Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Brushless Vaterra Slickrock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Brushless Vaterra Slickrock?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience putting a system like this into a Vaterra Slickrock or MRC?: TrackStar 1/18th Scale 14T Brushless power System (4300kv)

I got one in a trade and thought it would be a cool project to try to make a mini wraith but a) the torque twist is pretty extreme; and b) the drive shafts seem to be pretty fragile and I don't know if they can take brushless power.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!
twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brushless Vaterra Slickrock?

I've ran 4400kv motors in the 380 to 540 can size with slick rock/mrc axles using a different transmission without much issue but are you wanting to go slow or fast? If memory serves me right the slick rock has metal lockers in it so they should be fine mine just put a shim or two behind the pinion gear in the axle so it meshes better to the "diff"

Also for torque twist could make sway bar from some piano wire look at some of the rc monster truck sway bar setups for clods an txt-1's to get some ideas.

Heres a idea of what a mrc/slick rock axle based 540 powered rig looks like an she doesn't know the meaning of slow

and here is a vid link to it more assembled using a 13.5T 540 on board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SyRq_vJO9j8

can see a bit more on what I've been experimenting with my mrc here Another guy making custom 3D printed axle housing (lots of large pictures)
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the detailed answer and video!

So far what I've done is put the losi insane 370 motor in it, add 20mm wheel wideners, and am running some 2.2 sct wheels on it (I got them in the same trade and figured why not).

it's pretty quick but can still crawl. the only thing that's kind of weird with it right now is it still has the drag brake so I have to kind of slow it down with the throttle because if I just let go it'll try to come to a stop instead of roll. I think I might have an old regular brushed esc laying around somewhere though. I think I'm going to install it and see what kind of speed I get and go from there.

would a mini-t transmission be a straight transfer?
twomicros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

To use a mini T trans you will have to drill out the hole pattern of the transmission to the chassis mount. It does work out well I've tested that setup as well although you will need to mod the diff gear in the mini T trans to accept the center locker pieces from the slick rock so there isn't any binding.
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless Vaterra Slickrock? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Slickrock AZDIGGER Newbie General 2 08-04-2016 07:31 PM
Vaterra slickrock thabeast2002 Newbie General 2 07-28-2015 09:26 PM
new vaterra Slickrock gotmike General Crawlers 8 06-07-2015 02:53 PM
let's see your vaterra slickrock southernoregontoyota Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 12-02-2014 12:22 PM
VATERRA Slickrock - First run! DenisLM Videos! 2 11-04-2014 11:57 AM