Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My daughter's trial truck build- Maxstone 16/Little tikes cabover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My daughter's trial truck build- Maxstone 16/Little tikes cabover

Now don't laugh guys...this is gonna look mean!

Started this build with my 5 year old a few nights ago while waiting for parts for my Bruder Mog build (coming soon). For the last year she's been rocking an Exceed Maxstone 16 that I set up as a comper, bug body and all. With my personal rig being converted to a trials rig I figured it was time to ask her if she would like to scale it up a little.

While she loves the idea and the trucks, I wasn't about to mod a $40 truck so she could rip it apart (she tries so hard, but needs practice). After a little searching yielded nothing acceptable my neighbor pulled out a Little Tikes cabover truck as a joke. I quickly jumped up, "no, seriously, give it here!" Doesn't get much tougher than Little Tikes, right?

Long story short, this is just the body. Adding a windshield and some scale goodies soon. I didn't get a lot of pics of the paint progress, but I will with the rest of the build. I also have a little more work to do with the silver Sharpie around the stacks in the back, and some detail work, but it's looking good so far.

Best of all, this time around the rig isn't a gift and she can help! Paint colors and details all hand picked by Brookelynn (yeah, I spelled my kid's name right). This will be her first hands on build, and she WILL be getting her hand dirty. Hell, she did 90% of the masking...

Plain cab after a little cutting and removing it from it's toy chassis

Primed

Painted and ready for detail work.

The stacks will get a little weathered metal look just like the grille. Silver Sharpie, dry, polish and distress with cloth. Simple.

Sent from my SCH-I535
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My daughter's trial truck build- Maxstone 16/Little tikes cabover

Very cool.

So is Brookelynn......

She's doin a fine job!
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not bad for 5 years old. She chose and masked most of it, she's a little young for paint though.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Interested to see what you've done with that chassis.

Looks like a heavily modified stocker.

I'm a big fan of making your own stuff when it's feasible.

Also, the unusual cab has me curious as to what's going to follow it.....

Edit: Just re-read the original post. Exceed, not MRC. Guess I don't know what I'm looking at.....hahaha

Last edited by MRCrackhead; 11-01-2013 at 09:16 PM.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I build two similar rigs with my boy a few years ago off the MaxStone 16 chassis.

toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

It is an unusual cab, but it's got style. It ought to be tough as nails as well. The chassis it was sitting on is actually part of my project. It started as a Sami build that I ran out of ambition for. It's all the stuff out of my MRC Pro comp rig (overdriven front, MIPs, billet center trans gear, plastic lower with steel locker, doubled motor plates, Novak Mongoose, billet spur, billet Pro knuckles, shocks, one piece lockouts with stainless rear axles, lots of caster, and beef tubes) with a 3 link and panhard up front. The chassis is cut down to go under the rails of the chassis I'm building for my Mog. The Mog is going on 3d printed portal boxes. The portals lift the center of the axle housing, which means everything else can be tucked up as well. With a 3.5" tire I'll be at over 2" under the skid with flat links and nice link geometry. Should make a mean trials rig...

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
I build two similar rigs with my boy a few years ago off the MaxStone 16 chassis.

Those are sick! My neighbor actually has the matching twin to this one and is building it on a Maxstone as well. I really didn't figure I could go wrong with this thing. It's got character as well. It looked like a Zombie survival rig or something when I shot the flat black. Too bad she only wanted the detailed stuff flat black...

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yeah. I think yours is going to look awesome.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Two reference pics of the original toy...stolen low quality pics at that.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I just bought materials for a chassis for this rig as well as my own. Progress should continue soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535

My daughter's trial truck build- Maxstone 16/Little tikes cabover - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Daughter's truck Mike490 Axial SCX-10 3 01-13-2015 06:19 PM
Woodenshoe's Trial Truck/ i dont know what to do yet build woodenshoe Axial SCX-10 14 06-25-2013 03:28 PM
Truck and Truck Trial / Competition RC /KAMAZ STAR FORD URAL ZIŁ PRAGA MAN KRAZ Rasalo Scale Videos! 3 09-17-2012 07:28 AM
"Euro Trial Truck" Re-build JpSonoma 1.9 Scale Rigs 45 08-01-2012 05:34 PM