Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How many of you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Default How many of you

Let me first start by saying hi and nice forum, well laid out and very informative. I myself have been involved in rc as long as I can remember, so I'm not really a newb to rc but to crawling. I have recently signed up and have been reading like I was studying for end of school exams. Anyway after searching and not finding what I was looking for. I would like to know. How many of you that got started in crawling to see if you liked it, ended up going allout just to see what your rig could really do? I have my eye on two kits right now but can't really decide as yet. I don't mind spending money on my hobbies because its what I like but, just wanted to know how addictive this segment of the hobby is.
islandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I believe everyone on here goes allout on there rigs whether its a shafty type or berg ,clod type. Well all out as far as there pockets or marriage will allow. What type of crawlers you lookin at.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have had about 30 RC's in the past year. Nitro bashers, electric bashers, brushless w/ LiPo, race rigs, 5th scale baja SS, I've had it all. I decided to build a crawler to see if I would like it. I just couldn't imagine having a lot of fun going slow. Man was I WRONG! RC's have always been a passion, but I've never found anything that I love like crawling. I was building my first crawler thinking that I would sell it if I didn't like it. It turns out, I was in love in a hurry. I now have about 5 crawlers assembled with parts to build a few more. I'm competing, and I have a sponsor. I also now design and develop my own line of crawler parts and have partnered up with a machine shop to produce and market my parts.

All I can say is don't skimp out on your rig, you will be surprised how much you like it, and you will end up spending more money if you don't spend smart the first time around. IMO, the Axial is a great way to get started, and the ARTR is by far the most truck you can get for the money.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley05 View Post
I believe everyone on here goes allout on there rigs whether its a shafty type or berg ,clod type. Well all out as far as there pockets or marriage will allow. What type of crawlers you lookin at.
Well, it would be between the scorpion kit or the wheely king. The wheely king (I know its not a crawler) because I have access to a machine shop at work, and can make most of the parts I need and its a cheap starter rig. And the scorpion because of the huge aftermarket support, and also because its a cheap starter rig. I also just realised that I have a clod with a new era tube frame and 4link setup that's in pefectly good condition, just needs electronics that I could modify aswell, but don't want to get too in over my head with the clod just yet.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well for me, Its extreamly addicting like you cant imagine. And its great fun. working and up-grading is one of my favorite parts, and getting to see how well your ideas work compared to others. And i suggest the ax10 ARTR its a great machine, I have an RTR to start with but I have been up-grading the crap out of it most of the things i have changed, you can just get custom with the ARTR

but good luck, and Hope to see you around the fourms!
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley05 View Post
Well, it would be between the WK because I have access to a machine shop at work, and I can make most of the parts I need, and also because its a cheap starter rig. The other is the scorpion because of the huge aftermarket support that follows it and also, because its a cheap starter rig. Either way I feel I'll probably spend about the same amout to get them rock worthy. (The Scorpion, electronics, batts. The WK, conversion, electronics and the likes)

Charles the man, I had the same feeling towards it as you did. "I really can't see myself having fun driving over some rocks". But after watching some vids and signing up on this forum, I decided I might aswell try it out. I've been through cars, then moved on to planes, then to helis, to boats, back to cars then back to planes. Right now there is a bunch of guys including myself that gets together every saturday night to race. We all have associated GT2' with stock engines and road tires to keep things even, but I just don't find that fun anymore, just gets old after a while. I guess with the ever changing courses in rock crawling their is always a new challenge.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #7

Don't know what happened in that post, I'm still getting used to the forum. My apologies to the mods.

In reply to Jkelley05. My choices would be between the WK because its cheap, and and have acess to a machine shop at work.I can always make most of the parts I need for it. The other would be the scorpion for obvious reasons. I'm leaning more toward the axial though because of aftermarket support. I can really see myself going tuber with whatever I purchase, even though I won't compete, but like jmantalk said, just for personal satisfaction.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

Go with one of the Axial kits. The WK will need a lot more money in parts to make it competitive.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

bought an AX-10 becuase crawling looked to be fun and it has been. What hooked me was the scale section being that i like to build models. that was the hook line and sinker for me. I am still trying to pull the hook out of the side of my mouth its starting to hurt
slegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I use to be into r/c's way back in the day, and ended up buying my first AX10 2 years ago just to see what they were about, mostly because I was lookin for something to put together on a rainy day. I put it together and it sat on the shelf without electronics for a year, until our 1:1 wheelin parks got shut down around here. Got bored again and decided to get it going. I didn't have much interest in it until I actually did some driving with it to see what all it could do, now I've got r/c crawler stuff all over the place. Have since built 2 others in the last year with plans on at least one or two more this year.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I got back into RC after 15 years off and decided to go the crawler route just because I was lurking around different forums and the scalers looked so freakin cool. I've got a CR-01 now, not exactly super scale, but pretty capable besides and looks cool as hell on the rocks. I'm still surprised with what it does whenever I use it.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I started with locking the axles in my Wheely King. I wanted to see what I could do to make it more capable of cralwing over things. Then I found this site and a few local guys that were into crawling. Now the only thing left of the WK is the axles.

It's definitely addicting!
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
gas
Rock Stacker

addicting i should be in rehab
gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Go with one of the Axial kits. The WK will need a lot more money in parts to make it competitive.
The axial is my top pick, but I see this being said a lot on the forum. When you say it will cost more to make a WK competitive, how much more are we really talking about? Just curious.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
RCC Addict

rc crawling is definatly an addiction for me

it seems like for every hour of wheel time im doing about 4 hours of tuning.
and its not that anything is breaking its just that im trying to squeeze every single drop of performance out of my rig

i think i may ave a problem
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcrawler View Post
The axial is my top pick, but I see this being said a lot on the forum. When you say it will cost more to make a WK competitive, how much more are we really talking about? Just curious.
The WK is a fun truck. But to turn it into a true crawler you'll need to replace the chassis, tranny, suspension links, tires, etc. Where as the AX10 will be ready to hit the rocks out of the box.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
The WK is a fun truck. But to turn it into a true crawler you'll need to replace the chassis, tranny, suspension links, tires, etc. Where as the AX10 will be ready to hit the rocks out of the box.
Says Mr. Axial

Listen to the man, the Axial is the best platform to learn and build off of...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My story is pretty much like most. I was into nitro bashing and micro scale electric and was wanting something different I could do around the house without needing a huge area to mess around in.

Crawling started making more and more appearances in the magazines with great reviews so I went for the AX10 kit. Had a blast building it, got whatever answers I needed here at rccrawler and started hopping it up immediately.

It wasn't long before I snaked all the landscaping rocks to build a rock garden.

Haven't stopped since.

whipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #19

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread! I was thinking WK or AX-10 but now I am thinking a WK would be a bad choice.

I thinking about building a ground up kinda deal. GT2 tranny MIP shafts AX-10 axles. Custom chassis and links. I hope my 1:1 knowledge (racing not crawling) transfers over!

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread...and thank to those that gave input.

Chris
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Just jump it!

I wish i would have got an axial first.My wk does good but tna axial just is all around set up better. the axles have more ground clearance and it has a lower center of gravity. You can see some clips and pick of my WK here.
http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/rottenbelly/
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote