!FINISHED! X-Row Kuro King 1/24th D90 by TheBakedBeans

A Sneak Peek Video

FINAL BUILD VIDEO

PARTS LIST

Kuro King Kit
https://www.tiny4x4.com/kuroking/kur...kuro-king-124/

Kuro King LED Controller
https://www.tiny4x4.com/kuroking/ele...ed-controller/

Kuro King Low Voltage Servos (for the transmission and differential shifters)
https://www.tiny4x4.com/kuroking/ele...-micro-servos/

Kuro King Steering Servo
https://www.tiny4x4.com/autorc-geko2...l-micro-servo/

Kuro King N20 Motor
https://www.tiny4x4.com/kuroking/ele...ing-n20-motor/

Furitek Lizard Pro
https://www.furitekusa.com/products/...foc-technology

Orlandoo Hunter Sound Unit
https://nitrohobbies.com/olsc0002/
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBakedBeans; 02-20-2023 at 09:56 PM.
TheBakedBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2022, 12:09 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Builder's Notes: X-Row Kuro King 1/24th D90

Got the electronics worked out and took it for a test drive. The 2 speed transmission works great and actually has a neutral. Not really useful, but fun to sit and rev up the engine with the Orlandoo sound module.

The locking diffs are also pretty cool. If you want to use both options then you will need at least 5 channels. I’m using the Radiolink RC6GS v2. It’s my only 6 channel ” land” transmitter that I use for my 1/10 and 1/6 trucks. It’s HUGE compared to the Kuro King.

Now I just need to clean up the wires before I start working on the body. I’m going kind of slow, but this could easily be a one day build.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2022, 02:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Some more work on the wiring. Also found an interior that seems to fit after I cut away most of it. I have a dash and steering wheel to match but I probably can’t fit the back seats. I’ll just make some scale items to cover the receiver and fill in the cargo area. I might actually have a decent looking scale interior when I’m done. I wasn’t expecting to able to do that. Of course I always have to make it harder than it should be…
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2022, 03:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This driver might fit…
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2022, 10:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

To anyone still interested, I’ll be bringing this project back online soon. If you are wondering how it performs… think of a well tuned Mini-Z 4x4 that also has two speed transmission with locking differentials. It’s actually very fun to drive on my wooden crawlerpark.com obstacles. Trying the different gear/diff settings is cool.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2022, 07:31 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Actually a very cool little build! Looking forward to seeing it completed!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:04 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Any news about this? Tried to find driving videos on youtube, but couldn’t find any. Or I might suck at finding videos.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2471:24 View Post
Any news about this? Tried to find driving videos on youtube, but couldn’t find any. Or I might suck at finding videos.
It's still on the bench and I haven't had a chance to do any drive videos yet, but I finally got it painted. I really like how it handles... I liked it so much, I already bought another one. It fits 1/24 scale model bodies perfectly! So many possibilities with this size of RC. The two speed is great and the diff lock works flawlessly. I'm very happy so far.

There is a guy on Instagram that has it driving on the Kyosho "rubber rock" course. He put a MiniZ Jimny body on it. Just go to Instagram and search for #KuroKing

I'll use the D90 bodies I have on the first build. But the other one I'm going to probably get the Baja Bronco or look for something that hasn't been used yet. Like I said, this will fit ANY 1/24th body because it has the sliding chassis.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Found a better green that is closer to the pastel green seen on the 1:1.

Now that I have a better color, maybe I can get this wrapped up. I just need to clean up the wiring and build a “cover” for the electrics in the back. I’ll just use some styrene and 3D printed scale cases.

I know many people are more interested in the performance but I care about the details. As mentioned earlier, it drives like a MiniZ but with 2 speed tranny and diff lock. Both of those options are working great with no issues like some of my 1/10 kits.

I originally had Pistachio, but it was too light. Now I have Moss Green from Rustoleum.

BUT GOOD NEWS! I finally found a great paint supplier! This is important to me because I ruined the first D90 body when I mixed two paints together that didn’t work. I was able to get most of the paint off and turn it a different color, but it lost all the details in the panel lines.

I mixed two different paints because I could never find the colors I wanted by the same paint manufacturer. Shopping on store shelves locally sucks and a lot of times Tamiya paint is hard to get in certain colors.

BombingScience.com has Tamiya grade paint in hundreds of colors for a lower cost. This is now my GO TO paint vendor. US based and shipped fast.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBakedBeans; 11-04-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

No major updates, but a few glamour shots with the darker green
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2022, 05:37 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Did a ton of body work last week. Need to finish the light kit and make a cover for the electronics.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Looking really good!
Old 12-30-2022, 08:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'm sooooo close. I think I'll finish tonight. I just have to finalize the lights and paint the driver. Here is a few more quick photos. As usual, I'll post all the photos and a link to the full build video when I'm finished.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2022, 11:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Talking Re: Builder's Notes: X-Row Kuro King 1/24th D90

Yes! Hope you got it finished! Waiting for the driving videos. Hope you post them on youtube. I’m kind of an old school guy, I don’t have an instagram account, the same goes for facebook. Looking really good, really like the build quality. That thing is soooo tiny. That’s why I like this small scale stuff so much. Sounds weird, I know.

(The biggest rig I’m thinking of getting in the future is an axial capra 1/18. Next up for me is a furitek cayman).
Old 01-02-2023, 12:21 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes! Hope you got it finished! Waiting for the driving videos. Hope you post them on youtube. I’m kind of an old school guy, I don’t have an instagram account, the same goes for facebook. Looking really good, really like the build quality. That thing is soooo tiny. That’s why I like this small scale stuff so much. Sounds weird, I know.

(The biggest rig I’m thinking of getting in the future is an axial capra 1/18. Next up for me is a furitek cayman).
It's finally finished! I'm gathering my photos and video clips and getting the build video ready. I'm hoping to take it out to the Batavia Dam Tuesday afternoon as it will be almost 60 degrees in Chicago! In January!

I'm pretty old school too but I just joined Instagram (wow, that thing will suck you in, soooo many cool builds) and I started Reddit about a year ago. Don't waste your time with Reddit... not much going on there. But if you want to see some amazing RCs, you should really check out Instagram.

I've been chatting with Alpine_RC over in France. He focuses mostly on Orlandoo size trucks. He just built his Kuro King and his most recent Youtube video shows plenty of Kuro King driving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhjMs1YA1U8 He has a really nice build, but I can't stand seeing all the wires through the windows. Making the interior to hide all the electronics is what took me so long, but I'm super happy with it and glad I took the time.

He is a pretty cool guy. I'm going to cut some decals for him on my Cricut, but it looks like the shipping might be $70... so maybe not

For the last 4 or 5 builds I've also been focusing on the small models. Although it sometimes tests my sanity. I'm going to do my Hardbody Crawler Co FJ, rebuild mine and my Dad's LC80, then I'm moving on to some 1/6th scale trucks. I need to take a break and work on some bigger trucks. It will be hilarious how easy they will be to work on after some of these smaller trucks. But I do still have a few Orlandoo kits calling my name.

Last edited by TheBakedBeans; 01-02-2023 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:16 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the link. I agree, the body is looking so good, and all the wires in the windows don’t fit the theme. And I totally understand you with those bigger trucks. Congratulations as you got it finished!
Old 01-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Awesome build! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Ynad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I agree, the body is looking so good, and all the wires in the windows don’t fit the theme. And I totally understand you with those bigger trucks. Congratulations as you got it finished!
Thank you! Although... they never seem to be finished. I got the new roof rack, bumper, snorkel, and step rails in the mail. Not sure if I will put them on this body. I have a fresh new white body that I'll try airbrushing. Maybe I'll save them for that.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:57 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynad View Post
Awesome build! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Thanks Ynad!

Here is a final photo dump... I'll add the link to the build video when it's done uploading
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBakedBeans; 02-20-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

FINAL BUILD VIDEO

Ok, so I'm going to call this one done. As I mention in the final build video, I have another fresh white body that I'm going to really concentrate on my modeling skills. I'm NOT going to fog the windows I'm NOT going to get my fingerprints on the paint job I'm NOT going to.... yeah right!

But I do have a new roof rack, roll cage, side rails, bumper, snorkel and some other goodies that I'll put on the the new body. I also have a second Kuro King kit. I'll probably get a cool 1/24 scale model body for it... who knows.

For now, I'm moving on to other projects. I'm happy to close the chapter on this one and come back for a refresh later.

Builder's Notes: X-Row Kuro King 1/24th D90 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Builder's Notes: 1/18th Mercedes Benz G500 TheBakedBeans Micro Scale Rigs 20 10-17-2022 02:36 PM
Builder's Notes: SCX24 Micro Shark Conversion Kit TheBakedBeans Micro Scale Rigs 27 10-02-2022 08:30 AM
Coming KURO KING Teng Micro Scale Rigs 31 03-05-2022 03:20 PM
rgt 1/24th defender-D90 ed1 Micro Scale Rigs 4 07-20-2018 08:29 AM