Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new to crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new to crawling

here is my truck any advice on what i should do?

californiadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
WOOPOOW!!

Hey, Glad to see you finaly showed up! Heres some advice:
First off, I would get ahold of some good bent lower links. Those ones you have now will bend/break and what not, ive seen the way you drift
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-5...n-p-16648.html
Next thing I would do is replace all of your steering linkages with some nice anodised stronger material, which I have:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...2-p-16685.html
I will bring that to the comp next weekend.
The next thing I would look into is a new set of shocks, that will be on you. You have alot more flex than needed, try stiffer springs, or spacing the spring out a bit. I have some stiffer springs if you would like.
Next thing, a battery. I gave you some good links for batteries, but these are always easy to use:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...r-p-16949.html
Remember to post all your questions in your build thread. I know you know that, but if you need imediate help, post in the forum it applies to.

Last edited by Colby; 07-07-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Battery mount, and a Traxxas or deans connect.
Oh and don't let the cat steal your crawler's Thunder!
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
WOOPOOW!!

May also want to check this thread out:
Axial tips and tricks
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
Battery mount, and a Traxxas or deans connect.
Oh and don't let the cat steal your crawler's Thunder!
hahaha yea about that battery mount i have one just that i wanted to run the car and couldent find it lol.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
Hey, Glad to see you finaly showed up! Heres some advice:
First off, I would get ahold of some good bent lower links. Those ones you have now will bend/break and what not, ive seen the way you drift
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-5...n-p-16648.html
Next thing I would do is replace all of your steering linkages with some nice anodised stronger material, which I have:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...2-p-16685.html
I will bring that to the comp next weekend.
The next thing I would look into is a new set of shocks, that will be on you. You have alot more flex than needed, try stiffer springs, or spacing the spring out a bit. I have some stiffer springs if you would like.
Next thing, a battery. I gave you some good links for batteries, but these are always easy to use:
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...r-p-16949.html
Remember to post all your questions in your build thread. I know you know that, but if you need imediate help, post in the forum it applies to.
thanx for the advice colby
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
WOOPOOW!!

No prob man, we'll get ya set up. If anything just drop the rig off and I will work some colby magic (Sometimes thats a bad thing) :-P
Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #8

yeah looks like a battery mount would serve you good
lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
No prob man, we'll get ya set up. If anything just drop the rig off and I will work some colby magic (Sometimes thats a bad thing) :-P
yea sounds good man
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer View Post
yeah looks like a battery mount would serve you good
yea i now im gonna look for it today.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

another thing would be to get lower aluminum links or delrin, and get a saddle pack battery and strap it to the front axle and you will notice a huge diffrence. weight your wheels if you havent, put your axial foams in the losi rock claws if you have them.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
another thing would be to get lower aluminum links or delrin, and get a saddle pack battery and strap it to the front axle and you will notice a huge diffrence. weight your wheels if you havent, put your axial foams in the losi rock claws if you have them.
im gonna get those soon. i have weights on the wheels and it makes a big difference wich thats the way i got it but i can tell the difference. and i have memory foam. so the axials would be better? thanx for the advice.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

After you do all that was suggested above, try looking into getting rid of the 3 link uppers and go for a 4 link setup. After you do all that, you'll be amazed at the difference in performance!!
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
After you do all that was suggested above, try looking into getting rid of the 3 link uppers and go for a 4 link setup. After you do all that, you'll be amazed at the difference in performance!!
ok cool man thanx
Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There is alot of good information given by colbythekid the best is the TCS web site. Once you get the feel for building and re-building your rig, and looking at other drivers rigs you will see what you may want to change or even keep. personaly I went over axle batts, Losi 4.0 shocks, new esc (Sidewinder), tires, dig unit, and weights in all 4 wheels. These are just a few thing I did to mine. Lets see some more pics when you get some new hardware on the beast. OH and when all else fails that is when you go Berg. LOL
65volkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrft View Post
im gonna get those soon. i have weights on the wheels and it makes a big difference wich thats the way i got it but i can tell the difference. and i have memory foam. so the axials would be better? thanx for the advice.
depends on your rig but the axials work good for me, also it depends on where you run with memory foam and i run my memory foams in the summer time and standard in the fall amd winter. i love the losi crawler shock they are great, nice and smooth, along with lots of adjustments. id also recomend the 7 or 8 cell saddle packs the are awsome and give more speed to your motor

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 07-07-2009 at 01:30 PM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hi some wheel weights would be very helpfull and a set of tires about bent links im using the real dogmans links and havent broke them yet.
jmontes_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65volkswagen View Post
There is alot of good information given by colbythekid the best is the TCS web site. Once you get the feel for building and re-building your rig, and looking at other drivers rigs you will see what you may want to change or even keep. personaly I went over axle batts, Losi 4.0 shocks, new esc (Sidewinder), tires, dig unit, and weights in all 4 wheels. These are just a few thing I did to mine. Lets see some more pics when you get some new hardware on the beast. OH and when all else fails that is when you go Berg. LOL
o ok yea man colby is pretty cool hes helped me out alout. and i will post more pics up when i get more hardeware on. or when i get a body on it
Old 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
depends on your rig but the axials work good for me, also it depends on where you run with memory foam and i run my memory foams in the summer time and standard in the fall amd winter. i love the losi crawler shock they are great, nice and smooth, along with lots of adjustments. id also recomend the 7 or 8 cell saddle packs the are awsome and give more speed to your motor
well i was thinking of going lipo soon
Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontes_21 View Post
Hi some wheel weights would be very helpfull and a set of tires about bent links im using the real dogmans links and havent broke them yet.
ok well i went to hobbytown and bout the hardeware for the bent link and two bent axial links thats all the money i had at the time so soon ill get the other two then mount them on and i will post pics up.