Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Better rod ends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Better rod ends?

I'm probably fartin' in the wind here, but I'm tired of breaking those danged tiny PITA lower link rod ends. Does anyone know of a better option (aluminum, better plastic, or.............)? It's always at the axle end where I break them, and there just doesn't appear to be enough material on the ears to drill them out to M3 (I'd rather break the rod end than the axle casing).
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Wanna get? Gotta want.

If it pans out this could solve all your problems.

Feeler thread

53 Willys is working on it now. You could do a Traxxas 1942 rod end of if your links can support it you could even do a Revo end.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll keep on eye on that!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

From what I can tell so far this is gonna be a awesome setup....I'm trying to get away with only running the link mount ring...doing just the link mount will make it so you can adjust caster and still adjust link/shock position too...not to mention you can widen up the shock spread at the axle and the links...
I pretty pumped to get out and try it..
Nice work and idea Erik!
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Any more movement on these things? I am about to build up an L-trail MRC scaler and this would enable me to mount the shocks outside the frame rails. Do you have an ETA on when we might see these in your store, Eric? Also, will they work on the rear axle?
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What about the 1/16th revo ends?

I will also be working on my Dlux mounts soon...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
5th D Owner/Driver

How are you breaking the rod ends before breaking the axle mounts? I dont think I've ever broken a rod end, but I have broken the link mounts and the only thing that has broke in the last 2 years are my Pro c/f chassis and the upper front link mount.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I run TT links with tmaxx ends
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
How are you breaking the rod ends before breaking the axle mounts?
Just lucky I guess! I'd MUCH rather break the rod end instead of the mount any day. I've managed to break 2 so far, 1 at the State Crawl-Off, and one the other day while practicing. Two isn't bad, but one of those could have cost me dearly!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
I run TT links with tmaxx ends
How are you running TMaxx ends on the axle end of the rods?????
I run Axial M3 ends on the chassis end, but they aren't the problem.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
What about the 1/16th revo ends?
I haven't seen them in person, would they fit? If so, I'll order some up and try 'em.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
I haven't seen them in person, would they fit? If so, I'll order some up and try 'em.
Not sure. I have some here...just havent tried them yet. I might try to fit them if I get some free time. They come with plastic rod ends though...

BTW, I cant recall ever breaking a stock MRC rod end...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelnate View Post
Any more movement on these things? I am about to build up an L-trail MRC scaler and this would enable me to mount the shocks outside the frame rails. Do you have an ETA on when we might see these in your store, Eric? Also, will they work on the rear axle?
The shock mounts will be a bit further out then the adapter rings. I didnt think there would be too much interest and I think its a lot to ask of my testers to destroy an axle housing if it does not work.

If you want, I can sell them when the adapters are ready. You just have to be willing to take the chance that they do not work. Its either that or wait until they are tested.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
If you want, I can sell them when the adapters are ready. You just have to be willing to take the chance that they do not work. Its either that or wait until they are tested.
Yes, I would love to get my hands on a set, even if I need to modify them a bit to work. Anything is better than those mounts they built into the axle housings.

And I've never seen it mentioned anywhere: do these work on the rear axle as well?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I agree. The axle mounts and more so, the tiny, sloppy rod ends have to go.

Sorry I missed your question before. No, they are not designed to work on the rear axle. The MRC axle is not too friendly to build parts for since nothing is round and true. I can work on it if there is some interest though. Maybe it would just be as simple as using the same shock mount I already designed and making a different ring to go around the lockout. At that point, I might have to look at making my own lockout and rear knuckle weights.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Talking I think I found a solution for the rears

Eric, I think I came up with a solution for the rear link/shock mounts. It's little more than a 1.5mm thick aluminum plate with a bunch of holes and a couple of notches cut into it. It would be secured using the existing extrusions and link tabs (well, only the tabs used to originally used to secure the links to the axle) on the axle and wouldn't require any modification to the axle housings themselves. Here is a rough drawing. It's neither drawn to scale, nor have I made the exact measurements needed to cnc it, but you'll get the point.

And it would slide nicely between the rear lockout and outer link attachment tab.

This plus your front link adapter and chub/knuckle mod would allow for the the use of the L-Trail chassis with a rail spacing of 65mm with the shocks mounted outside of the frame rails.

What do you think?

Last edited by pixelnate; 08-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
RCC Addict

That looks like a great idea.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelnate View Post
Eric, .....................

What do you think?
I think youre trying to sucker me into making the rear link mounts

Your idea has some good ideas in it. 1.5mm is close to .060 and I dont think I would trust that as far as strength. I am also not sure how I would feel about the whole thing being held on by one 2.5mm bolt. Like I said though, it has some good ideas behind it. Like everything, it just needs some work.

I will see if I can take a look at it sometime soon. I have way, way too much on my plate today.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I think youre trying to sucker me into making the rear link mounts
You got me there. I want to build up this chassis in the worst way, but I want to use some heavy duty links and don't want to run the shocks inside the rails. That said, I don't think I am the only one that would benefit by these being on the market. And since you are putting the R&D on the front ones...

Quote:
Your idea has some good ideas in it. 1.5mm is close to .060 and I dont think I would trust that as far as strength.
Honestly for as small a part as it would be, and the minimal loads on it, by virtue of the fact that these crawlers are really very light, I don't think it would be a problem, especially made out of aluminum.

Quote:
I am also not sure how I would feel about the whole thing being held on by one 2.5mm bolt. Like I said though, it has some good ideas behind it. Like everything, it just needs some work.
Really, it's the notches that would keep it from spinning on the axle housing. The screw is just added insurance. And and it would be sandwiched pretty tightly between the old link mount and the rear lockout.

Quote:
I will see if I can take a look at it sometime soon. I have way, way too much on my plate today.
Sure thing.