Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: help!-- Torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question help!-- Torque twist

when im climbing up a steep incline i get a really bad torque twist and my rig simply rolls over backwards,, ive weighted the front wheels- running 4oz in each, my electrics have all been moved lower-including battery,

would increasing weight in right front wheel(the one that lifts up when climbing) help?
i know people put lower links closer to centre of skid plate, would this help?.
i run a 70t brushed motor, twin vertical plate chassis, i can post up some pictures of rig if that helps.

Any help would be great!!
Tom94offroaduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Suck it up!

There are gobs of threads around here concerning TT. Fire up the search button and get to work!

Ignore the ones telling you to put a big heavy spring and shock oil in the left rear shock though...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
There are gobs of threads around here concerning TT. Fire up the search button and get to work!

Ignore the ones telling you to put a big heavy spring and shock oil in the left rear shock though...
thanks man,, well thats why i asked the question coz im always being told to put a stronger spring on and oil,,
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yup, there are all kinds of threads on TT in the AX10 forum. One of the best things you can do is switch from 3-link to 4-link. What worked for me is running heavy preload in the rear, limiting the shocks with about 0.5" of fuel tubing, 50wt in three shocks and 90wt in the shock of the wheel that is lifting.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

You can also Mirror the tranny and get underdrive gears for the rear axle.. It helped my tame my TT
GEOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

def 4 link, trans flip, and underdrive i wish the underdrive gears wouldve been available when i was runnin shaftys dont mess with your rear shock thats just crazy its gonna make your rig drive all stupid on the rocks
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Have you tried to preload the right front? Also on mine I did preload the left rear, and took out all of the shock oil. It's ran great so far like that I don't know how many people would agree with me on this but it worked for me. I agree with the guys above. 4 link ( when you do so spread the links out away from each other and either connect them in the 2nd or 3rd hole, also put one on the top of the plate and one underneath), I added a little more weight to the right front too, and yes I was a fool and tried the heavier shock oil and no it really does not work, trans flip help. Main thing that helped was preloading the right front and left rear for me.
newtocrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocrawling View Post
Have you tried to preload the right front? Also on mine I did preload the left rear, and took out all of the shock oil. It's ran great so far like that I don't know how many people would agree with me on this but it worked for me. I agree with the guys above. 4 link ( when you do so spread the links out away from each other and either connect them in the 2nd or 3rd hole, also put one on the top of the plate and one underneath), I added a little more weight to the right front too, and yes I was a fool and tried the heavier shock oil and no it really does not work, trans flip help. Main thing that helped was preloading the right front and left rear for me.
Thanks for the info
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

you should try something like a 55t or a 45t rather than that 70t itll help a ton, i had an 85t that i swapped out for a 55t and it made a huge difference, so the 85t just sits there now
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Suck it up!

How does a motor help torque twist?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion ax-10 View Post
you should try something like a 55t or a 45t rather than that 70t itll help a ton, i had an 85t that i swapped out for a 55t and it made a huge difference, so the 85t just sits there now
ahhh, i see ur point, less torque= less twist, i'll have a look into that
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom94offroaduk View Post
ahhh, i see ur point, less torque= less twist, i'll have a look into that
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Question

Quote:
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Suck it up!

A different motor will not fix your problem. That was, by far, one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.

That was like asking how to fix a vibration in your car when you hit a certain speed, and someone telling you that the answer is to not go that fast.

I know you guys are new and just getting started on working these things out, but please, please, please use a little common sense and for the love of all that is good and holy, read up a little before you ask questions, and if you don't have a good answer, don't give it.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 02-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs down

Quote:
A different motor will not fix your problem. That was, by far, one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.

That was like asking how to fix a vibration in your car when you hit a certain speed, and someone telling you that the answer is to not go that fast.

I know you guys are new and just getting started on working these things out, but please, please, please use a little common sense and for the love of all that is good and holy, read up a little before you ask questions, and if you don't have a good answer, don't give it.

that why it's in the FUC**N newbe section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom94offroaduk View Post
that why it's in the FUC**N newbe section!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand that. I'm trying to be helpful and prevent bad information from being spread further.

I'm not directing any ill will towards you at all.

TT is not fixed by shock oil, preloading, weights, or transmission flipping, nor by swapping motors . All that any of those items do is to slow down or mask the twisting motion. They are not fixes, they are bandaids, and most will result in a poorly handling, unbalanced rig.

Proper link geometry, proper chassis setup, and time spent tuning is how TT is resolved. Most people won't offer you that advice because they don't want to take the time to research the information and do it properly. They want the easy way out. They will even claim that "it does everything I want it to", which is fine, but they may not be asking much of their rigs. They probably have never been to or placed well in a competition.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Red face

Quote:
I understand that. I'm trying to be helpful and prevent bad information from being spread further.

I'm not directing any ill will towards you at all.

TT is not fixed by shock oil, preloading, weights, or transmission flipping, nor by swapping motors . All that any of those items do is to slow down or mask the twisting motion. They are not fixes, they are bandaids, and most will result in a poorly handling, unbalanced rig.

Proper link geometry, proper chassis setup, and time spent tuning is how TT is resolved. Most people won't offer you that advice because they don't want to take the time to research the information and do it properly. They want the easy way out. They will even claim that "it does everything I want it to", which is fine, but they may not be asking much of their rigs. They probably have never been to or placed well in a competition.
no offence taken my freind,,
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Suck it up!

So, did anyone find any useful TT info?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

in the end ive put loads more weight in my front wheels, this seems to have helped loads but i'll take the other advice on board.

Tags
torque twist