The motor's mounting holes are different than the MRC's motor plate, so you will need to do some work to get it to mount up. I'm actually in the process of trying to find someone who can machine me a new motor mount with the proper mounting holes. The other downside to this motor is that it uses a 2.5mm shaft. I was able to hone out the stock Losi pinion and ground a flat spot on the motor's shaft.

Here's a link to the motor:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m60-heli...08-3500kv.html

Here's a pic of it mounted to the MRC's tranny.

bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

That motor is small.
And damn cheap.
Jesus.

Last edited by redemon; 07-15-2011 at 02:51 PM.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Too much speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
If you're still looking for a motor for your MRC, I would suggest looking at my current combo...A caveat with this motor is that it's rather speedy at full throttle.
And that's a problem? This looks like a good combo for the scaler I am building out of one of these closeout MRC Pros. I was worried about having enough speed to keep up with the larger rigs.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
If you're still looking for a motor for your MRC, I would suggest looking at my current combo. I just installed a Novak Sidewinder Micro ESC and an Exceed RC Helium 250 Series brushless outrunner. I had a discussion with JohnRob Holmes about what to look for in a small outrunner. He suggested that the KV be in the 3500-4000KV range, at the least. The motor I have is 3500KV and with the Sidewinder set to "high" for start power, I have no issues at all. A caveat with this motor is that it's rather speedy at full throttle.

Now, the downside(s). The motor's mounting holes are different than the MRC's motor plate, so you will need to do some work to get it to mount up. I'm actually in the process of trying to find someone who can machine me a new motor mount with the proper mounting holes. The other downside to this motor is that it uses a 2.5mm shaft. I was able to hone out the stock Losi pinion and ground a flat spot on the motor's shaft.

Here's a link to the motor:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m60-heli...08-3500kv.html

Here's a pic of it mounted to the MRC's tranny.

Would this work?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM1350H

I have a spare one of these.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

And, how is the cogging issues at low throttle input?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlHer View Post
My first and biggest question is, is this MRC Pro a Worm Drive or not?

No its not.

My second question is, is there really a difference between Crawler ESC's and ESC's like Castle Creations Sidewinder or Mamba Micro Pro?

The sidewinder is way bigger than the mamba micro pro. drag brake adjustability is the biggest thing. definitly other esc's will work but the ones you see people running are the best options. also some esc's are race specific and dont have a reverse option.

My third question is, do Brushless Outrunner motors need to be sensored like their Inrunner cousins?

in a crawler you want a sensored brushless motor other you will get alot of cogging in low throttle. if your looking for a brushless setup you can get novak mongoose which is sensored or Losi xceleron brushless setup which i dont know if its sensored or not. motor size is also something you need to look at and make sure there is plenty of room and that it will clear your transmission other you gotta start grinding the motor case and or the trans housing which i dont recommend.

My fourth question, do BEC brands matter or are they interchangeable?

as far as a BEC your beter off just getting the castle creations bec. this is the one i use in all of my rigs

My last question is, what size motor should I be looking for?

1/10 scale motor are to big. you want to look for 380 and 270 sized motors. like reedy stump puller, losi insane, team brood anarchy, crawler mafia motors.

hopefully that helps and ansewers your question

CrawlHer
Is there any big differences between Brood Anarchys and Crawler Mafia Contrabands?

If not, I'm about to go with Crawler Mafia, a 17t double wound....?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Would love to know more about that motor and if it works or not
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I payed for it... so we will see when it gets here.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #32

Just buy ur self the Mongose ESC and Motor and you will have plenty of power and it all fits just righ. It went into mine in a few mins and no guess work on anything. The mongose motor is a 280 size by the way and its quiet and has wheel speed when you need it, I used the stock gears and the pinion that came in the pack with the ESC.
Eddybigerstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I'm going Tekin FXr Pro and trying the contraband 17t double wind
Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I have a couple more questions.

A buddy of mine works on electric motors for RC stuff. He deals with brushed motors exclusively... that being stated he was questioning why the low windings in these rock crawler motors, and further questioning going with double windings... stating the low windings offer little to no resistance so it's like connecting the battery with a short, and doubling the windings makes the resistance even less... efectivly killing the battery's life span as well as possibly hurting the other electronics.

So I'm confused. I don't know enough to explain if he's right or wrong or different and or why.

Could any shed some light on this?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

To bad I didnt see this earlier. I have a small Hobbyking outrunner I never used that would have been perfect for the MRC Pro I was considering but I decided to go with a 1/10 SCX and a Brood Apocalypse HHK R/T 35t.

here is the outrunner http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5245
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I'd love to run an outrunner... but I fear runner it as it's not centered and I'm not knowledgeable enough to over come and trouble shoot the cogging.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Ive always read cogging isnt as much of an issue with outrunners. I dont know much about this but couldn't you also play with motor timing?
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Ive always read cogging isnt as much of an issue with outrunners. I dont know much about this but couldn't you also play with motor timing?
I'm in the same boat as you are with the mini's... I just don't know enough about them. Could I figure it out, I dunno... maybe. For the safe bet I'm using brushed first and I'll play around with the outrunners second.

I have a buddy looking into the whole sensored brushless thing and seeing if he can mod some outrunners for mini's with sensors, that would stop the cog for certain.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinside View Post
I have a couple more questions.

A buddy of mine works on electric motors for RC stuff. He deals with brushed motors exclusively... that being stated he was questioning why the low windings in these rock crawler motors, and further questioning going with double windings... stating the low windings offer little to no resistance so it's like connecting the battery with a short, and doubling the windings makes the resistance even less... efectivly killing the battery's life span as well as possibly hurting the other electronics.

So I'm confused. I don't know enough to explain if he's right or wrong or different and or why.

Could any shed some light on this?
No response on this, eh?