Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Glitch Buster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

Default Glitch Buster

What exactly is a glitch buster and is it necessary on my rig? It came with my Savox 1230sg servo when I ordered it from amazon. Do I need it on my rig? I’m running a Traxxas trx-4 Bronco with a Hobbywing 1080 esc. From what I’ve read the glitch buster is just a capacitor for high powered servos. Since I’m running the Servo at the recommended 6 volts is it really necessary? Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbush979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Glitch Buster

Yup, just a capacitor that acts as a temporary power source for when your ESC's BEC gets too much amperage drawn on it. It keeps all of the electronics at full power to prevent brown-outs and glitching. These are mainly used in fast RCs, when the extra demand on power consumption is momentary (i.e.: hard cornering). But, they really do not work that well in crawlers, when your steering gets bound up on a rock the capacitor will discharge quickly causing a brown-out of glitching. This is why an external BEC works best for our niche of the hobby.

That HW ESC puts out 3As, which should be ok with that servo, given that you do not run anything else other than the RX. But, running those three mini servos, along with whatever lights and winch you have on board, I would recommend a 10 BEC.

Last edited by Greatscott; 03-15-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Yup, just a capacitor that acts as a temporary power source for when your ESC's BEC gets too much amperage drawn on it. It keeps all of the electronics at full power to prevent brown-outs and glitching. These are mainly used in fast RCs, when the extra demand on power consumption is momentary (i.e.: hard cornering). But, they really do not work that well in crawlers, when your steering gets bound up on a rock the capacitor will discharge quickly causing a brown-out of glitching. This is why an external BEC works best for our niche of the hobby.

That HW ESC puts out 3As, which should be ok with that servo, given that you do not run anything else other than the RX. But, running those three mini servos, along with whatever lights and winch you have on board, I would recommend a 10 BEC.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Ok so no glitch buster. Also I’m going to need a BEC? And what’s an RX? (Sorry noob)

Bigbush979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbush979 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info! Ok so no glitch buster. Also I’m going to need a BEC? And what’s an RX? (Sorry noob)

Keep asking questions, today's new kid is tomorrow's expert.

TX = Transmitter
RX = Receiver

Yes, I would recommend a BEC. Castle sells a couple versions, I normally get the $20 10A BEC. It is not waterproof, so you need to put it in the RX box, or waterproof it yourself. Castle also has a waterproof version as well, but it is twice the price. The hardest thing about the install is soldering it in, other than that, just follow the diagram it comes with and you'll be in business.

I use conformal coating to waterproof electronics, works great and doesn't need to be reapplied like Corrosion-X does. For the CC BECs I slit the shrink wrap, remove the BEC, dunk it three times in the coating (drying between dunks), then put the shrink wrap back on with a piece of electrical trap, easy-peasy.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The Hobbywing 1080 lists its internal BEC output at 3A. The savox 1230sg has a stall current at 5.3A at 6v. Despite this, my guess is your Hobbywing 1080 would run fine (no brownouts) even without an external BEC as I've read of someone running a Savox 1290sg (stall current 9.2A at 7.4v) on a 1080 without an external BEC and not getting brownouts. That being said your servo would likely have a little more torque if you did run an external BEC.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Glitch Buster - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glitch buster wcdfmt510 Electronics 3 06-11-2018 05:38 PM
glitch buster Zerocool91 Traxxas TRX-4 4 03-04-2018 05:12 AM
When to Use CC BEC vs. Glitch Buster? alexchen86 Electronics 7 05-12-2013 01:32 PM
Glitch Buster Opto-Isolator CoolRC Electronics 7 07-28-2010 10:58 AM
novak glitch buster ohmyCLOD! Electronics 1 12-24-2008 11:32 AM