Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Why do we flip shocks the upsidedown?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
the farther out that you mount the shocks from center the more stable the chassis will be but you also get less articulation. as you move the shocks inward you actualy gain articulation. also.. by moving the shocks outward, you are pretty much running the shock inline with the axles rotational axis. - thus the shock would have 100% effectiveness.. as you move it inwards, you gain travel but loose effectivness... ie.. 45 degrees inward gives you @ 25% more travel but only 50% effectiveness... make sence or am i talkin out my ass?
Makes total sense. these are the answers I am looking for. Logical
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
you can never roll too low. the whole point of a droop setup is an ubber low center of gravity and a breakover angle when it is needed. On the blackjack im building right now with TXT axles, the driveshafts actually angle up to the input shafts on the axles and the links also angle up. She runs a Delrin skid on the bottom for a reason. Belly draggers all the way! also running the shocks upsidedown to bring everything lower down.. the lower the better!

Crawling tips:
Get the motor as low as you can, clock the tranny if needed

get the battery as low as you can.. axle mounted - front preffered or on the links

run the shocks upsidedown

run droop with internal springs

get the esc and receiver down as low as you can, rear axle preffered

slam the body down as low as you can!
Quote:
the farther out that you mount the shocks from center the more stable the chassis will be but you also get less articulation. as you move the shocks inward you actualy gain articulation. also.. by moving the shocks outward, you are pretty much running the shock inline with the axles rotational axis. - thus the shock would have 100% effectiveness.. as you move it inwards, you gain travel but loose effectivness... ie.. 45 degrees inward gives you @ 25% more travel but only 50% effectiveness... make sence or am i talkin out my ass?

Lots of good info here. I wish i could put this on my sig, for others who need to know. Great job explaining this
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #23
RCC Addict

I am starting (Tomorrow) to run droop...fluid only (60wt) I have 1/2" spacers to limit drop, and give 2" of GC. My rear sits about 1/8" lower than the front. Do any of you see an issue with the rear running a little low??
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Shocks inside = uber articulation.

Matt
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I am starting (Tomorrow) to run droop...fluid only (60wt) I have 1/2" spacers to limit drop, and give 2" of GC. My rear sits about 1/8" lower than the front. Do any of you see an issue with the rear running a little low??
Only thing is to try it. You may run into issues with breakover... We ran a comp today and one of the guys had full droop and it ran very nicely on all the courses...
KvilleKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I finally got my new truck together I am just waiting on some new batteries and the fun begins. This is what I did to it so far. Moved the links inside the chassis, 4 link set up front and rear, running droop with hard internal springs in the rear to lock it out and medium in the front, 55 weight all around, weighted the wheels and star cut the foams.
Attached Images

liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote