Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What to Buy - Bully or XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Default What to Buy - Bully or XR10

Hi All,

At the moment I have a RC4WD Diablo and I am just about to buy a MOA Rig.

I have mentioned two models above, but I am really at a loss as to which one to buy. The Bully comes complete with metal everything, and if it is built as well as my Diablo it will be OK. I know that people have still carried out mods on this model.

The XR10 the new boy, most of my UK friends have got a XR10, but saying that most of them or not as standard as the day they were bought. I have looked at most of the upgrades that you can buy and these can cost twice as much as the original model.

What I want is something that I can buy straight out the box and be able to compete and finish a comp course, I know that I am not going to win first time out, but as long as it is capabile of completeing a course.

I know that I am going to get a hundred replies on this subject all by well meaning people, but I bet these will be people who own the model that they are prasing.

As anyone got a non bias thoughts on these two models.

Cheers,

Fred
fred kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The XR10 is light, axles are stremline, chassis tuning is great, wheels are tunable(wieght wise), and the VP stuff you can get it turn it in to a beast. As for the bully dont know. Going tonight to crawl with a guy that has a modified bully, we will be setting up gates and putting them head to head. One thing to remember is that my XR and his bully are not going to be the same in shocks, shockwieght, spings, electronics, tires, wheel wieght, and so on.Try to compare it to every other XR and bully is hard. Everyone has their own setup and tuning differences. I will tell you XR, but I'm an Axial guy.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Have one of each both great both need upgrades to make them perform for comp worthy action tough choice.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
The XR10 is light, axles are stremline, chassis tuning is great, wheels are tunable(wieght wise), and the VP stuff you can get it turn it in to a beast. As for the bully dont know. Going tonight to crawl with a guy that has a modified bully, we will be setting up gates and putting them head to head. One thing to remember is that my XR and his bully are not going to be the same in shocks, shockwieght, spings, electronics, tires, wheel wieght, and so on.Try to compare it to every other XR and bully is hard. Everyone has their own setup and tuning differences. I will tell you XR, but I'm an Axial guy.

Please let you friend post his thoughts on his Bully. Where I live there are no crawlers, except for a few RC4WD Diablo's. It has not took off here yet. I am trying to get a small group/club going in my local area.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
I'm a stupid C U N T!

XR10 is a sweet machine with lots of intelligence put into it, and with great product support. I doubt that many if any LHS's carry Stock/upgrade parts for a bully, where as any LHS that has any inclination for crawling should have XR10 parts and upgrades in stock and you don't have to deal with rc4wd
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll try to get video tonite of us practicing.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Xr all the way, It does need some upgrades but for the same money i think its lot better truck. Also you will have long term support on it. Rc4wd are a great company but when they stop carrying a product you are dead in the water.
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaugman View Post
Xr all the way, It does need some upgrades but for the same money i think its lot better truck. Also you will have long term support on it. Rc4wd are a great company but when they stop carrying a product you are dead in the water.
X2, couldnt say it any better.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

You know my thoughts on this Fred....product support in the uk is next to none for both rigs (as with my Berg)....I have the XR and a Berg and have seen that both rigs are more than capeable when tuned and modded....only time will tell if the XR is realy up to the job ...me im sticking with the trusty Berg and deal more with these guys for parts (just wait a few weeks )
Sorry i carnt be more help to you but with both rigs you will be buying from oversea's
MUD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

You can set them both up to perform great. But you said you want to finish courses so i would go with the Bully. The XR takes a lot of money to make it reliable and it is still not even close to as reliable as the bully. If you have the money to have more than one comp rig i think an XR is a great second rig. The last comp i was at 4 of the 5 XR's broke.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

Thanks for the post so far. After a long think and looking at parts availability, it is looking more like a XR10.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The guy I ran with tonite loves the XR. His bully had 6inch rovers, well he told me he has an XR kit at home and after seeing mine run he is going XR. I hope that helps you. He has had the bully as his go to rig for 2 years now. It all end with the XR
Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

the most important factor is the driver how well you know your vehicle. with that being said both are very good, i personally have a bully and have beaten the snot out of it for over 2 years and have never broken. to win you first must finish. to finish you will spend alot of $$$$ on a xr.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Hmmm maybe Im not hard enough on my xr10 , Ive got about 40 batterys through it only broke it twice
Realy like xr but Ive been proven to its more the driver than the car that wins comps
vistavega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There is one huge downfall to the bully axles, scrub radius. Just about every other issue with them has an easy fix, but there is no fixing the huge scrub radius on them, and for that I say xr10
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr View Post
There is one huge downfall to the bully axles, scrub radius. Just about every other issue with them has an easy fix, but there is no fixing the huge scrub radius on them, and for that I say xr10
WHatever you suck lol!!! He is right about the scrub but if you want a crawler that wont break everyother time you take it out get the bully... If I could do it all over I would build my XR with all the upgraded parts and not the kit.. VP everything, HR gears, And whatever chassis of your liking... Not much of the stock kit is very good...
losichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I don't buy the bully being unbreakable crap, they never impressed me anyways and I see them break every comp. The only part on the bully worth a crap is the too narrow axles, the rest is throw away. At least with the XR the frame, shocks etc. work. A stock XR with the trans bearings upgraded and nothing else will finish courses and put you in the top five if you can drive, you have to change everything on the bully but the axles to do that.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavega View Post
Hmmm maybe Im not hard enough on my xr10 , Ive got about 40 batterys through it only broke it twice
My favorite post in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
I don't buy the bully being unbreakable crap, they never impressed me anyways and I see them break every comp. The only part on the bully worth a crap is the too narrow axles, the rest is throw away. At least with the XR the frame, shocks etc. work. A stock XR with the trans bearings upgraded and nothing else will finish courses and put you in the top five if you can drive, you have to change everything on the bully but the axles to do that.
Where do you comp that all of these Bully axles "break every comp"? And what is breaking? Since the XR's came out i have seen at least one break at every comp i have been to. All were gear/bearing related, some had VP cases, some stock and some with VP bushing kits. There are not a lot of guys running Bully axles around here, only about four, but i have never seen one break. I broke mine once but it was my fault. One of the first runs of the V6 front shafts had weak pins and i just ran them anyway and one broke. I replaced it and have never had a problem since. I've put 4 to 5 batts through mine a week for the last 6 or so months.

Last edited by stubs179; 01-08-2011 at 08:58 AM.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The Bully axles are by far the strongest 2.2 Axles out. Even after the Bergs upgrade what they can. Same goes for the XR10....

I bet the hell out of my 2.2 Bully on 3 and 4 cell for over 13months, Never broke a thing on it. I popped Rodends, but that was it. Very time I would get in a Bind. I'd power out. EVERYTIME..... I stopped taking spare parts and even tools to Comps. Because it was extra crap I got tried of carrying to each and every comp. I ended up never touching.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Bully, Do It right the first time.
lud98r is offline   Reply With Quote