Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Novak 380 issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default Novak 380 issue

I posted this in the electronics forum but no one replied. So, I'll try here. I have a novak 380 in my MRC with a Losi Xcelorin 1/18 crawler ESC. I have the wires hooked up just fine and my battery has power. I have forward, but no reverse or brakes. I've tried different batteries and re-calibrated the esc and that still didn't help. I have no idea what's wrong with it and I can't connect it to the computer with the little adapter. I need help. Also, does it matter if I use the castle link cord with the losi esc plug adapter?
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Novak 380 issue

I do not have an Xcelorin system, but it seems like you are in race mode. You need to look at the programming of the ESC
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If this adapter works I want one. I have an old Xcelorin that would be nice to program without the beeping and button pushing.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I own the same esc except I have the losi motor...in the manual all of the preset profiles have reverse. Therr is no race type modes because it was made specifically for the mrc...so my only thought is that someone either programed it manually with the card/computer to not have reverse or the esc is the issue... u got to either get a hold of a quick program card or get that computer set up running. ... my link setup came with a disk also but I do t know if u can just get the info from the internet...
jenijohnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijohnk View Post
I own the same esc except I have the losi motor...in the manual all of the preset profiles have reverse. Therr is no race type modes because it was made specifically for the mrc...so my only thought is that someone either programed it manually with the card/computer to not have reverse or the esc is the issue... u got to either get a hold of a quick program card or get that computer set up running. ... my link setup came with a disk also but I do t know if u can just get the info from the internet...
I have the disk and it's already loaded on the computer and I have a quick program card. But, I can't get the ESC to connect to the computer. I just get the little red light on the adapter that plugs into the esc. Would a regular USB to micro USB cord work? That's the only thing that I didn't get in the box.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Why are you trying to run a sensored Novak motor with a sensorless Losi ESC? Novak specifically stated that their motors ARE NOT to be used with sensorless ESCs. The fact that it still runs is amazing in it's own. My Novak lost one wire in the sensor lead bundle and burnt up two sets of windings in the motor because of it.

Last edited by 89redranger; 12-25-2014 at 05:47 PM.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Why are you trying to run a sensored Novak motor with a sensorless Losi ESC? Novak specifically stated that their motors ARE NOT to be used with sensorless ESCs. The fact that it still runs is amazing in it's own. My Novak lost one wire in the sensor lead bundle and burnt up two sets of windings in the motor because of it.
Because it's a sensored ESC. It's the one that's discontinued.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
Because it's a sensored ESC. It's the one that's discontinued.

It's news to me. Never heard of such a thing. Not arguing, just never seen one. I just know that trying to run these motors on a sensorless ESC does nothing but cause more problems. Even other sensored ESCs I tried threw fits with the Novak motor. Very coggy and jumpy. For whatever reason, it was one of the most particular motors I ever ran.

Shortly after the sensor lead broke it got canned in favor of a Micro Sidewinder and Extreme 380 brushed motor. Had I known I'd like that combo so well I would have probably never bothered with brushless in a comp style rig in the first place. The brushed setup as a whole is much more compact, lighter, simpler, smoother (though the Novak is pretty damned smooth for a BL setup...) and still has plenty of power.

Just a thought, have you tried turning all your EPAs and trims back to zero before re-calibrating? Occasionally my kids will mess with my TX knobs, and next thing I know I have no reverse or braking...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm going to to go try that and see what happens. Also, I'm probably going to order a Cobalt 380 too so I have a reliable set up too.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Well, it wasn't the EPA's. I thought to myself, maybe I should try changing the profile. Went to profile #1 and now I have reverse. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can't believe it was something as simple as changing the profile on the ESC and that it never crossed my mind.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The three 80 is a good motor I know your not suppose to run it without a sensored ESC but mine had the sensor go bad an novak does not just service that one part on the three 80 you have to trade in a new motor. Been running mine for a couple years without a sensor'ed esc I really need to pull the bad sensor board out of the motor an plug its opening to seal the motor up.
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote

Novak 380 issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak 380 OTHGbronco82 Electronics 10 10-21-2012 06:36 AM
Novak Mongoose 380 Pinion shaft Size?? skullking Electronics 9 07-12-2011 06:19 PM