Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Frankenstein Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Frankenstein Build

The "cheap" front axle housing I picked up to solve the rotation issue didn't work out. I was never able to get it to work smoothly. So back to the drawing board. At this point I really only could see 3 options if this build was ever going to get finished. I could go with AR44 straight axles on the rear like the UMG10 and a straight AR45 on the front for the offset pumpkin which would probably be the simplest solution but I would lose the portals, or I could use the Traxxas axles and redesign the chassis around a different transmission which wouldn't be too difficult but I really like the VFD transmission, or I could just make the VFD work with the Traxxas front axle which after reading here and other places of other people's attempts I wasn't sure was even possible. This route was further complicated by the fact that my VFD is 10mm longer than stock and I also wanted 4 link and SOA.

As usual I chose to do it the hard way. But it works. I mocked up the whole chassis with 3d printed parts to make sure everything was going clear. They will all eventually be machined out of carbon fiber or delrin.
Attached Images

mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

I got some new rails cut today. I found a larger sheet of carbon that wasn't crazy expensive so I was able to make the rails one piece from the front shock towers to just beyond the rear shock towers. I think it looks better than the previous two piece rails and is stiffer. I bolted on a few things to make sure everything still fit but I have some delrin ordered so the 3d printed skid and motor plate will get replaced once that gets here. I also need to cut some carbon to replace the 3d printed SOA mount as well as a plate to mount the electronic, mounts for the dig and diff lock servos, sliders...I need to make a check list. Anyway, at least it's moving forward unlike my Capra build which is still in pieces in a box somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2022, 06:20 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

I've made a little progress on the build this weekend although with shipping issues, lost orders. parts sent from NJ to Maine by way of Oregon, parts scanned at my local post office hub to be delivered that day only to turn up 600 miles away 2 days later and then vanish, a lot less got done than I intended. I've always had good luck with the USPS so hopefully this is just a glitch. They've been far more reliable than UPS and FedEx.

Anyway, I've gotten all the axles built, driveshafts installed, and the links made and mounted. I prototyped a servo mount for the dig servo to check clearances which I was planning on doing in carbon but the PETG print is solid enough that I'll probably run it for the time being.

I printed up some sliders but those will likely have to be changed as I decided the FJ45 body I was going to use is just too pretty to cut up the way it would need to be for this build. I'll save it for something more scale. I may just go with a power wagon body but I'm open to any cab only body suggestions anyone might have.

All in all things have come together pretty good. I managed to get the extended VFD mounted on an angled skid feeding a Traxxas front axle with 4link and SOA and got everything to clear for full suspension travel. As it sits now, without a battery, receiver, or body it weighs about 6 1/2 lbs.so mid 7's should be possible and in-spite of having 3 metal axles it still has a slight forward weight bias. CG remains to be seen but I'm not sure there's any way I could have got it much lower running portals. A lot of speculation on my part but once the weather dries out a bit I'll find out.
Attached Images

Frankenstein Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frankenstein Mike Flea Axial SCX-10 14 05-11-2014 06:39 PM
Frankenstein Rok Out Axial Wraith 46 01-14-2014 05:37 PM
Frankenstein Mr. Ed Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 02-22-2009 03:50 PM