Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Custom Warthog Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Default Custom Warthog Build

Just finished my customized Warthog build. I changed the sides by putting a screen in the windows to hide and contain the wires, customized the roof and rear cover, eliminated the front cover, and bobbed the rails. I moved the battery to the front and electronics to the rear. I made custom bent upper rear links to help clear the TorqueBeast motor at full compression. I'm using the printed high clearance lower links that are made by the chassis designer. I made a custom servo mount for the MOFO servo and four linked the front. I also made a custom rear link riser. I used one of the German micro ESC's, a mini BEC, and a Sanwa compatible nano size receiver. In the works is perhaps a first, a flat skid for the SCX24. I have a printed prototype and am working out the trans mounting. I'll incorporate the new skid into my next build using the HR LCG chassis.
Attached Images

JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #2

Default Re: Custom Warthog Build

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Beans! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That is awesome man!!!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Decided to black out the battery too.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #5

That thing looks mean!

How do you like that torque beast motor? I just installed one in my jeep Cherokee today. I went with the factory 11 tooth and really like it. Very smooth and grunts along nicely at slow crawling speeds.

Have you used the Emax servo? How would you compare it to that mofo servo?

Nice build man!
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:41 PM   #6
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
That thing looks mean!

How do you like that torque beast motor? I just installed one in my jeep Cherokee today. I went with the factory 11 tooth and really like it. Very smooth and grunts along nicely at slow crawling speeds.

Have you used the Emax servo? How would you compare it to that mofo servo?

Nice build man!

I just finished it this week. So far just driving around the house over obstacles and on 60+ degree climbs, I like the motor and how strong it is. To be honest though, I don't think I've truly given it a good hard test. Once indoor racing season is over in March I'll have the truck out on the rocks for some real testing and comps.

I stuck with the 11T pinion too and I agree with you, I think it's just right. The one thing that I was kind of surprised by was how the long can on the Torque Beast interfered with the rear upper links. Short of making your own to get around that there isn't much you can do. So, I'm surprised that more people aren't bothered by that and that it's not mentioned on the MOFO site as a heads up.

I've never used an Emax servo, I went straight from stock to the MOFO and so far I have no complaints. But again, I need more time to truly test it. I like the way that the MOFO servo looks like any other 1/10th servo plus it can be run at 6v. For my next build I'll be getting the newest MOFO servo that can run at 7.4v. I'll be running the biggest tires I can find so the extra torque will be helpful.

Thanks! I really like the Warthog chassis. It was an interesting build and lot's of people that I've shown it to think it's pretty wild.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #7

Nice!
Old 03-04-2022, 11:44 PM   #8

Lightbulb Re: Custom Warthog Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I just finished it this week. So far just driving around the house over obstacles and on 60+ degree climbs, I like the motor and how strong it is. To be honest though, I don't think I've truly given it a good hard test. Once indoor racing season is over in March I'll have the truck out on the rocks for some real testing and comps.

I stuck with the 11T pinion too and I agree with you, I think it's just right. The one thing that I was kind of surprised by was how the long can on the Torque Beast interfered with the rear upper links. Short of making your own to get around that there isn't much you can do. So, I'm surprised that more people aren't bothered by that and that it's not mentioned on the MOFO site as a heads up.

I've never used an Emax servo, I went straight from stock to the MOFO and so far I have no complaints. But again, I need more time to truly test it. I like the way that the MOFO servo looks like any other 1/10th servo plus it can be run at 6v. For my next build I'll be getting the newest MOFO servo that can run at 7.4v. I'll be running the biggest tires I can find so the extra torque will be helpful.

Thanks! I really like the Warthog chassis. It was an interesting build and lot's of people that I've shown it to think it's pretty wild.
I’m wondering if the torque beast interference is only on the warthog chassis? I haven’t had issues with the motor on my stock setup or this hard park goblin chassis I have it in now other than having to trim the stock battery tray some. It’s not a problem though if you mount your battery up front.

I’m interested in trying a warthog. I also like the origin RC chassis which sort of reminds me of the warthog but the origin chassis I’ve seen on YouTube look like the battery is mounted in the back.
https://originrc.com/

In my testing a forward mounted battery out performs a rear mounted battery for what I do. I like how you have your warthog battery mounted up front.

Last edited by Alaskan; 03-04-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I’m wondering if the torque beast interference is only on the warthog chassis? I haven’t had issues with the motor on my stock setup or this hard park goblin chassis I have it in now other than having to trim the stock battery tray some. It’s not a problem though if you mount your battery up front.

I’m interested in trying a warthog. I also like the origin RC chassis which sort of reminds me of the warthog but the origin chassis I’ve seen on YouTube look like the battery is mounted in the back.
https://originrc.com/

In my testing a forward mounted battery out performs a rear mounted battery for what I do. I like how you have your warthog battery mounted up front.
Regarding the Torque Beast, I hadn't really thought about till you mentioned it, but you're probably right about it being a Warthog problem. Most likely because it sits so crazy low. Makes sense. Funny thing is that I mentioned it to MOFO and he acknowledged it, but then he has built some crazy low belly draggers like the Warthog.

Yes, battery up front to help get that somewhat ideal 60/40 bias.

I've seen many of the Origin builds and it's cool. Personally I like the low slung look of the Warthog a bit better. Before I had even purchased the files to print the Warthog, I knew that I was going to put the battery up front.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Short video on my ideas behind the build.

https://youtu.be/XH6ZLzwsvI8
Old 03-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #11

Man I just watched your video. Then I ordered a chassis off Etsy in orange!

Awesome build! I like everything about your setup but I’d like to try it with bigger tires maybe RC4wd scramblers or mud slingers.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #12
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Man I just watched your video. Then I ordered a chassis off Etsy in orange!

Awesome build! I like everything about your setup but I’d like to try it with bigger tires maybe RC4wd scramblers or mud slingers.
Congrats! If you go big tire you'll have to widen the track for the Warthog since its lay down shocks severely limit turning radius lock to lock. You could flip the wheels like the designer did or add wideners (axle or hubs.)

I got around widening (so far lol) by changing the shock location on the chassis. I now have full lock turning radius which is important to me. This may not be the ideal shock location so I'm experimenting with it in other locations as well.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #13

Thanks for the info. I have some of the mofo beadlock wheels with the +6 hub I plan to throw the mud slingers on and start with that. Here is a picture I stole from a reviewer on his Etsy page. I’m going for this.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:50 PM   #14
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Oh hell yeah, that'll work! That looks awesome.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #15

JC3 you were right about the upper links hitting the torque beast. My power wagon slightly contacts the torque beast can when everything in fully compressed. I sent you a PM!
Old 03-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #16
JC3
Quarry Creeper

When I made my 63 degree climb video I completely forgot to experiment with my link riser settings! I have one more hole to go up. Probably won't make a difference but we'll give it a try and see. Photo at 63 degrees.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #17

That’s impressive!
Old 03-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #18
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That’s impressive!
Thank you. I had to move the front shock position to get 63. Otherwise, it hardly climbs. Here's a link to the shitty video where you can see it slipping and clawing its way up. https://youtu.be/HTx6cB0j1FI
Old 03-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #19
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Made a video on how to reposition the front shocks to get all of the steering back on the Warthog. This negates the need to widen the front of the truck. My last attempt was a fail since I lost travel and articulation plus the front end sat way too low. In the new position things seem just right and you have full steering lock to lock with both small and large tires.

https://youtu.be/Kt83ySzYIAw
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #20

Nice!

My chassis says out for delivery so I hope to get it this eve when I get home. Looking forward to tinkering with everything like you’ve been to maximize ability. Thanks for the videos.

Custom Warthog Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DTX HALO WartHog Build skyhummer22 Duratrax Cliff Climber 16 10-27-2011 12:13 PM
New warthog build jordi555 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-27-2011 09:01 PM
My Warthog build thread ElkySS Axial AX-10 Scorpion 26 12-28-2008 01:32 AM