Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Why do we flip shocks the upsidedown?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Why do we flip shocks the upsidedown?

I was wondering why most people flip the shocks upside down? to prevent leaking? You get the same amount of travel. I am going to switch to droop and I bought the TCS hard internal springs to lock out the rear suspension and medium internal springs for the front.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

all that heavy fluid gets moved down lower
mexiCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

a lot of shocks have a pivot ball on the bottom of shocks, and when upside down it puts the pivot on the chassis which lets it traval smoother.
roadkill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill424 View Post
a lot of shocks have a pivot ball on the bottom of shocks, and when upside down it puts the pivot on the chassis which lets it traval smoother.
There are pivot balls on both ends of a shock? I wil go with the lower center of gravity for 200. My only debate is does the 1oz. of lowered weight really make a difference.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketocrawl View Post
There are pivot balls on both ends of a shock? I wil go with the lower center of gravity for 200. My only debate is does the 1oz. of lowered weight really make a difference.
Every little bit counts...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I tried it on my AX-10 and it popped the cap right of one in the rear within minutes...

Jason
JaynDrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

JP is right every little bit helps. I even try to use as little paint as possible when painting a body. It' one of reason I like the little bodies, it's all about CG.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaynDrea View Post
I tried it on my AX-10 and it popped the cap right of one in the rear within minutes...

Jason
this happened to me too, but let me ask this... Have you limited your flex any yet? I think I had about 70 degrees of articulation when mine would pop off. I have since gone down to about 45 degrees. I haven't ran them upside down yet (waiting on parts), but I'm thinking it has alot to do with the amount of stretching (flex) that the shock has to go through.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Less shock leakage. Fluid cant leak out the shaft seal when the shock is upside down.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ok. I switched to a droop set up with medium internal springs and 55wt shock oil, now the truck seems to sit really low. I think there is too much droop. How do you know when there is too much? the lower links are almost below level.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

There is no 100% correct setup. Drive it and see how you like it. Most droop setups do try to get the links parallel with the ground so I say run it as is and test it to see if you like it.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
There is no 100% correct setup. Drive it and see how you like it. Most droop setups do try to get the links parallel with the ground so I say run it as is and test it to see if you like it.
I understand but there is a point of too much and I was just wondering what that was. It just looks wrong.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #13
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketocrawl View Post
I understand but there is a point of too much and I was just wondering what that was. It just looks wrong.

Sounds like something my wife tells me. :-(

If you get your belly hung up alot then bring it up some, try putting the 1/2 spacers on the shaft to pick it up some.

If you have to much articulation/droop try putting spacers inside.

Trial and error, find your trucks sweet spot where it likes to be, appearance only works when its sittin on your shelf.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I tried turning mine "up-side down" for clearance reasons, and the one thing I noticed was the air gets trapped around the piston. When the shock starts it's cycle that air causes the shock to kinda "jerk' or "slip" a little bit (am I making sense?). This caused the travel to be inconsistent and erratic (whew, some big words there). I changed back to the "normal" position. But then I realized half the time at least one or more shocks will be either horizontal or some other position other than when the truck is sitting on a level surface. So, the air is gonna move around anyway. If you have bladder shocks there is no air, but for emulsion shocks like most of us use there will always be air in the shock.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #15