Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: What is awesome & small right now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

Default What is awesome & small right now?

What micro crawlers are worth getting in 2017? I've been out of the loop, and apparently I missed an epic opportunity of a $15 Basher Rocksta kit in 2016, now $50. :(

And by "get in 2017" doesn't necessarily mean manufactured/released in 2017.

My criteria, basically:
-4 mode steering
-lipo swappable batteries (none of this built-in, charge-in-vehicle crap like the HBX Devastator). Mod for lipo is ok too, if easily done with LVC.
-Durable (kids will play)
-Under $100
-mods/upgrades (good community hacking info)
-Not outright discontinued
-decent at... well... crawling, for realz (within reason for its size)

Yeah... sounds like the Basher Rocksta, right? But the problem is, HobbyKing is really annoying, not shipping from USA, and international shipping costs are astoundingly high. I can get an RTR for $58, but I'm stubborn about paying almost as much as the vehicle in shipping. Grrrrr. Worse still, they are chronically out of stock for parts, and who knows... soon to be discontinued? I dunno. And their customer service is completely useless when I ask direct questions about this, and about stocking US warehouses, etc.

Anyway, where are the good budget micro vehicles presently? I've got no existing gear, not opposed to buying kits and electronics separately, BUT I estimate that would cost as much as 2x or 3x more just to get up and running (and too many hours into research about what parts, etc). I'd rather go RTR and upgrade/mod/invest as time goes on, vs try and spend 4 months building and 3x cost up front.

Those of you who have been following the market, trends, vehicles releases more than me... I'd love to hear from you!
roachslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What is awesome & small right now?

1/35th Orlandoo is where it's at IMO.

Two different chassis and plenty of aftermarket upgrades are turning up too.

Small enough to be used indoor or out and really easy to modify with cheap model kit bodies!

ARTR Jeep Wrangler (just add Tx and small Rx) - https://www.asiatees.com/display?Orl...d=132911&pid=1

Kit Ford F-150 (will need all electronics - see the suggested bundle) - Orlandoo F150 OH35P01 KIT Assemble Climbing RC Car Parts Version Sale - Banggood.com

There are some much better servos to try out and an active community on FB (if that's the way you roll!)
jimbo_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
RCC Addict

RC Basher RockSta 1/24 4WS Mini Rock Crawler (Kit) | eBay

Shipping from Oregon
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #4

The Basher was $15? When?

The ProLine Ambush is an option. I'd avoid the RC4WD 1/18 Gelande. All accounts say it's garbage in stock form and it needs work just to get it to crawl...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Basher was $15? When?
'parently, just a few months ago, yeah. Saw some threads here and in other forums, check this out:
My Basher Rocksta Mods/Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Yes, but I'd like to go RTR if I could. For $14 more, I wont need to hunt down another $100 or so in my own electronics & radio. That said... I'd consider it if it wasn't so questionable about parts and future (but HK wont comment when I ask).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo_wa View Post
1/35th Orlandoo is where it's at IMO. ...
Dude, what the? This is like a Stomper sized little thing. LOL. Ok, I'll have to look in to this as suggested.

I was unimpressed by the Gelande after the first article I found, and even less impressed with each after. The Proline Ambush looks like a nice little rig, but I'm not sure why it needs to be so $$$.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachslayer View Post

I was unimpressed by the Gelande after the first article I found, and even less impressed with each after. The Proline Ambush looks like a nice little rig, but I'm not sure why it needs to be so $$$.
I was wondering the same thing about the Ambush..
Probably that nice little radio they give you with it.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I bought a Redcat Sumo and an ECX Temper for my sons for Christmas and I must say that the Sumo is the better car. $100 seemed a bit steep for the Sumo, but I'd still say that it is a better value than the $80 Temper.

Real beadlock wheels, 4 mode 4ws, metal suspension links, and ring/pinion axles (as opposed to worm gear like Losi/ECX/Ambush, or MOA like the Basher) were all selling points for me. I soldered on a new connector and use a 250mah 2s meant for a Losi Trail Trecker and it is much better all around now.

I considered the Ambush for myself, but just couldn't justify the cost since I just wanted it to put a static model body on, and it would mostly just sit on the shelf. An ECX with one of Fungi's chassis might be the better choice for that purpose.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

It came down to Sumo and HBX Devastator. I think HBX is the way to go. 1/35 Orlandoo is unquestionably cool, but I set 4ws as a #1 priority in my preferences.

#1 hope was Basher Rocksta. HobbyKing ticks me off, so no Rocksta is happenin. It's not just that they are out of stock on the unit and spares, its that they can't even say whether they EVER will be back in stock which sucks the confidence right out of the purchase. No foreseen future for the Rocksta, and we all know metal gears (out of stock) are needed right out of the gate.

Check this out, a guy who has been waiting 2+ months for metal gears, and HK simply says "we don't know when, wait 30 days".
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post37263853

Yeah, meanwhile, 60 days passes and the only thing we see is even more parts out of stock, and price hikes on things that are! Wow. They earned the Vote of No Confidence.

Anyway... looking forward to getting into micro crawlers! HBX will get mods too, starting with the batt.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

If you're looking to get another one, I'd go either with the sumo crawler (put on some bigger/better RC4WD tires and wheels and go lipo). This is what I have done and love it. Also, even better than this would be to find a used Losi micro crawler online. Though, it does not have 4 wheel steer.
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default What is awesome & small right now?

Part together a Losi for less than $100...while supplies last.

http://lynxmicrotech.com/parts/

I recommend a Goat or Spector chassis. Here's my 4ws Goat.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 10-04-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Man, this looks so temping to do myself. I've got a modded Sumo crawler and a modded Losi mini crawler I've turned into a scaler. Love them both, but starting to enjoy the micro again. Great for building some small scale, realistic crawler courses for the back porch, home/office, etc. with Great Stuff foam and and some natural components (stones, etc) to make it all the more scale. Great for anytime but also a rainy day. You're right.....this is the best way to go for sure in terms of micro right now!!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

BTW, looks like Fungi is not taking orders and is closed since June for the time being. I have tried to email him and no response.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

If anyone wants more of a 1/24 scaler, here is a nice option: Put a Proline Ambush body on a Redcat Sumo crawler. With modded tires and wheels it looks awesome (sorry no pics). The one thing wrong is the body posts are really too short for the body. Either mod some sort of Velcro system or extend the body posts out more. Mine is a work in progress right now. (BTW- the sumo crawler is a great option all around even with the stock body trimmed up a bit. Get some RC4WD super swamper tires and steel beadlocks, convert to lipo power, cut shock springs in half, and you're good to go! I also put 2 of the 4 aaa batteries in the battery tray for some lcg weight and monted the 350mah lipo in the front servo with Velcro. Don't count it out everyone!)
Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

If anyone is looking to include some speed in their 1/24th stable, check out Carisma's 1/24 GT24 lineup. Brushless, 2s lipo ready, high quality, very durable build, great looks and performance and price. Best 1/24 speed vehicles out there! comes in rally, truggy and MT.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Orlandoos, definitely Orlandoos. The coolest thing about them is that they are as complex as a 1/10 scale rig, yet are much smaller. All others, with the exception of RC4WD's 1/18 D90 which needs heavy modding, are simply toys by comparison and cost twice to four times as much.

Metal links instead of plastic, full 4 link suspension, a choice of were to put the steering servo, many upgrade parts, and a beautifully scale hard body. Not to mention being able to turn the lights on and off from the remote with low and high beam headlights.

They are a kit builders dream and I friggin' love them! Anyone that enjoys kit building as well as scale modeling should get one of these. I prefer the Jeep, but any of the three current models is a joy to build and play with.
stopmojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

https://www.asiatees.com/article?RGT...rawler&id=3087

Ordered this today because I couldn't wait for the ECX micro Barrage.
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol Pete View Post
https://www.asiatees.com/article?RGT...rawler&id=3087

Ordered this today because I couldn't wait for the ECX micro Barrage.
That's pretty cool! Out of stock now though
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Spotted this while looking for obscure parts. Anyone wanna guess what it says when you cart it?

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...pm=a230r.1.0.0

Edit
Same one over at Ali
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Auto...ddresstype=600

Last edited by Brake Weight; 01-05-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote

What is awesome & small right now? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testors Clear Parts & Window Maker glue for small lexan cracks & tears... racer155 Paint and Body 1 09-25-2013 07:54 AM