Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MRC on the way....any must do Modifications out of the box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MRC on the way....any must do Modifications out of the box?

New to crawlers, 20+ years in RC....

Any good modifications out of the box that are considered "must do" for this little truck? I have a few full size servos I was thinking of swapping 1 in at least to start.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Ha ha, it starts. Now you are on the darkside of forums. Welcome here.

Start off here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/

You will find more response here than RC10Talk.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Ha ha, it starts. Now you are on the darkside of forums. Welcome here.

Start off here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152

You will find more response here than RC10Talk.
I feel like I know you from somewhere.....
Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

wow, well get some sticky wieghts for the wheels that is a must. remove the electronics tray and mount them as low as possible. weight forward as much as possible. the stock tires kinda suck but they will do until you get some softer tires a must for next summer. just my opinion
the other 2.2 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the other 2.2 guy View Post
wow, well get some sticky wieghts for the wheels that is a must. remove the electronics tray and mount them as low as possible. weight forward as much as possible. the stock tires kinda suck but they will do until you get some softer tires a must for next summer. just my opinion

Are the sticky weights a hobby shop sort of item, or are people finding them at other places?

I got the stock battery servo taped to the front servo at the moment.....I just don't want to hack up the radio tray, I'd like to get some of those nice spacer tubes I see on here to keep the chassis sturdy as well.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
X2..........That's about all you need to make these really capable. You can get the weights from a 1:1 tire shop.

Check this thread out:
wheel weight questions
Smuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuff View Post
X2..........That's about all you need to make these really capable. You can get the weights from a 1:1 tire shop.

Check this thread out:
wheel weight questions
Thanks.....anything to worry about besides a possibly stronger steering servo with all the weight?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

So far so good on mine but it's winter here so not too much hardcore action right now. I'm just gonna run mine and upgrade when things break.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

i say cut the radio tray. there is no use for it at all once the electronics are moved. it will just add weight and higher COG. i havent seen anything to worry about with the weight but like Smuff said run it this winter and see what breaks. i am trying to do mine as cheap as possible. i ditched the radio tray and used some small all thread with bic pens to sleeve it and mounted some mini giant threaded shocks to the new all thread mounts, that strengthed the chassis and new shock mounts. i am still running the stock servo but ditch the servo saver and mount the supplied solid arm.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I put the battery on the back pad with some sticky tape.....had it on the front servo, but I did not care for the look of it that high up. Dropped the body 1/2 for a better look as well.

I'll get some sticky weights for the wheels as well, to offset & balance the battery being out back.

At this point I don't see a real need to dremel or remove the radio plate yet, I just removed the battery hold down tabs for the moment. Getting that stock 4.4oz battery off the top of the truck should be the biggest improvement.

I also have a few of the Losi 7.4v 1000Mah LiPo's I plan on using with this truck as well. Drops 2.2oz from that battery weight.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
TN State Champ 11,12,13

You really want that battery out front. The added wt on the rear axel will cause it to back-flip on really steep stuff. You will want to get a esc with a lipo cut-off if you plan to ust the lipo. The tekin fxr is an awesome esc with a built in lipo cut-off and BEC good for 2 cell lipo, as well as a great drag brake that is adjustable.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I had my stock battery out back and I ended up moving it up front on the 3 link as well as my esc on the steering servo and the reciever on top of the battery. So all of my stuff is up front and this thing is waaaaaaay better than stock.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuff View Post
I had my stock battery out back and I ended up moving it up front on the 3 link as well as my esc on the steering servo and the reciever on top of the battery. So all of my stuff is up front and this thing is waaaaaaay better than stock.
Got a picture of your setup?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
Got a picture of your setup?
Here's how it is right now. I did the trans flip, moved all the electrics up front with zip ties and double sided tape.

I also made some bent links with 3mm all thread and 3/16 brakeline as well as four linked the rear using the cut up electronics tray to make the 4 link mount in the rear, worked out pretty slick.

I was able to rotate the axle to gain DS clearance in the back

Overall I have only bought the brakeline, all thread, traxxas 3mm rod ends, and various 3mm nuts. The big purchase was the blue claws and memory foam which set me back like 50 bucks at the LHS. The improvement over stock was huge though.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i say cut the radio tray. there is no use for it at all once the electronics are moved. it will just add weight and higher COG. i havent seen anything to worry about with the weight but like Smuff said run it this winter and see what breaks. i am trying to do mine as cheap as possible. i ditched the radio tray and used some small all thread with bic pens to sleeve it and mounted some mini giant threaded shocks to the new all thread mounts, that strengthed the chassis and new shock mounts. i am still running the stock servo but ditch the servo saver and mount the supplied solid arm.
why add the solid arm i heard it will break the servo arm easier????
KrazyKrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well, I trans flipped it, moved the battery to the front upper link, ESC to the back upper link, and put the Rx on the Trans for now, until I can extend the
servo lead just another inch, and I will stick it out back on the rear plate perhaps.....but it works fine as is.....

Typically lower arms sit level....

Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Damn nice start there! All ya had to do was tinker with it. How is she driving now?
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKrawler48 View Post
why add the solid arm i heard it will break the servo arm easier????
Way more response with the solid arm. the servo saver is nice for beginners i guess but you need to be able to count on your tires moving when you want them to move and where you want them to go. a broken servo or arm is part of the game thats why people get such powerful servos. move the entire truck if need be.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Get some blue Rock Bashers and you'll find that its climbing abilities will be increased dramatically.

I'd also recommend removing the spacers from the shocks and limiting them internally a few millimeters to lower the ride height. After I got the blue bashers and lowered mine, it crawls ten times better than stock.
salteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

im going to take the tray out and i want to be able to put the battery on the upper links but i dont want to have the shocks sticking way out like that. is there any way to put it differently so you can run the shocks on the inside??? Oh ya and can i even put the battery there if i dont flip the transmission???

Last edited by KrazyKrawler48; 01-12-2009 at 06:12 PM.
KrazyKrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote