Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Futaba s148 motor controller for Orlandoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Default Futaba s148 motor controller for Orlandoo

I recently built an orlandoo pajero kit. I was not impressed with the hobby king esc for it. It worked just fine, but it stutters at slow speed and doesn't have a very slow startup. I wanted better but i doubt have much money. So i thought of a servo. They have awesome slow control of the servo horn, and if modified as a winch they work as an esc.

I had a futaba s148 servo from back in the day that still works. I pulled out the board and removed the motor. I soldered the leads from the orlandoo motor onto the board and powered everything up with a rx pack so i could center the pot and glue it in place so the trim would be set. Same mods to make a servo winch. I also lowered the potentiometer and bent the pins so it would be more compact. Here it is wired up to test the proof of concept.

I also learned when i set the center point that the servo board applies full throttle by about 20% throttle. I dialed back the throttle and brake epas down to 25, which allowed proper resolution of the throttle curve. I can already feel that the slow speed control is way better.

Since my servo runs low voltage, i programmed a cc bec for 4.8v and mounted it. I put a y in the battery leads and i run 2s directly into the s148 controller, and the bec powers the rx and the steering. I tested the motor for 5 min continuously and the board didn't even warm up. The orlandoo motor is smaller than the s148 motor so i think it will last. Time will tell.

I'm almost done wiring it all up but my final set up will be
Futaba r614 rx
Cc bec @4.8v
Hobby king 5320s servo for steering
Futaba s148 servo board with signal wire in ch2
2s 200mah wired directly to the s148 power wires and the bec

Im working on fitting all this inside and I'm doing pretty good so far. Even with a full size rx and plugs, i still have some free space id like to fit a light controller or 2 for channels 3 and 4.

I thought people would be interested in a really fantastic motor controller with really good low end for probably free. I think most people have a 3003, 3004, traxxas 2055, whatever standard servo laying around. I want to try a hs81 board at some point too, much smaller and might still hold up.

Im trying to get my pics to work, i just installed flickr and i thought putting the url in the pic button utility would work, but apparently not. Ill keep trying

Last edited by AJames; 11-06-2017 at 09:59 PM.
AJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Bpw

Default Re: Futaba s148 motor controller for Orlandoo

That really cool man, great idea. I had am orlandoo and I to was less than happy with the esc
Bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Awesome man, i hope this works... ive never been 10% happy with my orlandoos, post up some videos...

Here... ive got a bit of a different take on the Orlandoo ESC..... I wasn't to happy with the low end control, there was no smooth transition.

I tried a few other ESC with no great success, but then i tried a different motor (i went from 80rpm to 150rpm)... and wow, the difference is day and night.

My theroy is... I dont think its the ESC. I think the 80rpm motor has to much torque....

With very light throttle inputs u can stall a 150-200rpm motor before it starts to turn, this give it a smoother transition from crawling to stationary. where the 80rpm just has to much torque to stall.... the slightest throttle and its away...

here man... this may sound really strange... but to go slower i had to fit a faster motor....

here is a guick video of the 150rpm motor with a 10a ebay esc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Sv3CERQcQ
Phmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

hey man just noticed u are using a HK5320s.... i use them for my Jeeps and the HK5330s for my Fords. great servos... heaps better that the low voltage orlando ones, I found when plugged into the 3in1 ESC low voltage servo port they would glitch and make strange noises but plugged into the receiver they are a power house. (3in1 esc, bec is 5v)

if ya keen, ive been running mine of 5v since March and no issues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GorEEKqsI
Old 11-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

for builds with out lights ive been using these in my Orlandoos... but im really interested in your idea... if it works just as good is got to be an improvement been smaller and lighter

10a current limit
simple voltage reg
5v 1a BEC
and most importantly a LVD

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9G-RC-10...sAAOSwQaJXQ8Mz

Futaba s148 motor controller for Orlandoo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba 4PLS and Heyok light controller - Help! 2-shot Electronics 4 04-17-2016 08:52 PM
futaba 2.4ghz controller phre0n Electronics 6 06-26-2011 03:37 PM
Help me choose a Futaba controller BadRockNoCookie Electronics 10 10-23-2009 12:46 AM
speed controller/motor clod driver 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 06-08-2009 05:04 PM