Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: any known issues with the Losi Trekker? or must do mods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default any known issues with the Losi Trekker? or must do mods?

thinking about picking up one of these little guys
seems like fun!

are there any known issues with these? what are popular mods?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

They;re pretty good,servos are abit dodgy,other than that,they;re good.
My 4yr old s got one,treats it as 4yrs do,and hasnt broken a thing.
For mods,check out the Micro MOD bible in the micro section.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

thanks i see alot of people mentionig upgradeing to a hitech metal gear servo. but they NEVER mention which one or even what size lol. any help there?

is the micro mod bible not a sticky? i dont see it at the top here...

thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
DVS
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
thanks i see alot of people mentionig upgradeing to a hitech metal gear servo. but they NEVER mention which one or even what size lol. any help there?

thanks
Micro Mod Bible

Micro Mod bible
DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:

thanks
There are a few things with the Trail Trekker.

1. Go LIPO get The Dynamite 7.4v 2s LIPO 180mah the batteries had the right connectors already attached and they are cheap I got mine at Amain hobbies.

2. The Lipo cut off is built into the batteries not the ESC (got this info straight from Losi)

3. The stock wheels are glued on and not real beadlocks.

4. RC4WD sells some nice aluminum beadlock and Tires http://store.rc4wd.com/Losi-Micro-cr...el_p_1105.html

5. I run my fronts with some solder wrapped around the hub and no foams and
that seems to be a perfect ballance

6. The shocks on this truck as very fragile so if your going to pull them off be prepared to bend/break them.

7. The truck is 1/24 scale and most plastic model bodies are 1/20th scale

8. You can find Toyota FJ, Jeep wrangler, and Hummer bodies that fit the wheel base dead on at ToysRus (Road Rippers http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Rippers...-/250869183932)

9. The stock body is very scale and looks great once the stickers are pulled off

10. The Trail Trekker is an amazing little truck! I would buy it again if I had to.

I also upgraded the stock servo to the Hi-Tech one and I'll have to check when I get home. I think its the HS-5055MG

Here is a picture/video of my Trail Trekker and the RC4WD beadlocks and tires. The body is from Toys-r-us

VIDEO

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 09-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The Servo is the HiTec HS65 MG

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Feather-Servo
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

wow great post! tons of good info! many thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
wow great post! tons of good info! many thanks!
Your Welcome.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm also thinking about picking up one of these things to make a scale rig of my real rig ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUAuEYHXwI
98 SNAKE EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

tires and weights a must to have fun i say no lipos, its a crawler not supposed to be fast plus the batteries dont last long i have the orginal batt. and i out last two of my buddies lipos an still crawl anywhere. (almost lol) save the money an just learn this "tire placement" an u will be happy
microNthuzest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microNthuzest View Post
tires and weights a must to have fun i say no lipos, its a crawler not supposed to be fast plus the batteries dont last long i have the orginal batt. and i out last two of my buddies lipos an still crawl anywhere. (almost lol) save the money an just learn this "tire placement" an u will be happy
Not trying to start anything but really dude? Lipo's are the way to go for any application in RC and if your telling people different then you do not know what your talking about.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Not trying to start anything but really dude? Lipo's are the way to go for any application in RC and if your telling people different then you do not know what your talking about.

Well..... Its actualy more of personal preference.But a crawler is suposed to be slow and precise,not fast and able to bump over anything....I personaly have a stock,2s 350 mah and 1s 1000 mah batts.And for general crawling i woud say that the 1s is the best.For more faster crawling and still precise i woud say that the stock batt is the right choise.And for fast crawling,bumping over things and lose gravel i woud say that the 2s is the way to go.But lets say you are watching a video...Woud you prefer the crawler going slow and steady over obsticles,getting the "Scale Look".Or you prefer the crawler acting like a race car and bumping over obsticles.Then again,if you have a good TX you can go slow and steady over things but if your with stock (like me) you will have a poor "low end control".SO if your a scale more kind of a person i woud prefer the 1s.
But there are some isues of using 1s:
1.No low voltage cutoff
2.if you are runing too heavy tires or your overal rig is too heavy you dont want a 1s.You need more torque.
3.Ive heard that if you upgrade the servo (hitec,t-pro,...) Then you woudn't have enought voltage to ster properly.

And remember - It is all about taste
rapttor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapttor View Post
Well..... Its actualy more of personal preference.But a crawler is suposed to be slow and precise,not fast and able to bump over anything....I personaly have a stock,2s 350 mah and 1s 1000 mah batts.And for general crawling i woud say that the 1s is the best.For more faster crawling and still precise i woud say that the stock batt is the right choise.And for fast crawling,bumping over things and lose gravel i woud say that the 2s is the way to go.But lets say you are watching a video...Woud you prefer the crawler going slow and steady over obsticles,getting the "Scale Look".Or you prefer the crawler acting like a race car and bumping over obsticles.Then again,if you have a good TX you can go slow and steady over things but if your with stock (like me) you will have a poor "low end control".SO if your a scale more kind of a person i woud prefer the 1s.
But there are some isues of using 1s:
1.No low voltage cutoff
2.if you are runing too heavy tires or your overal rig is too heavy you dont want a 1s.You need more torque.
3.Ive heard that if you upgrade the servo (hitec,t-pro,...) Then you woudn't have enought voltage to ster properly.

And remember - It is all about taste
You might get a slight bump in speed by adding .2volts (mind you that is only two tenths of a volt) but trust me isn't going to make your rig so fast it's not going to be able to crawl anymore. In most cases you will not even be able to tell the difference.

Standard 6 cell NIMH battery is 7.2v and a 2s LIPO is 7.4v

If people want to run NIMH then have at it. My problem is when someone gives misinformation that can lead people down the wrong path.

If you want slower speeds that is what the throttle is for.

I run a 2s in my Micro, AX10, SCX10, and CC-01 and all of my rigs can crawl as slow as a snail so I do not understand the argument that a 2s makes your rig to fast. The ESC and Throttle governs how fast you go. Now if you talking about 3s or higher (11.1v) then yes it would be overkill for crawling but once again you could use throttle control to go as slow or fast as you wanted.

The proof is in this video using a 2s 800mah Lipo with the stock ESC

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 10-02-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I agree.But the stock battery is 4.2 v (4 cell)i havent seen a 6 cell in a trekker yet.And try to go very slow with a 1s and with a 2s and you will see the diference.

rapttor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapttor View Post
I agree.But the stock battery is 4.2 v (4 cell)i havent seen a 6 cell in a trekker yet.And try to go very slow with a 1s and with a 2s and you will see the diference.

Oh man I forgot the stock battery was only 4.2v Good point and observation. When I bought my TT I ordered LIPO and never ran the stock battery. My bad

That being said I can still have my truck move at a snails pace with throttle control.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 10-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.