Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: R|M|D's Duece and a Half

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default R|M|D's Duece and a Half

Well.....I was itching to build something different(for me) so I decided to go the 6x6 route. I found a great deal on a FB group of a guy selling an RC4WD Beast chassis with an R2 Transmission and SCX10 axles with a bone stock untouched Bullhead body. Perfect for a Duece and a Half inspired build.

My intention is to just keep that general style, it won't be exact but I will try to keep the M35a2 influences. Framed bed, bed cover...etc.

So here it is as I received it earlier this evening along with a few things I got from RPP in anticipation of its arrival.

First thing is the front end, the bullhead front grill is very flat and fake looking, not to mention I want to push more toward the M35a2 look and pull away from the Peterbuilt look of the bullhead body. The front end on the M35a2 is far different. So I started in with some ABS and steel mesh.

That's as far as I could go tonight, have to wait for the putty to dry and become sandable.
R|M|D Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: R|M|D's Duece and a Half

Well, I got to finish sanding on the front end then paint and weathering today.

Protip: If using rattle cans always make sure to heat the can up. This will make the mist a lot finer for more even coats, it will also help with old paint or paint that is almost gone by creating more pressure in the can.

Always make sure to wipe with alcohol first to get rid of any oil residues on the body.

I prefer to paint on a turntable to be able to rotate the body without having to try to touch it whatsoever.

And remember, always use many fine layers and wait for the paint to flash before applying the next coat.

OD Green basecoat done.

Test fitting the grill after paint.

Next I decided to make a radiator to go behind the grill using cut down zip ties.

Every military vehicle need markings. For the letters & numbers I used stickers and then airbrushed and removed the stickers.

And then made a stencil to use for the door stars. After it was somewhat dry I used a semi stiff brush to create some scratch marks on them.

Next was my weathering process. For a full tutorial on that click here.

After that I fabricated windows and a windshield out of some fairly thick polycarbonate. Total pain in the ass with the bent windshield and curved sunroof, but I hate the look of the tinted windows that are made for it. Plus I plan to build a full detailed interior and want to show it off!

And lastly for the body was to do the airbrush weathering, I stayed fairly light with it but enough to make it noticeable. I of course masked the windshield for wiper marks for this step.(still need to make wipers)

I have also started tearing apart the frame to paint it as well....but more on that later.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
What could go wrong?

nice! what did you glue the custom glass in with? I'd think that superglue would fog it up and hotglue would be messy.

very nice weathering as usual
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll11 View Post
nice! what did you glue the custom glass in with? I'd think that superglue would fog it up and hotglue would be messy.

very nice weathering as usual
With this material I am able to use a super thick superglue and it doesn't fog it. I just tack the corners, then go back and smear some ShooGoo in around the edges with my finger.

and thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

looking good Ryan .....i'm almost ready to start in on mine ......
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Some pics from running it today. Loving this thing!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well, today I decided I didn't like the back end being completely bare and wanted something to scale until I can get a proper bed built. So I decided to make a 5th wheel plate.

1:1

Here is what I came up with.

And then I got a start on the front bumper.

What I have so far. Still needs to be welded together, it is just a mockup, and there will be a winch on it as well like in the 1:1 photo.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Have you though about moving the bumper further up from where pictured? If you were to place it so the main body of the bumper was inline and covering the bullheads original headlight locations, it would make both the front height of the fenders, and the height of the grill much more true to the proportion of the full size deuce.

Cool build though. I have a multi axle build I'll be starting soon, the body I'm staring with is waiting for me when I get back home tomorrow
SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDrty View Post
Have you though about moving the bumper further up from where pictured? If you were to place it so the main body of the bumper was inline and covering the bullheads original headlight locations, it would make both the front height of the fenders, and the height of the grill much more true to the proportion of the full size deuce.

Cool build though. I have a multi axle build I'll be starting soon, the body I'm staring with is waiting for me when I get back home tomorrow
It will be up a little bit from where it is on my mockup, about half covering the lights I am thinking.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Still waiting on access to a buddies welder for my bumper, but I did start working on the interior. I got the floor plate done, bolts to the top of the transmission. And I got a start on the dash. Its not perfectly scale by any means, but I tried to keep the general look and feel. I am honestly not too used to working with styrene so I thought it turned out pretty decent.

test fit and test fir and test fit....

Old 06-14-2015, 05:06 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

This looks great. Why did you changed out the tractor wheels? I also have the tractor wheels and like the looks of them. You cut the bullhead body at the same spot as i did with my build, i like how you put the jerricans. I think of installing some fake proline Dry Cell, on the same spot.
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyRoy View Post
This looks great. Why did you changed out the tractor wheels? I also have the tractor wheels and like the looks of them. You cut the bullhead body at the same spot as i did with my build, i like how you put the jerricans. I think of installing some fake proline Dry Cell, on the same spot.
Thanks! I have a full set of Trepadors and a full set of tractor tires. I plan to mainly just use the tractor tires when I am going to be getting into creeks and mud pits where the tractor tires really excel.

The body was actually cut by the guy I got it from, but it seems like it's a good spot, I just have to figure out a good way to hold the back end down. I have a bungee wrapped around holding it down now but may switch it out for Velcro or something.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I mounted my bullhead body with velcro on the rear. Today i drove the tractor tyres. Like them very much.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

WHen i drive my tractor tires, it looks like the front tyres arent mounted correctly, looks like the beadlocks arent mounted centered, Do you have that problem also? I think the wallside of the tires are a bit to soft for the weight 4,5kg.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Mine all mounted fine, they are more narrow than the wheels so they have a tendency to pull to one side more than another at times.

Today was kind of a lazy day around the R|M|D Garage, about all I got done was putting some velcro on the back of the body and then the finish details on the dash. Its not perfect but looks great from the outside of the cab looking in!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #16

Very nice work. I like the dash!
CrawlinFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

great detailed build. That front grill reworking is perfect.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Amazing work!
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys!

Not a big update, but I got the interior mostly done. I still need to add a shifter.

I want to be able to run my 5000mah packs so I had to box the battery in on the passenger side a bit unfortunately.

The zip tie holding the battery is just temporary.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

looks great !

R|M|D's Duece and a Half - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D printed 1:10 REO M109 Duece and a half killerbee68 Multi Axle Rigs 13 02-25-2016 12:21 PM
Video - Half Wraith Half Exo but ALL FUN! PSCMedia Axial Wraith 8 10-05-2013 09:19 AM
half bronco half tuber build crawler king 17 HPI Wheely King 0 01-21-2008 02:11 PM
anyone every built a half cane, half stick/4 link? STANG KILLA SS Tamiya Clod Buster 8 09-26-2007 12:41 PM