Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Die cast bodies and SCX24 - let us share what works and what doesn't

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 04:16 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Die cast bodies and SCX24 - let us share what works and what doesn't

Hey guys, I recently found some old New Ray 1/24 toys that have pretty cool bodies.
Now that SCX24 has really good oil dampers and so many other options you can actually run a diecast body and not have it look like a wobbly mess.

In light of this, I was hoping to stea... borrow other people's experiments and lessons learned when trying to fit other diecast bodies.

For this New Ray Toyota body, the wheelbase is 125 ish, can run stock wheelbase jeep links or combine jeep rear with deadbolt front to more closely match (just from my measurements, haven't had the energy to actually do this yet.)
I also filed the rear wheel arch slightly to take away what was a pretty pointy.. well, point.

New Ray "Johnny Greaves" 1/24
WB: 125
Weight: 215g
Mods to fit: rear wheel arch is a bit pointy, round it off with a file.

Tested at my local spot - incline was a big issue, front to rear weight balance needs addressing but I have the body on my first rig with an OG Komodo and nil brass.
Would I recommend - well, if you are happy to add about 200g of brass down low I think you can get to a decent place. Sidehill was great because of the small tyres/+4 axles and flipped stamped steels.
I will change it over to the intended chassis with the much heavier cast axles and proceed to waste more money on it, fun times.

So the premise is - share a pic, note the wheelbase, weight and any modifications you thought were required.

Last edited by Chicken Man; 02-04-2023 at 11:26 PM.
Chicken Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Die cast bodies and SCX24 - let us share what works and what doesn't

Looks good. Nice concept. I personally don't mind the weight on my rigs, got hard bodies. 200g sounds like a bit much. But how does it perform? If it wasn't for the long axles would it be tipping over alot?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Ynad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 01:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Die cast bodies and SCX24 - let us share what works and what doesn't

looking forward to what folks are doing. A crawler with a metal body sounds cool.
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

This morning, I saw this in the dirt at an apartment complex I'm working on... Might need to stretch the wheelbase a bit, but it's close. The kid probably won't miss it...
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice score, DRED! And like my Dad always said after he'd run over my Hot Wheels and Matchboxes in the driveway with his truck, "If you care about your toys, you'll pick em up after you're done playing". So much smashed die-cast lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Great looking Tonka! Lucky kid, I bet someone’s grandpa handed it down. I have some of my dads that still are waiting for the time to be restored.

Any more pics?

Last edited by hnoroian; 02-07-2023 at 10:40 PM.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:24 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynad View Post
Looks good. Nice concept. I personally don't mind the weight on my rigs, got hard bodies. 200g sounds like a bit much. But how does it perform? If it wasn't for the long axles would it be tipping over alot?

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
When I ran it last weekend the sidehill was fine, good even. But the body sat too far back for climbing, not that it was bad, just in no way compared to a normal scx24 rig that can exceed 60 degrees straight up.

I am waiting on a few spare parts to get it where I want it in terms of 60/40 weight distribution front to rear, and I have a few sets of wheels/tyres to trial. My goal is to build something that has the same ratios as a 1-1 in terms of wheels to chassis to body, still researching what that means... lol.

It's all about ratios.
Chicken Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Die cast bodies and SCX24 - let us share what works and what doesn't - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/18 scale die cast? fl0w3n General Scale Talk 1 12-14-2012 12:18 AM
1/18 Die cast body? BigChevyTruckin Micro Scale Rigs 2 09-01-2011 12:24 PM
Die Cast Bodies hard_rock Micro Scale Rigs 9 07-08-2010 08:43 PM
Die Cast Body? hard_rock Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 05-27-2010 07:26 PM