Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: MNRCRC 2014 Scaler Event #2 - Byron, MN 2 day event! - 6/28/14-6/29/14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MNRCRC 2014 Scaler Event #2 - Byron, MN 2 day event! - 6/28/14-6/29/14

Here it is, our first 2 day scaler event!

This is a Rain or shine event

This is an event held on private property so if you plan on coming you will need to PM me for directions and location as the land owner doesn't want the location posted on the open 'net. The location is a few miles south of Byron, MN.
Be sure to check back often to see the changes and revisions.

This will included G6, U4, Top Truck Challenge, and possibly a comp course!

This will be a 2 day event with primitive camping, meaning no water or electrical, but probably a port-a-potty. Camping will be allowed Friday night and Saturday night. Plenty of room for campers and even motorhomes. Also this location is close enough to Rochester and Kasson, MN so a motel/hotel room would also be an option for those that don't want to rough it.

We are still in process of course layout and building, so the exact order of running is not set in stone yet, but here is a tentative rundown;

Friday: Josh and I will be at the location setting up and planning. This would be a good time for anyone wanting to help to show up!

Saturday: Start approximately 12 noon. We'll give a rundown of events, then start at it! G6 event first. 2 courses of around 100+ gates each. After that we will have an open format, so possibly the U4, maybe a comp crawl course.

Sunday: TTC to start out, then possibly another run of G6, and time permitting open format again.

Last edited by semnmrc; 06-17-2014 at 09:09 AM.
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: MNRCRC 2014 Scaler Event #2 - Byron, MN 2 day event! - 6/28/14-6/29/14

G6
Classes: 1.9 and 2.2
A tow strap is mandatory on all vehicles. A tow strap may be used to assist or recover other drivers on stage.
Each person or group if you run with a few people should have your own stop watch to keep track of your time.
We will print of the driver logs for you, but if you could bring your own pen or pencil to write in them that would be great.
Waterproofing is not necessary but it is highly recommended. We will try to keep water areas half tire or so high, but if it rains that could change.
All classes are allowed to use dig and 4 wheel steering on their scalers if they choose.
Rule #1 – NO HAND OF GOD. (HOG) A RECON G6 is all about driving. In keeping with the essence of the r/c scale scene a driver may not assist, stop, catch, or kick his/her vehicle. There are no penalties for electric winching or using your tow strap with help from another competitor or for reverses, so DRIVE SMART! The penalty is a DQ for hogging your scale vehicle. Performing on course repairs or having to touch your vehicle for recovery purposes is not hogging. Picking your vehicle up out of water, mud, sand, or rolling it over onto its wheels with your hand is all examples of hogging your vehicle, thus resulting in a disqualification
Rule #2 – A driver can not drive through a trail marker and reverse back through it to avoid trail obstacles. This will result in a DQ. A stage is directional and a driver must maintain the intended direction of travel. Reversing through the trail marker in the intended direction is ok.
Rule #3 – HAVE FUN!
Trail Markers [1 min+] –A driver may not straddle a trail marker. A driver must get all 4 tires through the trail marker. If a driver dislodges a trail marker or steps on a trail marker, that driver is responsible for putting that trail marker back in to position. All trail markers must be traveled through. Missing any trail marker will result in a DNF. Any trail marker hit or dislodged will result in 1 min penalty to be logged in the driver log book.
Optional Skill Sections [5 min-] marked with the appropriate boundary ribbon (pink and orange for 1.9, Pink and yellow for 2.2) with white string and orange marking paint setting the boundaries of the section. Completing the skill section gives you a 5 minute time bonus. If you hit the boundary as you are driving though it you do not get the bonus.
Penalty Winch [3 Min+/-] In the case that there is not a competitor there to help you with a pull strap, or you do not have a working winch, then you may employ the penalty winch. The penalty winch is a scale tow strap, lanyard, or winch line that you would operate with your hand acting as another vehicle to extract your stuck rig. The idea is to act as though your hand is another vehicle and pull the stuck or rolled over vehicle out of its situation in a “scale manner”. You must mark the use of the penalty winch down in the driver’s log book. It is always best to use an onboard working electric winch, or use a tow strap with the assistance from another competitor. Use of either of these methods does not result in a penalty. Once a penalty winch (self used tow strap) is employed, it will be necessary to mark this down in the G6 driver’s log book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K4D9fHcwPE0
Driver Log Book – G6 works on the honor system. All Drivers will be on stage, driving at the same time. The driver log book must be maintained and the necessary information must be logged or the driver will receive a time penalty for an incomplete log book. Trail markers hit, time bonuses, and the penalty winch are what a driver will track in their log book. Filling out your log book correctly and accurately could result in a time bonus.

Ultra 4
If time allows there will be an ultra 4 race setup for 1.9 and 2.2.

Top Truck Challenge
Vehicles must fit in the 2.2 or 1.9 trail class, 2.2 and 1.9 will be ran and scored together.
Vehicles are required to have either a winch or a tow strap.
There will be water and mud, so make sure you are water proof.
The drivers for each course will receive points for how far they traveled or how fast they finished. The fastest time always wins in the TTC. After that it depends on how far you traveled on the course. The competitor that finishes first or travels the farthest will receive 14 points down to the last place competitor that will receive 1 point. (This will change with how many people participate)
You must winch off of natural objects or spikes that are placed on course. You may use a pull pal that you carry on your rig. No winching off other rigs, shoelaces etc. No hand of God rollovers, you must right your rig with a winch......no exceptions. If you do not have a winch you can use your tow strap like the penalty winch in the G6 event without a penalty for using it.
You may only change batteries between courses and they must be hidden. No other changes can be made on a vehicle. If a vehicle dies on course you are done and will be marked at that point. You may fix it between courses but when it is your turn to run you have 1 minute from the time your name is called before you are disqualified for that course. You may replace parts that break or quit working, but no other changes may be made.
The Tank Trap will receive double points.
The courses will include:
1. Frame Twister
A winding course of rocks and holes with a water hole at the end with logs that you must pop over.
2. Obstacle Course
A criss-crossing array of hill climbs, off camber rutted trails, etc. Very fast and challenging.
3. Hill Climb
4. Mini Rubicon
A 100 foot long rock crawling course that will test your pro comp skills.
5. Truck Pull
Pull a Tonka truck full of rocks up a hill.
6. Mud Bog
A long straight mud bog that varies from 3" to 8" deep. Bring your 4s pack for this one!
7. Tank Trap
Rocky, gnarly terrain for 300 feet with at least 5 water holes. The Tank Trap and will be very challenging and you will want to be waterproof for sure, it's possible that you won't be able to see the competitors trucks for part of this one! The Tank Trap will receive double points.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Web Wheeling

Default Re: MNRCRC 2014 Scaler Event #2 - Byron, MN 2 day event! - 6/28/14-6/29/14

I thought we were going to run the same truck class rules for all club events this year to keep things simple. Allowing dig and rear steer goes against that.

Allowing those in TTC makes complete sense, but I do not want to see that in G6 events personally.

I also liked our more relaxed rules we ran this past weekend, 1 minute per gate seems harsh. Our fast drivers will have cleaner runs then the slower drivers, doubling their penaltys only hurts them even more. We can change the rules to suit our club. And depending on the course setup, if you make sections that are only passable with a winch, 3 minutes for not investing the time and money into a winch seems a little harsh. The majority of our clubs scale rigs do not have functioning winches yet.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
I thought we were going to run the same truck class rules for all club events this year to keep things simple. Allowing dig and rear steer goes against that.

Allowing those in TTC makes complete sense, but I do not want to see that in G6 events personally.

I also liked our more relaxed rules we ran this past weekend, 1 minute per gate seems harsh. Our fast drivers will have cleaner runs then the slower drivers, doubling their penaltys only hurts them even more. We can change the rules to suit our club. And depending on the course setup, if you make sections that are only passable with a winch, 3 minutes for not investing the time and money into a winch seems a little harsh. The majority of our clubs scale rigs do not have functioning winches yet.
The main thing for the penalty winch is that you have an option if there is no one around when you roll over. But the 3min penalty makes you want to stick with other people.

The 4 wheel steer and dig are so that more people have options to run, Just becasue you have them doesnt mean that you will do better with them.

Thw 1 min penalty for hitting a gate is so people take there time trying to get through harder gates and not just say, well if i hit that gate i can get by faster with the penalty then just trying to make the gate.

Remember this is only the second time we as a club are trying a G6, this is all trying to figure out what works better, we may find out that this way is better or it may be not as good, but we wont know until we try.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just remember the K.I.S.S. method... To be honest, I quit reading half way through first post.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm already turned off.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
I'm already turned off.
Good cuz I don't want to be around if you're turned on.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
The main thing for the penalty winch is that you have an option if there is no one around when you roll over. But the 3min penalty makes you want to stick with other people.

The 4 wheel steer and dig are so that more people have options to run, Just becasue you have them doesnt mean that you will do better with them.

Thw 1 min penalty for hitting a gate is so people take there time trying to get through harder gates and not just say, well if i hit that gate i can get by faster with the penalty then just trying to make the gate.

Remember this is only the second time we as a club are trying a G6, this is all trying to figure out what works better, we may find out that this way is better or it may be not as good, but we wont know until we try.

I'm ok with not promoting 4ws or dig but like Josh, I don't see it being any kind of advantage. Plus if someone has either it may encourage them to come down instead of staying home.

I kinda like the penalty changes. Maybe not the time amounts but the concept is sound. the g6 log book may be a tough thing to get right for some (including me). I like the winch penalty because those that do have a winch may take a while to get out of a bad situation and those that use the penalty winch will get out much faster. The concept of g6 is to help others so staying close to others as an incentive is cool.

Idk. Ill be cool with whatever. Since Bill and Josh are hosting I don't mind them setting the rules.

Dana
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Web Wheeling

I am against allowing dig and rear steer mainly because our goal was to keep all club events the same for class rules, keeps things even. And announcing it only 2 weeks in advance is not enough time to add either, let alone both.

I can kind of see allowing one or the other in the 2.2 class, but not both. And definitely not in the 1.9 class. But still against it overall, as I would like to see our club events stay consistent.

I too am fine with the hand pulled tow strap having a time penalty. I just do not agree with the longer times. It only gives us more experienced drivers a even greater advantage over all of the new members.

One other thing, I feel that running in teams, with 1 minute start gap times worked great at Banning. This created the added challange of passing. Also run all of the 1.9s first, then 2.2s. Do not allow those running both classes to run 2.2 first.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
I'm ok with not promoting 4ws or dig but like Josh, I don't see it being any kind of advantage. Plus if someone has either it may encourage them to come down instead of staying home.

I kinda like the penalty changes. Maybe not the time amounts but the concept is sound. the g6 log book may be a tough thing to get right for some (including me). I like the winch penalty because those that do have a winch may take a while to get out of a bad situation and those that use the penalty winch will get out much faster. The concept of g6 is to help others so staying close to others as an incentive is cool.

Idk. Ill be cool with whatever. Since Bill and Josh are hosting I don't mind them setting the rules.

Dana
thats what we were thinking with the penalty winch, hopefully you dont need it, but if you do you wont have to sit and wait untill some one comes by to help.

The rules really havent changes much, just changeing the time penalties, and adding the penalty winch.

The log book is so you dont have to remember every penalty through the 200+ gates so you can concentrate on driving.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
Just remember the K.I.S.S. method... To be honest, I quit reading half way through first post.

There is nothing simple about setting this up. Just trying to head off a few questions. Not sure if you read past the point where I said we were looking for volunteers?

Oh, and I have something you can K.I.S.S.

To be quite honest I really don't care how it's run for rules, I'd just as soon we didn't have any, just run what ya brung. The rules listed above are a condensed version of the rules from the G6 thread in that section. With that said we can massage them to our liking as long as we all agree.

As far as whether or not to allow rear steer and dig I was just trying to not turn people away. If someone beats me with either more power to them, they can brag all they want. Just trying to get people to show.

Last edited by semnmrc; 06-17-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Why not use the Axial 2013 G6 rules? Some things work and others dont but hey its a start?
Axial Racing - What is a RECON G6 ?

Also how many people have actually watched a G6 event? The first G6 we had was all about time but in reality G6 events are suppose to be about just making it through the whole event without breaking, DNF or DQing yourself. I like the rules that were made up I dont think club rules matter here because were not even competing for cash its just to have fun with small toy trucks. Thats just my .02 cents
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Per the official rules River mentioned. Here is the story from Axial. 4ws or dig on any rig is allowed.

The key thing I see is including anyone's rig as long as its scale. G6 isn't born from usrcca, its more closely tied to sorrca. That's where the class 3 type rig more closely resembles the 2.2 g6 rig and the class 2 resembles the 1.9 g6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Hey Dana the rules got chopped off..

What is a RECON G6 ?
By Axial on Jan 25, 2013

What is a RECON G6? If you have ever been to one of these events, the veterans will tell you, “It is whatever Parker wants it to be”. For those of you that are new and interested in these events, we take a look at the ins and outs of this revolutionary R/C scale event series.

RECON G6

2013 Rules & Guidelines

The RECON G6 is an r/c scale adventure that will test a driver’s ability and their r/c scalers capability. A driver will navigate their Axial vehicles through a stage marked with trail markers and perform mandatory skill sections and complete driver challenges along the way.

Goal: Finish all predetermined stages and complete all mandatory skill sections and driver challenges while maintaining a drivers log book and having fun.

Classes: There are several classes to choose from. A driver may only challenge themselves in more than one class if time allows and the second class is a different tire size. Each class will offer a driver different levels of fun with different challenges and guidelines.

-Adventurist 1.9 – This class is for drivers of 1.9 scale vehicles who enjoy a challenge. The Adventurist will demonstrate driving ability with more skill sections and more stage challenges and contend with the ever present break out time. This is the class for the driver who realizes that finishing the adventure is the goal. Drivers may use natural winch anchor points or be assisted by other Adventurists by a tow strap, winch, or another drivers shoe laces. The Adventurist may partner up with fellow Adventurist or several to experience the stage as a group and help each other reach the goal of finishing.

-Adventurist 2.2 – This Class is the same as the Adventurist 1.9 Class. Wraiths and Wronchos are at home in this class.

-Ultra 1.9 – This class is for drivers of 1.9 scale vehicles who take their scale challenge to the next level. An Ultra Driver will have to complete class specific stages and tasks and mandatory skill / driver challenges in the quickest time possible. This class is a more like a rally cross style stage with a quicker pace and more difficult mandatory challenges. Drivers of this class must use natural winch anchors points only or be helped from another Ultra Driver. Any outside assistance will result in a Stage DNF. There are no time restrictions for the Ultra Class Driver and a pee test for doping may not be mandatory, but highly recommended for any Ultra Class Driver who isn’t sweating.

-Ultra 2.2 – The same as the Ultra 1.9, except 2.2 tires are used.

-RECON G6 Teams – This Team Challenge is for 1.9 drivers who share one scale vehicle. This could be two friends or two family members that drive and maintain one scaler. Each team driver will be required to drive half of the total stage or any configuration of the stage as the Driver or Team Captain deems. If a stage is 200 trail markers, each driver will be responsible for driving half of the trail markers then handing the driving duties over to their teammate to complete the stage and finish. Keeping your vehicle together is part of the team challenge. While one team member is driving, the other will be their stage buddy. A Team driver may winch off their stage buddies shoe lace.

RECON G6 Scale Vehicle Requirements:

The rule of thumb here is simple; is it scale?

-Axial Vehicles or custom vehicles with Axial transmissions, Axial axles, Axial chassis or a significant amount of Axial products only.

-Your Axial based scale vehicle must be 1/10 car / truck with a scale chassis or custom tube scale chassis.

- Wheel sizes may be 1.55, 1.9, or 2.2, Tires that fit these wheels must be a licensed manufactured tire or knock offs. Tires must resemble the real thing and can only be siped or grooved. No other alterations may be made.

- A minimum of 5 scale items must be attached and remain attached to the vehicle. This may include mandatory scale items that may be used on stage for recoveries. The number of scale items may vary from event to event.

- A tow strap is mandatory on all vehicles at every event. A tow strap may be used to assist or recover other drivers on stage.

- All scale recovery items/tools, must be attached to the vehicle and after their use, be placed back on the vehicle. This includes sand ramps, tow straps, and hi-lift jacks. The only exception is lug wrench or nut driver. Real tools may be on the driver.

- All classes are allowed to use dig and 4 wheel steering on their scalers if they choose.

RECON G6 General Rules:

Rule #1 – NO HAND OF GOD. (HOG) A RECON G6 is all about driving. In keeping with the essence of the r/c scale scene a driver may not assist, stop, catch, or kick his/her vehicle. There are no penalties for electric winching or using your tow strap with help from another competitor or for reverses, so DRIVE SMART! The penalty is a DQ for hogging your scale vehicle. Performing on course repairs or having to touch your vehicle for recovery purposes is not hogging. Picking your vehicle up out of water, mud, sand, or rolling it over onto its wheels with your hand is all examples of hogging your vehicle, thus resulting in a disqualification. If this happens, log the HOG incident in your drivers log book and report it to G-Central.

Here is a brief video explaining this particular rule….

Rule #2 – A driver can not drive through a trail marker and reverse back through it to avoid trail obstacles. This will result in a DQ. A stage is directional and a driver must maintain the intended direction of travel. Reversing through the trail marker in the intended direction is ok and may be required during mandatory reverse skill sections.

Rule #3 – Mandatory skill sections are just that, MANDATORY! They will be located throughout a stage and will have an entrance and exit. There may or may not be a trail marker at a mandatory skill section. This does not mean you can bypass the section. Each class will have a mandatory skill section(s) and it will be marked with a class specific color boundary. A driver must drive their class mandatory skill section(s) only.

Rule #4 – HAVE FUN! The RECON G6 is the premier scale adventure event in the World. Each class has different parameters that must be met, but you are only cheating yourself out of one of the best experiences you will have with your r/c scaler by not driving with integrity and the willingness to perform each challenge in the spirit of scale r/c.
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
thats what we were thinking with the penalty winch, hopefully you dont need it, but if you do you wont have to sit and wait untill some one comes by to help.

The rules really havent changes much, just changeing the time penalties, and adding the penalty winch.

The log book is so you dont have to remember every penalty through the 200+ gates so you can concentrate on driving.
Hey Josh, do you have any plans for a night stage or will this all be during the day?

Dana
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Hey Josh, do you have any plans for a night stage or will this all be during the day?

Dana
no night stage planned, not very many people have lights and climbing up and down hills in the dark wouldnt be very easy.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

So apparently my condensing the official G6 rules is still too complicated? Do we want to scrap the whole rules section and go with a "run what you brung" format?

If someone wants to step up and take do the planning just speak up. All I want is for people to show up and have fun!

Also there is a fair amount of setup and building to do so if anyone wants to help?

Last edited by semnmrc; 06-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by semnmrc View Post
So apparently my condensing the official G6 rules is still too complicated? Do we want to scrap the whole rules section and go with a "run what you brung" format?

If someone wants to step up and take do the planning just speak up. All I want is for people to show up and have fun!

Also there is a fair amount of setup and building to do so if anyone wants to help?
Hey Bill, to be clear I am fine with your original posting. Just put the axial rule up to explain what they're doing at other events. IMHO I think since you guys are the hosts you should make the rules so why don't we just follow the original post guys.

You are right that its about getting people out and having fun, not to exclude someone's rig because it has something others don't.

Btw: I would come down to help on Friday but I can't get out of town until Sat morning. Will try to get there as early as I can to help finish setting up.

Thanks to you and Josh for hosting this big event.

Dana
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #19
Web Wheeling

I was not against the rules, just the time penalty's. And I will bitch about rear steer and dig no matter what others say. Allowing those in comp rigs really hurt membership in the past across the country.

I also hate sorca.

I am to busy at work to even think about asking for time off, or else I would head down Friday.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
I was not against the rules, just the time penalty's. And I will bitch about rear steer and dig no matter what others say. Allowing those in comp rigs really hurt membership in the past across the country.

I also hate sorca.

I am to busy at work to even think about asking for time off, or else I would head down Friday.

The time penalties can be discussed further, I was just throwing those out there for starters/ ideas.

The rear steer and dig, I agree, shouldn't be allowed at the comps, but this isn't that style of comp.

I didn't expect anyone to take off work special for this, Just saying, if you have off and have time the help would be much appreciated.

MNRCRC 2014 Scaler Event #2 - Byron, MN 2 day event! - 6/28/14-6/29/14 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MNRCRC 2014 Scaler Event #1 - Banning State Park - 6/14/14 Nicklepimp Minnesota 26 06-16-2014 06:23 PM
Rock Hard Scaler Series Event #6 2013-2014 JRock Competitions 62 04-22-2014 08:21 AM
Rock Hard Scaler Series Event #3 2013-2014 JRock Competitions 29 01-08-2014 12:56 AM
2013-2014 ROCK HARD SCALER SERIES Event #1 JRock Competitions 70 11-05-2013 08:35 PM
MNRCRC 2010 Scaler Event #1 4/25/10 Nicklepimp Minnesota 10 04-25-2010 09:25 PM