Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Default what to start with?

im new to the world of rc crawling and rc's in general. i would like to buy a truck that is good at crawling as well as just going bombing through my back yard. ive been looking at tamiya f350's and the 4 link kits from toughracing.com for them. but i have no idea if this would be a good place to start? any ideas of a better way to go would help!
76cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i would recommend a kit what ever truck you buy if its available in kit form cause then you know that truck inside and out and can repair or replace and diagnose within minutes
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
i would recommend a kit what ever truck you buy if its available in kit form cause then you know that truck inside and out and can repair or replace and diagnose within minutes

X2. Alot of guys will also tell you to stay away from the rtr trucks because the electronics are junk. I on the otherhand disagree. Except for the servo the electronics are not to bad. For someone that is starting out I recommend the axial RTC. Granted it will prolly need a servo soon it will get you into the hobby. If it is go fast you want I would say the RTR, but if your budget allows go with a kit or the ARTR they have the metal links you want and you choose the electronics. Build it the way you want the first time. Just my 2 cents. For someone new to both crawling and RC for that matter, you don't want to spend to much and not like it. I got the ARTR and loved it. Then I got an SCX10 and havnt touched my comp rig in a month.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default .

ARTR!!! then you can set the rig up with some decent electronics. Axial makes a grate ARTR starter rig.
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

welcome to the RC world. i'm pretty new to crawling myself, but the thing that helped me the most was reading about the various crawlers, figuring out a budget, then deciding which crawler fit into that. so that's my recommendation. good luck on your search
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

so which axial ARTR is better the ax-10 or the scx10? and what is the difference between them, is one crawler specific and the other just basic bashing?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

As far as ARTRs go the ax10 is crawler bases and 2.2 size wheeled. If it is comp crawling you want go with that. The SCX10 doesn't come as an ARTR, just rtr and the kit. But it is a scaler with 1.9 wheels. Both are awsome trucks. Depends on what you wan to do with it. If you are going for big flex and crazy crawling get the AX.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #8

what do you think id be happier with? im not sure what i will do most, probably a little of everything. what kind of top speed does the AX have compared to the SCX? because i still like going fast and jumping and such but still want to be able to go up and down the rock piles without having to keep it pinned and have the tires spinning everywhere
Old 09-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

They both use the same drive train. So top speed on either is the same depending on the motor. If your gunna bash, get the AX10 ARTR and throw in a 7t HH puller motor. And a capadable ESC. That will have good speed and crawling capabilities. As for the jumping, plan in breaking stock c's and knuckles. Or upgrade your axles with som good aluminum goodies. C's, knuckle, strait axlesin the rear. Better upgrade the drivelines to for the landings and a slipper clutch wouldn't hurt. But for sure go with an artr. The crawler king by HPI would be a good choice too if your gunna bash it alot. But not as capable or as easy to make a comp rig later as the axial.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

ok noob to noob .... i just picked up the R.T.C. about a week ago .... i have only one complaint with it and that's the steering(common axial are you serious)...the electronics are not the best but they work just fine ..it sucks not haven a drag brake but its made me a better operator ...i started with a Losi m.r.c. and every thing on that rig has broke more than once ...the axail r.t.c , I.M.O cant be beat for the price i paid 330 shipped with saddle pack(six cell 1500mah) onyx 200 charger and saddle pack mounts from ckrc, t.c.s. also has the same price on everything ...i'm on my 15th charge and still havent broke a thing, i would recomend it to any newbie, but i would also recomend replacing that servo and steering links to stiffen up that steering, unless your going straight all the time...
CustomCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #11

i started with a mini and have an ax10 kit comming. The mini is fun and i crawl around the fireplace witj it when its raining or late at night.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cummins View Post
so which axial ARTR is better the ax-10 or the scx10? and what is the difference between them, is one crawler specific and the other just basic bashing?
The AX10 is a better all around crawler! But if you what that realization in a crawler the SCX10 is awesome! Two different worlds!!! but the same result. A hole lot of fun. Good luck!! Here's 2 pictures of 14 different crawlers that I have compiled over a 10 month period. PS: you can see some of my other rigs in my photo albums.Name:  AX10.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  SCX10.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  82.8 KB

Last edited by SaxtonSlaughter; 09-06-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #13

so ive pretty much decided on an axial scx 10. but what kind of run time can i expect from this truck?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Default .

It will depend on the electronics that you run. Running the SCX10, you will have a lot more room in the chaise to work with, when it comes to electronic placement. By running a Castle Creation ESC ( Sidewinder ) you can run a 3cell 2600mah 35c Hyperion Lipo Battery, this will give you about 1hr continuous power before it hits its cut off.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #15

sweet! i figured that the only way to get run time like that was to run a nitro rc. why does nobody use nitro crawlers?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Default .

Throttle control!! It would be a problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cummins View Post
sweet! i figured that the only way to get run time like that was to run a nitro rc. why does nobody use nitro crawlers?

its been done. but its also been proven that electric will always out preform
a nitro on the rocks... the power nitros deliver is horsepower .. in crawling you need torque not high revs and raw power electrics deliver instant torque you dont have to build up rpm to get the torque you need i think i got my thery right but what do i know im a noob
CustomCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm running a novak 55t in my scx 10 and a rooster with a 5400 2s lipo and I get almost 2 hrs run time.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #19

2 hours holy crap! thats the setup i want! what kind of price range will that setup put me in?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default .

That set up will run you approximately $220+Tax at your local Hobby Store.
Novak ESC Roster $89
Novak Motor 55T $29
Hyperion Battery - 5400mah 2s 30c $100

Note: You will still need a Receiver, Steering Servo and a Lipo charger
New Receiver's ranges from $30 to $130 depending on what style Radio your running. Steering Servo's range from $25 to $140 and a decent Lipo Charger will range from $110 to $220

Last edited by SaxtonSlaughter; 09-07-2009 at 09:31 PM.