Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What to Buy - Bully or XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
RCC Addict

I ran a set of rc4wd pro-type machined bully axles for two years, and now with the stronger shafts they are virtually unbreakable. That being said, myself and everyone else I know who had them had a hard time getting a good setup. They are very wide cases limiting shock setup, link setups and clearance issues. The steering isn't even comparable to the xr10. If you insist on getting the bully axles then you need to do yourself a favor an buy the lightweight. The cast version axles are cheap and I have seen a few people break the upper link mount. I have sold my bully and since bought a xr10. I haven't ever once regretted selling the bully, I have attended around 12 comps including crawlapoloosa with the xr and I will say that I did break one rear gear, It wasn't even during a comp and it was still drivable. It lost one tooth on the final gear from doing reverse to forward wheelies. I can't say that they are as strong as bully axles but they are lighter, better thought out, have better clearance, better setup and tuning options and most of all, parts are easy to get and the steering radius is fantastic.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Mostly I see screws that have the holes stripped out and link mounts breaking, have saw some axleshafts and recently a guy had to replace gears, axles and the case.

Durability aside, there's just a lot going on with width, steering, link mounting, weight, parts, etc., that IMO make the XR and Berg platforms far better than bully. Around here a lot of people bought Losi's last year and all have ditched them now, I have saw a lot of people buy Bully's and ditch them, some very quick some after a while. XR is the flavor of the month here right now, but nobody has ditched one yet. The only person I've ever saw with a berg that switched bought a LNC to step down to sportsman (and says he has more fun now). The fact that people sell bully's to buy bergs and XR's, yet I've never saw either of those sold to buy a bully says a lot to me.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
The Bully axles are by far the strongest 2.2 Axles out. Even after the Bergs upgrade what they can. Same goes for the XR10....

I bet the hell out of my 2.2 Bully on 3 and 4 cell for over 13months, Never broke a thing on it. I popped Rodends, but that was it. Very time I would get in a Bind. I'd power out. EVERYTIME..... I stopped taking spare parts and even tools to Comps. Because it was extra crap I got tried of carrying to each and every comp. I ended up never touching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud98r View Post
Bully, Do It right the first time.
That's the truth for sure. I beat the living daylights outta my rig when it's bound up just because I'v learned that with enough throttle, it'll basically throw it self up outta what ever it's stuck in.
I too stopped taking spares and tons of tools. Bully's ARE the toughest axles out there. Take a look at both forums, even Bergs, you see TONS of upgrades being put into the XR10 and bergs because of "issues" with the stock components. The only thing you see being done in the Bully forum is grinding, drilling or dremeling away material. As far as scrub radious goes, the Ti bergs have acually put it into there axles. The Bullys are .750 from pin location to out side, the Ti bergs are .800. It's all in how you use it that matters.
It's your money though, buy what you want.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I think its funny that I havent broke anything. Breakage on the XR is do to builder error. Imo. Another thing is that you can get them to perform super well at a lighter wieght. The only thing that is going to make the difference is what you crawl on. I set mine up at first the way everbody told me to. I crawled it and was so pissed. Everyone I was taking pointers from were crawling different rocks, different climate, and so on. Take a good look around your area. Are you crawling river rock? Are you crawling granite? And so on.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

I was in the same position a few months ago and went XR10.I really wasn't liking all those plastic parts, all that plastic made it feel very fragile. Plastic wheels, plastic knuckles, plastic shock caps, plastic gear cases, plastic axle housings, plastic links, plastic pinions, and miniature bearings. Oh wait, there are upgrades to all those parts, pfft... they come stock in a Bully. When it came time to drive it, i really wasn't having fun because I had the constant fear in the back of my head "man I hope I don't break anything" and instead of beating it up, I was waiting for the "clicking sound". I'm sure xr10 owners can attest to that.
I've since dumped it and moved on to Bully and I'm very happy with my new rig. The only plastic parts on my Bully is rod ends and dust cover. I like the axle design way more than the xr10. Changing motors is a breeze, just remove the dust cover. And if I want to check my STOCK beefy gears just remove 5 screws and I have access to them. And no motor plates here, gears go straight into the cases. I love the metal feel and these things just feel TOUGH. I set out to prove it, I bound it up really bad several times on a test course and it somehow powered itself out of everything. Im talking really bad-full throttle-in a bind- bad. Amazing....now THAT was fun. My Xr10 wouldve said "click click click click click click......*done*. My Bully says "pfft, that was it?" You wanted an unbiased opinion, well I gave you some facts. And with the XR, be ready to spend way more than the cost of the kit to upgrade all that plastic crap.
These days, I like checking the xr10 section for a good laugh. Oops, I mean "VP10" section.

Last edited by Serolf; 02-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Serolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud98r View Post
Bully, Do It right the first time.

I bought a pair of Bully axles, and talk about frickin heavy. So I bought a XR10. If cost is the issue. It's gonna be about the same cost by the time yer done. I've seen great crawling with both of tem. A light bully crawler seems to be 7 lbs. and a box stock complete with motors and servo is in the 5 lb range. I like the fact you can adjust caster on the XR10. I like the "round" ends on the axles so it makes the axles look almost one peice. Is there any reason you didn't include the BERG? The Bully axles are just in deep "stan by" for now didnt ditch the idea.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I asked myself this same question, seeing as the Bully was the same cost(roughly) as the XR10, but was fully loaded. However, you need to ask yourself are you wanting to be serious about crawling in competition or just wanting to have a good time bashing around, also ask in the future if I do like this will I want to take it to the next level and compete with this crawler.

For my I have very little experience in crawling, but I have a huge background in Radio Controlled so the decision came down to all the reviews I could find and asking a ton of questions, everything lead me to see that the XR10 was the way to go hands down. Axial has a great name in the crawling industry and a huge customer service background. Not taking anything away from the company that makes the Bully.
Also with the XR10 you have the downfalls to subpar parts (mainly in the transmission) but after I received my XR10 kit, I can sa hands down from one newer guy to another...which ever way you go, my opinion is go with the XR10. I did and I will be enjoying this for many crawls. Now you will see that the Bully has all the aluminium stuff in the kit already, but if you are wanting to only upgrade a few things...just start with the transmission gears and you will have a good kit. As for the Bully, I dont see what all you would need to upgrade but in my experience if its cheapest on the market..its for a reason.

So dont let too many people sway your decision, pick what you want and just have fun with it either way.

My thoughts in summary

Competitive = XR10
Bashing = Bully
Darth Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
RCC Addict

So dont let too many people sway your decision, pick what you want and just have fun with it either way.

Bashing = Bully[/QUOTE]
x2, reasearch then buy,its your cash make up your own mind
good kuck
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote