Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: HBX 1/20 Toyota FJ70 Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: HBX 1/20 Toyota FJ70 Cruiser

I'm so glad you're back on this one! It's one of my current favorite builds! I'm loving the look of it in primer, and the tuck works nicely.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I agree this is turning out awesome, love the stance!
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Well after a not-so brief interlude with the D90 I'm back on this again. Taking a break can be good - I realised the windscreen was a bit squashed looking, even though the door top heights were right, and the roll hoop also looked ridiculously high. After a few more hours on google image search it dawned on me that the top of the screen was too low and the door tops needed more material adding, so I reworked it. Also got the glass in. A small change really but it looks a lot closer to the 1:1 now I think:

After playing with the RC4WD I decided to chassis mount the servo:

I tried this before with the hilux, but with the servo laid down and it just moved the axle up and down. Obviously I missed this day at school - it never occurred to me that the slight arc of the servo arm in this orientation was enough to lift the axle. Mounting it vertically seems to completely eliminate the issue. I see a lot of people going 3-link and panhard bar for CMS but it seems to work fine with just straight 4-link on both trucks - am I missing something?

The styrene box at the front is the start of a full underbody that will be bolted to the chassis to stiffen it up. The factory interior is okay and I'll be keeping the dash, but I have room to go full depth with the floor and seats, so it has to be done Front wheel wells and bulkhead to add next, then the floorpan and interior. The rear suspension turrets are the only problem as they're so tall - I'll have to think about what to do there.

I carved up the transmission some more to try these cheapo gear motors from china - they look pretty but didn't meet expectation. I've no idea what ratio the stocker is, so went for a 1000rpm (small can) and 300rpm (long can).The cans are ever so slightly bigger diameter than the losi (but same screw hole spacing), so I was hoping for good things:

The 1000rpm unit is okay, but too high geared and struggled over bumps never mind inclines. I felt a bit like RC4WD must've done recently, but not as bad ;/ Then I tried the slower long can, expecting it to be equivalent to the stock setup. Wrong. Similar speed and low-speed control, but lame torque. Unfortunately they use very fine toothed pinions and I wrecked the long can trying to remove it. I don't have much luck with pinions :(

Some more gratuitous pics. You might notice the wheel wideners are back on - running proved the tyre rub at the front was too much, so no more tuck for me :(

I'd love to be able to put a 130 in this, but they aren't a straight fit - polulu do a 29:1 gearhead unit but it uses a 4mm D shaft and this uses 3mm. Still I'm happy enough with the performance from the stock unit - it was just nice to run it around for a bit.

Last edited by Sparks1337; 06-06-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I will look closely at motor situation �� It is feels like I need upgrade.Btw frame mounted servo always sexy lol.Now switch from plastic to metal on center steering link will look so much better ��
bolo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Cheers Bolo I agrre the plastic link has to go - I'm also going to shave the lugs from the top of the pumpkin as they're no longer needed - should make the front axle pretty clean looking. Looking back at my crappy photos I can see a few areas of bodywork that need more attention too.

The motors are a bit of a mystery - I guess HBX put some thought in and used a high number of winds and the chinese ebay ones are just bog standard. A 600rpm long can version arrived in the post today which should give some nice wheel speed, but I have a feeling it will be as weak as the others.

I don't know how the stock sumo compares, but a HBX motor should theoretically give you some more torque because of the longer can. I think I'm ready to settle for stock performance in this, at least for now.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Well time flies - had to dredge this thread up from p5 for an update!

The 70 series isn't dead - I've just spent the last few months lost in a styrene jungle! I've decided this rig is gonna have zero vpl (visible power lines) so the floorpan/interior grew to be rather complex, housing all the electrics and wiring. Filling negative space is a proper mind-bender - the result has been hacked around a fair bit and doesn't look very pretty, but does a good job of maximising the internal space. It has also stiffened the chassis up no end:

As usual I've taken a few steps backward in order to go forward. I decided the bonnet (hood) needs to open. I also needed light buckets. That meant reconstructive surgery for the front of the shell. As with the floorpan, it isn't pretty but is designed so the grill and lights clip into place like they should. The shell is also a clip fit over the floorpan interior, which will be screwed to the chassis:

It's also sat on new boots - I treated myself to the other Gearhead Rim design and a set of baja claws. Big improvement to the looks imo and a bit closer to the 1:1 inspiration truck:

I modded the stock dash to recess the dials and add stalks and an ignition key to the column - strangely they used the dash from a lc60 but it's better than anything I can do so I'm going with it:

I've found a driver - she's a perfect fit with no chopping. Seats and tunnel console/storage also done, just need a bit of finishing. Oh, and a metal steering link just for Bolo

This is how it sits at the moment, plenty more to do:

Old 01-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

So I've made a micro winch. An N20 staggered 100RPM gear motor, a bit of brass plate, some countersunk M2 screws some 4mm ally tube, two washers, a length of 1/8" brass rod, some 2mm styrene and a bearing.

My brasswork is a bit, erm, homemade but it's strong and it runs true. No idea if it'll work yet but it fits under the passenger seat (just) and will run througha tube to the front - thinking of mounting the dummy warn from my willys up front we'll see. Excuse the state of my much hacked floorpan:

Last edited by Sparks1337; 01-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Control is via a 5A esc I found on ebay - not sure what the motor will draw hopefully it won't pop the board, which is tiny:
Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

...and it lives!
Running at 5v from the aux1 channel. I'm stoked
http://vid1081.photobucket.com/album...psza8by9ep.mp4
Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
...and it lives!
Running at 5v from the aux1 channel. I'm stoked
http://vid1081.photobucket.com/album...psza8by9ep.mp4
That's freakin' awesome! What an ingenious idea. I love it!
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Got one of the staggered motors coming from China - looking forward to mercilessly copying your design!
jimbo_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Dammit should've filed that patent before posting

Jimbo, just be aware you'll need a fair bit of room in your rig to install one of these - when mounted as above it's approx 25mm front to back and 30mm wide (could make it narrower with a shorter spool) and about 10mm high. It is also pretty heavy, about 16g all in. However it kicks like a mule and should take well over a metre of 0.5mm line.

Since my secret is already out on facebook I may as well share it here - a 7mm pager motor/gearbox that could feasibly sit up front on larger scale rigs like the D90:
Mini Geared motors full metal Gear 716 magnetic coreless motor | eBay

Also for anyone who wants a ready-made working winch check this out, a guy on facebook takes the credit for this find, made for the Ares Ethos QX130 quadcopter:
ARES Winch Unit: Ethos QX130 | eBay

They also do a missile launcher, water cannon, usb camera and bubble machine!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Too late for a patent!

I need it for my leaf sprung IFA-50 so size isn't an issue, and I have got the ARES winch coming too for my Jeep or even the Orlandoo F-150 depending on its size...

Pager motor looks good too, it's on my watch list.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Cool I love that IFA, look me up if you ever come to sell it. This is the esc I used - nice and small and simple:
MicroRC 5A Bi-Directional Brushed ESC For RC Car | eBay
Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

It's mine all mine!

Got a couple of those 5A ESC's and the motors turn up yesterday, motors will be perfect but neither of the ESC's are working...

Power and Rx signals are all correct as the servo works fine, but there is no activity on the motor (no power when checked with a multi-meter) - think they're both dead FETs, so asking for a replacement from the eBay seller!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Aw pants :( I wired mine up as per the pic in the ad but it did nothing - I rewired it and deleted the separate power supply so it just has the rx lead and motor lead and it works just fine so maybe try that?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

In awe of this build, I'm now going to have to have a look at a micro build myself now. The seats and the interior I can only dream of building that good
Scaler Ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Thanks man

Go for it, my skillz aren't all that. Practice, patience and hours on google images looking at 1:1s must make up for a lack of talent in my case I guess ;)

Both her hands are gonna be on the wheel but I added a gear shift, high/low ratio and handbrake anyway. You can't see but the seats and centre cubby are now glued in and the whole thing is split 60/40, held to the floorpan unit with a handful of tiny 2mmx1mm neo magnets. Gives me easy access to remove the winch in case of tangles

Old 01-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Also, the winch is now drilled for line and is a confirmed beast. Bordering on the power of a 1:10 winch. Is there a way to isolate it using channel mixing on the spektrum dx4s so I don't accidentally set it in motion?
Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

click

click

HBX 1/20 Toyota FJ70 Cruiser - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota FJ Cruiser Jr. pardonmyn00b Tamiya XC/CC01 93 07-25-2015 02:49 PM
Toyota fj cruiser fw1124 Tamiya XC/CC01 18 06-25-2010 10:44 PM
BJ70 or FJ70 anyone makes a body???/ norbyx Paint and Body 0 05-15-2010 11:11 PM
Toyota FJ Cruiser Maciek 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 09-12-2008 03:49 PM
1:10 Toyota FJ Cruiser... WVB Paint and Body 5 08-23-2007 01:53 PM