Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Micro radio transmitter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2023, 06:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Micro radio transmitter?

I recently got back into micro crawlers. I have a crawler I made may a year ago which is still great, and I converted an SCX24 jeep using a 3d printed chassis for my son. It kinda blows that the radios are just as big if not bigger than the cars.

I was wondering if there are any smaller radio transmitters that would be more 'pocket sized'?

If not, you recommend a cheap (but good) controller I could break down and maybe make a 3d print for a more compact radio unit?
agent00111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2023, 08:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Micro radio transmitter?

Turbo Racing P32 is a new favorite of mine. Small, compact, take apart, epa, d/r, 4ch.

I smashed my finger at PLBTF this last year and it saved me from having a harder time driving single handedly.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoroian View Post
Turbo Racing P32 is a new favorite of mine. Small, compact, take apart, epa, d/r, 4ch.

I smashed my finger at PLBTF this last year and it saved me from having a harder time driving single handedly.
Thats perfect for a micro! Im sick of holding my GT5 for a micro. lol.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

That is an interesting radio for micros or anything that you need a portable TX. Wonder how it would work with 4 wheel steering. I see mention of a knob for channel 3 but didn't see it in any of the pictures.

I have a couple of the Turbo Racing TX that came with the Turbo 76 RC's it has knobs and buttons where the screen is on the P32. Seems the rx are pretty reasonable too.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Love it! I wish I had that controller when my kids where smaller! I’ll have to get the receiver and reduce that for my micro crawler, but I like the design of it.

Regarding 4WS, I’ll have to check my notes on how I set mine up but it only uses one channel (either no rear steer, or rear steer is opposite direction of front).
agent00111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have a p31 as well. I actually saw it in another thread, can’t remember right now but it was dealing with backpacks/travel. I had a few WPL projects that I was looking for and it fit the price range and how small it is. When I bought it at first I didn’t even look up the others, little did I know that for a few bucks more I could have had the p32 with epa’s. I’ll try and take a picture of the differences in sizes. It is pretty small and light weight too. All day trailing you would forget you have it. It does not have a lanyard attachment but a quick zip tie would work, it does not stand up in the field so you have to lay it down (which felt odd). As far as the other channels I know they are available but didn’t play with it after I set my model, D/R, and epa’s on one of them. The other controller is in the box with the another project.

In a side note I can’t speak to durability but just like many others things will break. I have had no problems with mine and the miles it has come through.

Last edited by hnoroian; 01-18-2023 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Last edited by hnoroian; 01-18-2023 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:17 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent00111 View Post
Love it! I wish I had that controller when my kids where smaller! I’ll have to get the receiver and reduce that for my micro crawler, but I like the design of it.

Regarding 4WS, I’ll have to check my notes on how I set mine up but it only uses one channel (either no rear steer, or rear steer is opposite direction of front).
It has that feature built into it? Or did you have to add a servo Y wire with a reverser?
Old 02-16-2023, 08:49 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Wanted to update this. I purchased the Turbo Racing P32 4 channel with LED screen and I thought it SUCKED. The main issue I had was the throttle. The throttle is hyper sensitive and just feels like a max throttle or nothing kind of thing. My GT5 feels SO much smoother. I installed this on a max smasher with godzilla motor and it was just horrible in the throttle department. I tried messing with my lizard pro ESC, throttle curves. Resetting the transmitter. Nothing helped smooth out it's ALL OR nothing throttle. I dont think Ive had a transmitter this hyper in my life. Returned it and went right back to my trusty GT5.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 02-16-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Wanted to update this. I purchased the Turbo Racing P32 4 channel with LED screen and I thought it SUCKED. The main issue I had was the throttle. The throttle is hyper sensitive and just feels like a max throttle or nothing kind of thing. My GT5 feels SO much smoother. I installed this on a max smasher with godzilla motor and it was just horrible in the throttle department. I tried messing with my lizard pro ESC, throttle curves. Resetting the transmitter. Nothing helped smooth out it's ALL OR nothing throttle. I dont think Ive had a transmitter this hyper in my life. Returned it and went right back to my trusty GT5.
I like the WPL RES V3. I have it in every truck 1/18 and smaller. It’s a bare bones transmitter but it does have 4 channels, winch controller, plus a light kit, plus an aux on off switch and sound unit. I like this more for the receiver than the transmitter. But I have no problem with the throttle. Many people don’t like the size of the receiver, but remember all those features are packed in!
TheBakedBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:31 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Wanted to update this. I purchased the Turbo Racing P32 4 channel with LED screen and I thought it SUCKED. .
That is 4sure nothing you want to hear if you bought the new Vanquish RTR
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
That is 4sure nothing you want to hear if you bought the new Vanquish RTR
That was my thought exactly.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience BIGWORM, it does have a short throw but is proportional. Each radio spring rate is different, even slightly different from same model to model. Throttle control is important, the gt5 is a different radio altogether. It didn’t take me very long to adjust to it.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:38 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That was my thought exactly.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience BIGWORM, it does have a short throw but is proportional. Each radio spring rate is different, even slightly different from same model to model. Throttle control is important, the gt5 is a different radio altogether. It didn’t take me very long to adjust to it.
Thanks. I tried my best to tune it out. But it was a no go for me. I like everything else about it. LOVED the size. But its throttle control is horrible. All or nothing. I've never had an rtr with cheap electronics be this bad. Im half tempted to order another one to make sure mine wasn't defective. It had everything else I wanted.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakedBeans View Post
I like the WPL RES V3. I have it in every truck 1/18 and smaller. It’s a bare bones transmitter but it does have 4 channels, winch controller, plus a light kit, plus an aux on off switch and sound unit. I like this more for the receiver than the transmitter. But I have no problem with the throttle. Many people don’t like the size of the receiver, but remember all those features are packed in!
I remember when they came out with the V2, and peaked my interest. I just couldn’t find it cheap enough at the time or the lead time was too long. Maybe when I get another wpl or mn they might be on V4.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:33 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I think the TH P52 is the better option.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
I think the TH P52 is the better option.
OH! Im going to try that one! Thanks man!
Old 02-27-2023, 09:18 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up a furitek avatar and so far I'm really happy with it.. went with that AND their stinger brushless setup on my converted SCX.
VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Micro radio transmitter? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clone Transmitter/Radio Rob L Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 04-07-2016 09:59 PM
Waterproofing a transmitter/ radio scoutdawg Electronics 6 05-12-2014 10:51 AM
Micro Transmitter?? agent00111 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 19 05-31-2012 07:44 PM
Transmitter radio road3ges Electronics 0 06-22-2008 04:28 AM