Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I'm thinking about getting into this. Yes / No?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

that's odd, check this one

then this one

Is this the tranny your referring to?

knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

I'm all over the f'n map fellas. Holy sheite muslems batman. I got full blown Crawler GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1683
Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #43

Wow that photo of the crawler you posted is awesome looking!

Crawling is very fun form of RCing. I don't know what it is about it, but it's fun and addicting. I constantly want to buy parts and modify my Losi MRC. I actually buying and wrenching as much as actually driving my RCs, though which is weird since I HATE wrenching on full-size toys. I guess the cool thing about crawlers is that you're sort of "competing" with yourself and the rocks each time you go out. When you get out other kinds of RCs and bash there really isn't any challenge unless you're actually competing.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-02-2009 at 08:51 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Hmm, now that last pic you posted of the Copperhead is making me wonder if I could make it work. In that thread the pic of the R2D tranny is the one I'm talking about, so as you see the rear driveshaft hooks up further back than the one in the pics, which would be better. I just happen to have a spare R2D tranny layin around, and some axles as well, so I may be building that soon.

I was mainly going by this build on it, that's what changed my mind.

Copperhead build
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Well, do people personally have problems with the copperhead and that long shaft? Is it an actual problem or are you pointing out what could be a potential problem?

I have no idea what he was talking about in that thread.

Last edited by knuckleslammer; 04-03-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
Well, do people personally have problems with the copperhead and that long shaft? Is it an actual problem or are you pointing out what could be a potential problem?

I have no idea what he was talking about in that thread.
Haven't head of any, but then again I've only seen that one Copperhead build. My driveshafts take a beating, and with the motors I like to run it just doesn't look as strong as it needs to be to me. The second one has got me wondering though, and honestly if I ran an AX10 transmission with my VF dig on it instead of the R2D, I might be able to fit a Cobalt motor in there, as well as having a better mountin location for the driveshaft.

Now you've made me start thinkin again..
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Hey, what's dig mean? I know it has something to do with the transmisison? The ability to lock out the differential so both wheels turn no matter what?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey, what's dig mean? I know it has something to do with the transmisison? The ability to lock out the differential so both wheels turn no matter what?
No. Most crawlers have a locked differential at all times so all wheels are pulling anyway. Dig is locking the back axle, or rather locking down the back tires. With this, the front tires are pulling, while the back tires are locked down. This causes the tires to spin, or dig into the ground, and you can turn alot sharper since they're basically pulling you around while the back ones aren't moving.

If you're familiar at all with 1:1 wheeling this is like having a twin stick transfer case where you can have front wheel drive only, and hold the back brakes locked down.

Requires another servo on that tranny and a 3 channel radio.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I say go for it i am 45 and still play with the baja 5b now those are money pits i have several crawlers and yes some stuff breaks but its a ton of fun and challenging thats a good crawler your looking at have fun
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 AM   #50

Quote:
I'm all over the f'n map fellas. Holy sheite muslems batman. I got full blown Crawler GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1683

Lol, I've been looken at that one too. That thing's badass isn't it. I'm just not sure about the turning radius. When they turn the wheels, it looks like the wheels barely move left or right. It might just be me though.
Injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #51

If you setup the Copperhead as per their direction its a very short rig and turns well. I extended the wheelbase by about 3" so the turning is shagged now but also installing rear steer so that should help.

Only other critism I have of the copperhead is the way the lower links mount, they dont give enough movement. I have mounted the stock SCX10 belly pan under mine as my mount point.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #52
RCC Addict

You do realize you dig up a thread that's over a year old right?

In RC time that's ages ago..............
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote