Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: What are my options for steerable and normal dual output axles with diffs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Default What are my options for steerable and normal dual output axles with diffs?

I'm looking for axles for a new custom rc project which is a little tricky.

there will be a total of 8 axles, 6 of which are steerable. but they are not daisy chained like a 8x8 if i can help it.

basically it looks like this

1.steerable with rear output
2. steerable with dual output
3. steerable with dual output
4. non-steerable with front input

5. non-steerable with rear output
6. steerable with dual output
7. steerable with dual output
8. steerable with front input.

axles 4 and 5 are not connected together.

Basically these are my requirements.

1. unlocked differentials.
2. robust so I wont have to replace them every other pack just because the sand is a little thick (ok this is vague)
3. modular or have a wide variety of axles to suit the above needs.

i've made a shortlist, either the scx10, cross mc8 axles or yota II but none have unlocked diffs

i am not sure what options I have if i want axles with open diffs on them given that I am largely limited to on-road tracks due to its length.

I did some survey of the available rc tracks and the only place I can run this build is hard surfaces, grassy surfaces and perhaps just 1 rc trail which has a slightly bumpy terrain with hard soil ?

assuming turn radius scales nicely and given the turn radius of the actual vehicle is 18-24m, at 1/16 scale the turn radius would be around 1.12m so open diffs would be nice..
novaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What are my options for steerable and normal dual output axles with diffs?

tamiya hi lift and cr-01 axles can be made into pas thru axles and both use the same gears. they can be run locked or open. there arent alot of upgrade options available for them though.
J.Peart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What are my options for steerable and normal dual output axles with diffs?

Helios RC - AR60 Axle Pass Through Cover

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
psn
Pebble Pounder

SCX/AX10 axle kits all the way.

Easily unlocked and converted into a dual output configuration. A search will find you the threads.

Can even adapt leaf springs to save yourself the trouble of figuring out the geometry of all the links (along with a much cleaner, simpler look underneath). Just keep to <5.0" tall tires or else they will rub the leafs at anything near full steering lock.

And ax/scx10 axle parts are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Venom Creeper axles were good for a 6x6 or 8x8 too but they have been discontinued.
psn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #5

can anyone advise whether I should be going for unlocked diffs given the above setup? 8 axles, 6 steerable and for onroad and light off-roading? I can compromise and go for all steering axles
Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
psn
Pebble Pounder

for any onroad use its usually better to go with open/unlocked axles

tighter turning radius
less tire scrub
Reduced driveline stress/wear
fewer steering axles needed. Can go front and rear-end steering, or twin steer up front.

With 8 tires open diffs should do ok for light off roading as long as it's not too hilly.

Last edited by psn; 10-24-2015 at 09:42 PM.
psn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
for any onroad use its usually better to go with open/unlocked axles

tighter turning radius
less tire scrub
Reduced driveline stress/wear
fewer steering axles needed. Can go front and rear-end steering, or twin steer up front.

With 8 tires open diffs should do ok for light off roading as long as it's not too hilly.

thanks for the advice and info.

i can go for multi steering axles as i intend to make it scale like as possible though the actual vehicle uses IFS instead of solid axles

options for open diffs are limited to highlift ones? and tlt if i can find it?
Old 10-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

HPI RS4 spider diff gears are plenty strong for what you intend to build. Scx10 axles for your pass through and regular axles
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

What are my options for steerable and normal dual output axles with diffs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Power Dual RC switch with Dim on External Powered Output heyok Vendors Electronics 10 11-18-2014 05:51 AM
Dual output Creeper axle possible? psn General Scale Talk 4 01-14-2010 09:37 PM
Broke output shaft, lookin for other options phillyb Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 02-14-2009 08:53 AM