Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: How are you guys installing lynx steel pinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #1

Default How are you guys installing lynx steel pinions?

Hello everyone.
I have some lynx 9t pinions.
They are hardened well. I havent found any brass 9t pinions in .3 mod over the last few years. Always sold out.
I'm rebuildng my cr-24 and have a 64t ring Gear to go with the 9t.
I hate to do it but the only idea I can come up with is to power the motor and use a file to grind the shaft a little at a time untill I can get it on with some loctite.
I have tried a few improvised presses and I just can't get the leverage I need without murdering the motor.
Any ideas are appreciated.
I'll bet Spoo knows..lol

Thanks
shabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How are you guys installing lynx steel pinions?

Haha I just happened to see this post.
I haven't had that difficulty on mine. Is it definitely a 1.5mm bore and stock size 030 motor? If it is, I would try to heat the pinion up making sure you have something to hold it securely.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Haha I just happened to see this post.
I haven't had that difficulty on mine. Is it definitely a 1.5mm bore and stock size 030 motor? If it is, I would try to heat the pinion up making sure you have something to hold it securely.

Yep. Lynx LX1098A. A 1.5mm drill fits perfectly. Super hardened.
I tried a barrage motor and my cr-24 stock motor. Neither fit. Calipers say the shafts are about 151-152ish and are knurled. 2 thousands dont sound like a lot but there is no leverage.
I had a bind up on a run and the servo stuck at full lock and something let out a puff of smoke..for real...lol steerng still works but no motor action and havent tested it yet. Probably bent another axle. And no my wheel nuts weren't too tight.
I figure this is a good time to upgrade to my flysky reciever, quicrun 1625 and a metal gear servo as well as 9/64 gearing. And also move some stuff around and maybe try to axle mount the servo to get rid of all the bump steer.
I painted the body white and It looks good in that color.
By the way, I know everbody hates plastic pinions but I have a bag of em in
9t .3 modulus coming next month.
I'll let you know when they come in if you want some to test.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbs View Post
Yep. Lynx LX1098A. A 1.5mm drill fits perfectly. Super hardened.

I tried a barrage motor and my cr-24 stock motor. Neither fit. Calipers say the shafts are about 151-152ish and are knurled. 2 thousands dont sound like a lot but there is no leverage.

I had a bind up on a run and the servo stuck at full lock and something let out a puff of smoke..for real...lol steerng still works but no motor action and havent tested it yet. Probably bent another axle. And no my wheel nuts weren't too tight.

I figure this is a good time to upgrade to my flysky reciever, quicrun 1625 and a metal gear servo as well as 9/64 gearing. And also move some stuff around and maybe try to axle mount the servo to get rid of all the bump steer.

I painted the body white and It looks good in that color.

By the way, I know everbody hates plastic pinions but I have a bag of em in

9t .3 modulus coming next month.

I'll let you know when they come in if you want some to test.

Cheers
Wait you've bent 2 axle shafts? Are you driving off a cliff?

Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Wait you've bent 2 axle shafts? Are you driving off a cliff?

I hear ya man.
Took a couple of indoor falls onto tile.
Yes this is the second time I bent an axle.
But it only happens with my cr-24s. I run an scx-24 C10 (My favorite)
Scx24 Deadbolt, 2 cr-24s, a trail trekker, rocksta and a Devastator.
But the cr-24s are the only ones that have this problem. I don't mind. Its part of the hobby. I found an old set of Temper complete axles with steering and tranfer case in a box last night. Stole the 11t pinion but I'd love to use these on something. Gotta think about it.
I definately have a micro problem.
I almost bought a rgt v2 last night because I really like everythng they changed on it.
But these are scary times with this virus and I have to keep my wallet closed for a while.
I'll post some pics if I can ever get a clear one with my phone.

Take care everybody.

Be well.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That's surprising because I've already seen a few of the SCX with broken axles with normal driving two people were just tightening the wheel nuts.
I hear you on the micro problem, I know have a stupid number of micro crawlers and parts lol.

As far as the RGT V2 it has potential for custom builds, But I was pretty disappointed with the lack of gear reduction off the bat. having the motor forward is desired but they have it pushed so far forward it gets past the grill with most hard bodies ( in stock form) You would have to extend the links if your body would even allow that or just use a lexan body. Don't get me wrong the gearing is better than the Barrage, but it's no where near the CR-24 which has the most, or even the Mini Gelande V2 which is second.
I just don't understand how you go through All the effort of moving the transmission up front and having a transfer case, but you don't give it enough gear reduction.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Oops, doubled a picture and skipped another.
For the money the RGTV2 wasn't bad, But rather than get a second I would rather have a fourth CR24 or even a third CR-18

Old 03-30-2020, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Oops, doubled a picture and skipped another.
For the money the RGTV2 wasn't bad, But rather than get a second I would rather have a fourth CR24 or even a third CR-18

Thats exactly what I needed to know.
Thank You.
My rgt lust is gone.
I agree. Theres always room for 1 more hobby plus.
I was ready to pull the trigger on a cr-18 when they added a panhard bar but I had to have the scx24 C-10 when I saw It in green and chrome.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The RGT V2 isn't bad by any means, just not what I expected or what it could have been as far as gear reduction. Unfortunately the spur gear cover is part of the transmission case and mount so there's no room for a bigger spur gear.

I'd still take one over a Barrage or RGT V1 and if you're using a 1/20 medium or long wheelbase model body where the motor and servo fit in the engine bay you'll appreciate the small transfer case which means less, or not cutting of the floor. I have a plastic 1/18 that this would be perfect for. I should be able to mount up a high wind 130/180 motor to help it out.

As far as the CR-18 I really like it! On paper it doesn't seem like as good of a deal as the Panda Hobby, but I prefer it for the easily available compatible parts, more gear reduction, And the chassis. Shorten up the rear links and it's great for lots of 1/20 hard body builds.

Here are some pictures of the RGT V2 under a 1/18 plastic toy. The motor isn't installed, but would be right next to the servo, plenty of room under the seats for the transfer case. Electronics will go under the dash, body is nice and low on the chassis. I just need to extend the rear links, driveshaft, and chasis. All which are simple to do.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
The RGT V2 isn't bad by any means, just not what I expected or what it could have been as far as gear reduction. Unfortunately the spur gear cover is part of the transmission case and mount so there's no room for a bigger spur gear.

I'd still take one over a Barrage or RGT V1 and if you're using a 1/20 medium or long wheelbase model body where the motor and servo fit in the engine bay you'll appreciate the small transfer case which means less, or not cutting of the floor. I have a plastic 1/18 that this would be perfect for. I should be able to mount up a high wind 130/180 motor to help it out.

As far as the CR-18 I really like it! On paper it doesn't seem like as good of a deal as the Panda Hobby, but I prefer it for the easily available compatible parts, more gear reduction, And the chassis. Shorten up the rear links and it's great for lots of 1/20 hard body builds.

Here are some pictures of the RGT V2 under a 1/18 plastic toy. The motor isn't installed, but would be right next to the servo, plenty of room under the seats for the transfer case. Electronics will go under the dash, body is nice and low on the chassis. I just need to extend the rear links, driveshaft, and chasis. All which are simple to do.

Excellent pics and info as usual Spoo.

How are you guys installing lynx steel pinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp) Sloalty Redcat Crawlers 3 05-23-2016 08:48 PM
Pinions? Are steel quieter? o0wiz0o Axial SCX-10 2 04-25-2013 02:41 PM
Robinson's Steel Pinions too Short? neillarson Axial XR10 7 05-15-2011 05:55 PM