Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks
Loading

Notices

Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Price Twp.
Posts: 1,160
Default Talk to me about a mudtruck

So it seems mud trucks are all the rage. We live in the mountains so there are pretty useless here, but we spend a month in Florida and see them all over. My boy wants to build one. I'm pretty clueless about what they are even supposed to do, other then thrash around in mud.


We have no direction, budget or deadline. Not that I am going to spend a fortune on it, just that we may put a few bucks in it every paycheck.


So wtf am I looking at/for.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 573
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

I would start with a trx4 sport or an smt10, get mud truck tires from Jconcepts, throw a brushless system in it (it's not really meant to crawl, and sensors are just another thing to fail, so I would use a sensorless system), get a good servo, and for an smt10 you'd be done, but for the trx4 of add the long travel kit.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 213
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Add those side rail plate to the scx10 chassis and add some wraith axles maybe...

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
oklamopar likes this.
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Goshen
Posts: 95
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
I would start with a trx4 sport or an smt10, get mud truck tires from Jconcepts, throw a brushless system in it (it's not really meant to crawl, and sensors are just another thing to fail, so I would use a sensorless system), get a good servo, and for an smt10 you'd be done, but for the trx4 of add the long travel kit.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
This. Great answer. The trx has portals so better clearance, while the smt10 is wider, which is more stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 142
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

My trx4 with lift kit and 5.8 inch tires and it makes a good mud truck, it's actually a Bronco under so has two speed and spools so extra wheel spin just go into higher gear.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Natedog and mud bogger like this.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 573
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
My trx4 with lift kit and 5.8 inch tires and it makes a good mud truck, it's actually a Bronco under so has two speed and spools so extra wheel spin just go into higher gear.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
For whatever reason the sport body looks better on big tires and a lift kit. Looks pretty cool, have you tried Jconcepts fling king tires yet? I think they'd look even better.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman likes this.
MasteroFlego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Price Twp.
Posts: 1,160
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

So that's it huh.


Well that's pretty basic, we can do that.
Looks like we have a starting point thanks.
great pointer on the brushless, that will reduce the cost. What kv we talking on 3s. I am guessing lots of wheel speed and over heating isn't an issue because you aren't running for long periods.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 142
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
So that's it huh.


Well that's pretty basic, we can do that.
Looks like we have a starting point thanks.
great pointer on the brushless, that will reduce the cost. What kv we talking on 3s. I am guessing lots of wheel speed and over heating isn't an issue because you aren't running for long periods.
Mamba X sensored with 3800kv on 3s and its crazy on my trx I had to gear it down but as a mud truck that combo will make mud fly.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 573
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Of you do go sensored, use dielectric grease in the sensor connections.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman likes this.
MasteroFlego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 213
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Lmao i ran 3800kv slate with the mamba x on 3s geared 80/20 in an scx10 for a while lmao it was a beast throw quite the rooster tails with my fenderless jeep body

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk
Natedog and Exiwolfman like this.
jokersinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pasadena, tx
Posts: 991
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

i suggest the traxxas velineon system. they're cheap, reliable, and i can attest to 100% wp capabilities and can be ran under water.

its what i use on my mud truck with 3s and its plenty.
Exiwolfman likes this.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 573
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
i suggest the traxxas velineon system. they're cheap, reliable, and i can attest to 100% wp capabilities and can be ran under water.

its what i use on my mud truck with 3s and its plenty.
The 2 pole or 4 pole version?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I'm pretty clueless about what they are even supposed to do, other then thrash around in mud.

This has been me trying to understand if they had any other purpose than that as well. LOL
Ditchrat likes this.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pasadena, tx
Posts: 991
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
The 2 pole or 4 pole version?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
i have both versions, either will work just fine.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Price Twp.
Posts: 1,160
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
This has been me trying to understand if they had any other purpose than that as well. LOL



I'm thinking maybe something with big lift, mud tires that could also be something the boy can bomb around the creek with.


From the info these guys gave me, some pm'ing and reading it looks like I am going to get a plate chassis marry it to a scx10 frame, insert a cheap brushless system(found a 120amp WP esc and 4 poll motor for $30.00), slap a hardend steel tranny, driveshafts, gears, ect on it. Those big old jconcept tractor tires.


As for axles I am thinking wraith will be better because they are wider.


It is going to be a glorious failure, or something the kid can beat on and get dirty in the swamp behind my house.


No matter what it is going to be muddy throwing good time, and I am going to sit back drink a beer and laugh my ars off.


I'll buy the parts, the kid and break them and put new ones on, its going to be a great winter project for the two of us.
Steve g likes this.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 8,817
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

They're pretty much monster trucks with skinny tires. The height gives you ground clearance and the skinny tires cut through the mud to get down to the compacted mud or dirt to get maximum traction.

They're too specialized for me to worry about, but they might also work well in snow that's only a couple of inches deep.

Anyway, if I were going to build one I'd probably use an Axial SMT10 and JConcepts products to make a scale version of King Sling.

JConcepts New Release – King Sling Mega Truck Body – JConcepts Blog



RC Sling King in action:



The real King Sling is impressive as hell!

Mike Flea and durok like this.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-08-2018 at 01:40 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,284
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They're pretty much monster trucks with skinny tires. The height gives you ground clearance and the skinny tires cut through the mud to get down to the compacted mud or dirt to get maximum traction.

They're too specialized for me to worry about, but they might also work well in snow that's only a couple of inches deep.

Anyway, if I were going to build one I'd probably use an Axial SMT10 and JConcepts products to make a scale version of King Sling.
I really have no use for one... There's no mud here in the southern left coast.

If I were to build one I'd do it with my SMT10.. I kind of like the JConcept Bog Hog body... would use the same JConcepts wheels and tires as well.
JatoTheRipper and durok like this.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
durok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,925
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Gotta post up a pic of the Bog Hog - would look fantastic in military green with USMC or US Army logos stenciled on it in black or yellow:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #19
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pasadena, tx
Posts: 991
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Also, if it will stay muddy, nasty, in water, etc. i suggest using bronze bushings where you can.
itll help from you having to disassemble after every muddy use.
also, use a good marine grease. i use penzoil green stuff and it works awesome!
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 8,817
Default Re: Talk to me about a mudtruck

Here's an interesting and inexpensive take on a Mega Truck from JConcepts based on a Traxxas Stampede.

Mega Truckin’ Your Traxxas Stampede – JConcepts Blog
ternandbern likes this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Talk to me about a mudtruck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school talk and job talk Logan0987 Chit Chat 24 07-06-2014 02:14 PM
scale? mudtruck? BrandonG General Scale Talk 8 03-26-2013 10:21 AM
somebody talk me out of it..... madbob Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 08-24-2007 01:37 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com