Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #1

Default SCX24 Upgrades

Currently running the stock radio, motor and ESC on my SCX24 JLU. Am upgrading the radio to a Flysky GT5. I am not sure on the motor and ESC upgrade. I have been looking at the PN-90 motor, mount, spur gear and the Furitek Lizard Pro Combo as a choice. Also have been looking at the Furitek Stinger with the smaller Komodo motor. Since I am upgrading the radio I can go brushless. The price is only about $10 difference. New to micro's so just looking for some info.
72blazerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2022, 02:09 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX24 Upgrades

I haven’t owned any of the motors you listed and I bet they are nice. I currently run the mofo torque beast with v2 factory ecu and it crawls very nicely. I’m running a stock 11 tooth and I wish I went with a smaller pinion for even more slow speed control. It was $26 so it’s a cheaper option.
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
I haven’t owned any of the motors you listed and I bet they are nice. I currently run the mofo torque beast with v2 factory ecu and it crawls very nicely. I’m running a stock 11 tooth and I wish I went with a smaller pinion for even more slow speed control. It was $26 so it’s a cheaper option.
Running the same MOFO motor with a different ESC. I'm happy with the 11t pinion so far but otherwise, I 100% agree with Alaskan! Brushed is the way to go for both price and keeping the cg low.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:27 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

GT5? Consider using the micro receiver. In these tiny builds it is a big advantage over other bigger receivers.
If your goal is crawling, then you should consider the Furitek crawling ESCs (Lizard, Lizard Pro or Tegu) and an appropriate brushless motor. The control they give in incredible for technical crawling tasks.
https://i.ibb.co/ryGsPfy/Receivers.png
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceherman View Post
GT5? Consider using the micro receiver. In these tiny builds it is a big advantage over other bigger receivers.
If your goal is crawling, then you should consider the Furitek crawling ESCs (Lizard, Lizard Pro or Tegu) and an appropriate brushless motor. The control they give in incredible for technical crawling tasks.
https://i.ibb.co/ryGsPfy/Receivers.png
Are you saying I should get a different receiver than the one that comes with the Flysky FS-GT5. Is that not a good receiver ?
72blazerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazerdude View Post
Are you saying I should get a different receiver than the one that comes with the Flysky FS-GT5. Is that not a good receiver?
I believe what he’s saying is that if space is an issue for you, to try out one of the micro rx’s he linked, since they’re considerably smaller.

If you’re not worried about space, the rx it came with is more than fine. I believe they perform close enough to the same it won’t matter on these.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:47 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Zenith is spot on. Size is the issue. In many builds, space is very limited.
Also, the receiver typically sits fairly high in the chassis. Reducing the weight up high lowest the center of gravity (CG) and most builders go a LONG way to reduce the CG.

What is your intended use of this model?
Some people want to build a scale model that looks as realistic as possible. There is some amazing craftsmanship in a lot of scale builds.
Some people want to make a racer and speed is their concern. I have to admit that this model lends itself fairly poorly to the speed push. Worm gear diff.
Some people want to make a performance crawler. The emphasis is to improve the ability to complete difficult crawler tasks.
My work has been on the crawler aspect. For that, the Furitek ESC (Lizard, Lizard Pro or Tegu) paired with an appropriate brushless motor give you better control and throttle modulation that any other solution.
I have put a *lot* of these into builds.
My favorite motor is the MoFoRC Nano Beast because it has a lower CG than other solutions.
Furitek is coming out with a Micro Komodo that should also be great.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #8

Personally, I'd go with a better radio. I purchased a Sanwa MT-S for about a hundred and a quarter new and couldn't be happier.

I'm using this receiver, https://www.dasmikro.com/product/ant...face-receiver/. It's perfect for minis and micros.

As of now, I will be using the Nano Beast for my next build.

Last edited by _e_w_; 03-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.
_e_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX24 Upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx24 motor upgrades? Jppr26 Micro Scale Rigs 15 11-30-2020 06:20 PM
What are the must have upgrades for SCX24? USP45 Micro Scale Rigs 2 02-05-2020 03:41 AM
Upgrades to SCX24 waqr Micro Scale Rigs 3 01-16-2020 07:09 PM
SCX24 steering upgrades? RABIDFOX Micro Scale Rigs 6 12-07-2019 06:19 PM
SCX24 ESC & receiver upgrades? BashNSlash Micro Scale Rigs 44 06-10-2019 12:21 PM