Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Getting out of hand? What the average on upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #1

Default Getting out of hand? What the average on upgrades?

Well this is my running list on my first SCX24 JLU Jeep. I was really not surprised when I did the total, but man these little guys seem to add up quick

BRAND ITEM DESCRIPTION COST
MOFORC ALUM FOUR LINK FRONT 16.98
MOFORC SERVO MOUNT BRASS 28.98
MOFORC TORQUE2.0 MOTOR 28.98
EBAY MANTIS HI LINKS (3D PRINTED) 22.05 BROKE
MOFORC OIL FILLED SHOCK (STICKY) 34.98
MOFORC ALUM SHOCK PLATES 29.98
AXIAL JLU SCX24 JEEP 166.47
INJORA SERVO HORNS ALUM 11
INJORA ALUM SKID PLATE 15.41
INJORA ALUM HI LINK SET 23.13
HOBBYPARK WHEEL NUTS (100) 10.99
RC4WD (4)STEEL WHEELS/PATAGONIA TIRES 44.97
HOBBYPARK BRASS KNUCKLES/WHEEL WEIGHTS 29.74
HR F.13G BRASS DIFF COVER 26.88
HR R.90G BRASS DIFF COVER 16.88
BWH 350MAH BATTERY 20
CROSS SHOCKS (STILL RUNNING) 18.99
CROSS ALUM STEERING LINK KIT 6.99
TOTAL AS OF 08/04/2022 553.4

APPROX CAR WEIGHT 347G/.756#
70 % WEIGHT FRONT - 30% REAR

$ 554.00 total. I may have less into my 1/10 scale Traxxas LCG 4X4

Keep up the good work and Hobby on!

Last edited by Krez; 08-04-2022 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
Krez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Getting out of hand? What the average on upgrades?

You broke down all the parts costs?? I don't even think you're allowed to do that. You're a brave man... or you're just a sucker for punishment.

Yep.. I only did a few mods after getting my scx24... wheels and tires, diff covers, and a couple better lipos. But most everything else I did was aesthetic to kind of personalize without spending too much money.

That was a couple years ago, then this year I decided to do a little more... servo, links, front drive-shafts, c-hubs, another set of tires, motor, shocks, and a hardware upgrade. And I don't think I'm quite done yet.

I really dig these little rigs though and as always... modding is half the fun. Impressive list btw... lotta weight in that little thing. Cool to see a breakdown even though I had to give you grief about it lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Getting out of hand? What the average on upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
You broke down all the parts costs?? I don't even think you're allowed to do that. You're a brave man... or you're just a sucker for punishment.

I tried going through my Amain account purchases but half way through I stopped because I realized it was already more than I thought and made me feel like I wasted my money.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I tried going through my Amain account purchases but half way through I stopped because I realized it was already more than I thought and made me feel like I wasted my money.
lmao yeah... And if you're like me, there's also some parts that never even make their way onto the rig. The only thing more sobering than making a list of all the installed upgrades, is that list PLUS all the parts that wound up in the parts bins lol... ugh.

But I dunno.. hobbies cost money and the world of RC is a pretty fun one to get lost in at times.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, +tegu 65, +tax 24%, shipping 25, micro komodo 35? (can’t remember exactly) tax 24%, motor plate 30, tax 24%, shipping 30. Yeah, and stuff on the shelf, 2 extra bodies 55, 2x barrage 16, extra parts from hobby shop 25, 3 batteries 20, etc, etc

I’ve probably spent 600€. I tell myself that parts cost much less at this small scale

I’m not gonna do the math exactly, because now I know the costs approximately, but I don’t wanna know exactly. Still money well spent. Some of my friends spend all their money on beer, they may have fun, but they also get headaches…

I’ve had so much fun modifying and driving my scx24! I’ve probably spent more time modifying and trying different setups than driving. This seems to be the case also with my old project cars and motocross bike.

Last edited by 2471:24; 08-04-2022 at 10:31 PM.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:31 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2471:24 View Post
Yeah, +tegu 65, +tax 24%, shipping 25, micro komodo 35? (can’t remember exactly) tax 24%, motor plate 30, tax 24%, shipping 30. Yeah, and stuff on the shelf, 2 extra bodies 55, 2x barrage 16, extra parts from hobby shop 25, 3 batteries 20, etc, etc

I’ve probably spent 600€. I tell myself that parts cost much less at this small scale

I’m not gonna do the math exactly, because now I know the costs approximately, but I don’t wanna know exactly. Still money well spent. Some of my friends spend all their money on beer, they may have fun, but they also get headaches…

I’ve had so much fun modifying and driving my scx24! I’ve probably spent more time modifying and trying different setups than driving. This seems to be the case also with my old project cars and motocross bike.
Same here lol. I have an idea but I really don't want to start going through invoices. I was organizing some old file folders a while back and I stumbled upon just about every invoice from back in my nitro days. I had no reason to add them all up so I didn't but man there were a ton of em.

And I agree...As someone who gave up alcohol many years ago, I'm glad to at least have something to show for the money I spend on RC stuff rather than beer/ liquor.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #7

Oh yeah and I forgot my EMAXX servo, but that was only $8.99 USD. hAPPY HOBBYING ALL
Old 08-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krez View Post
Oh yeah and I forgot my EMAXX servo, but that was only $8.99 USD. hAPPY HOBBYING ALL
You know, it's funny... It seems like what often happens in my house, is that I'll tell my wife "Hey I need this part.. and it's only like $10". Then a few days later she'll be going through our expenses and I'll hear her say something like "Hmmm... Looks like that part that you needed was actually $40". And then I'll typically come back with "Oh yeah... About that... I forgot that there were actually two other things that I needed too". And then I'll sometimes throw in something like "And those other parts were on sale" or "Well, I was going to wait on those other parts but I wanted to save on the shipping cost". Gotta say at this point though, that I'm afraid she's on to me and that my "Look how thrifty and responsible I am" disguise has been completely blown.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #9

Yeah if they only knew the total costs. We would be eating Top Ramen for a month
Old 08-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
You know, it's funny... It seems like what often happens in my house, is that I'll tell my wife "Hey I need this part.. and it's only like $10". Then a few days later she'll be going through our expenses and I'll hear her say something like "Hmmm... Looks like that part that you needed was actually $40". And then I'll typically come back with "Oh yeah... About that... I forgot that there were actually two other things that I needed too". And then I'll sometimes throw in something like "And those other parts were on sale" or "Well, I was going to wait on those other parts but I wanted to save on the shipping cost". Gotta say at this point though, that I'm afraid she's on to me and that my "Look how thrifty and responsible I am" disguise has been completely blown.
My wife gave up lol. But I work overtime and everything else to make up for my spending habits. And anytime she says she wants anything whether she's willing to spend it or not she gets it cause if she doesn't buy it I go get.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krez View Post
Yeah if they only knew the total costs. We would be eating Top Ramen for a month
I'm afraid so. I used to feel like surely she's keeping track in the back of her mind. but now I feel like she's actually conditioned herself to just block it all out lol. I know when it comes to her hair-care stuff and makeup and that stuff that I sure as hell block it out. Some of that crap is really expensive... to me anyway. Should've seen the look on her face one time when I told her that we could save money on her mascara if she was willing to give used motor oil a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
My wife gave up lol. But I work overtime and everything else to make up for my spending habits. And anytime she says she wants anything whether she's willing to spend it or not she gets it cause if she doesn't buy it I go get.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
lol. Good on you. I'm the same way. My wife is very low-maintenance so when she even hints at wanting something, I make sure that she gets it. She works hard and doesn't ask for much. Nothing I wouldn't do to provide her with anything she wants or needs. I always encourage her to spend on herself.

Plus, it paves the way for the next tool or toy that I know I'll need before too long lol.

Getting out of hand? What the average on upgrades? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
right hand turn,left hand front wheel sawhead Axial SCX-10 5 01-12-2014 09:35 AM
Average upgrades? gtxr Axial XR10 13 04-18-2012 10:10 PM
not your average 1.9s kaneohecrawler Tires and Wheels 61 09-18-2011 07:39 PM
NOT YOUR AVERAGE 1.9s tAkE 2 kaneohecrawler Tires and Wheels 6 07-20-2011 10:10 AM
Are u shi!!#%& me paypal? Get ur hand hand outta my cookie jar!!! KNIFE Chit Chat 96 06-05-2010 06:42 PM