Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb with a SCX10 Ford Raptor body 2.2s...Trailer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Newb with a SCX10 Ford Raptor body 2.2s...Trailer?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and rc builds but I recently built an SCX10 Honcho kit and put a Ford Raptor body on it with 2.2 TSL/SX Super Swampers. Ive got this rig going the direction I want it without any real problems (besides my wallet of course). But I am visioning it pulling a nice trailer with an upcoming Wraith build on it? Any ideas on the trailer? I did search and saw a forum with some trailers but not much that really appealed to me...how does one go about getting parts machined?
JohanVonWolfhousen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
www.ottsix.com

Default Re: Newb with a SCX10 Ford Raptor body 2.2s...Trailer?

What sort of machining are you talking about? What materials are you wanting to work with?
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

To be honest, I'm not really sure...I guess I'd like the frame to be alluminum or something of close to equal strength? I'm new to this whole rc fab thing. I can weld alluminum and steel but I'm not sure where to get the small materials to even begin working with at this point?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

umm.... well.... you could use aluminum angle iron or alum square tube.
its pretty hard to help you out if you dont know what you want. i say, find a material you want to work with (aluminum. steel etc) and figure out how long you want it cut all your ends at 45* and weld them together... bingo there's your frame. find a set of wheels and tires that you like (people use some from on-road cars, offroad cars, crawler tires etc) then figure out how fancy you want to get with the axle(s) and if you want suspension or not. since i didnt care i went with a single axle no suspension trailer.. mine is 11" wide and 18" long. its a little out of proportion but i can fit an ax10 with 15mm wheel wideners on it no problem.

once the trailer itself is built either build or buy a hitch for your rig.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

most trailers i've seen are brazed or welded steel. did you have any style in mind? do a google image search and post the pics here so we can give you ideas on how to go about building it.
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
www.ottsix.com

You local Home Depot should have a good selection of aluminum and other metals in angle, bar, rod, tube, etc etc. Just think something up and "just do it" If you can get good welds on aluminum, to me, that's the way to go.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
You local Home Depot should have a good selection of aluminum and other metals in angle, bar, rod, tube, etc etc. Just think something up and "just do it" If you can get good welds on aluminum, to me, that's the way to go.
Thanks this is helpful, wasn't sure where to go about getting supplies.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
most trailers i've seen are brazed or welded steel. did you have any style in mind? do a google image search and post the pics here so we can give you ideas on how to go about building it.
To be honest one I've seen on youtube...rcsparks or something? is the one I like the best but I am not looking to snipe his look. I was thinking something with that type of flat bed and beaver tail ramp but I was going to stick with my stock SCX10 1.9 flat irons so I thought my trailer would have a bit more of a goose neck type tounge (but not tall enough to go into my trucks bed, therefore the overall length of the trailer will be longer) to get it up high enough to look decent with my SCX10 on 2.2s. I would also like to put a tool box type look/spare 1.9 for the trailer up by the tounge. Not sure how to post pics? lol I made up some cheesy drawings in paint to give the idea of what I am talking about...
Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

put your pics into a photobucket account, then copy the IMG code of the pic and paste it into the reply text box in your post.

my honcho is on 2.2's also and i just did some measuring because i was curious.. with a set of 2.2 hammers to the top of the bed is 6" so you make it 8" from the ground to top of tongue. then make the tongue 5"- 6" long before it drops on the trailer deck. course if i made those same measurement with my 2.2 TSL's on i'd have to add about 1/2" to all my measurements because they are a taller tire. this is assuming your going with a 5th wheel style hitch.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanVonWolfhousen View Post
Thanks this is helpful, wasn't sure where to go about getting supplies.
You could also try McMaster-Carr, they are an industrial supply house. Home Depot/Lowes etc. will have "cheap" aluminum. An industrial supply house can provide 6061 Aluminum, etc.
You can also look for the on-line "Thomas Register" which lists industrial places. One section will be for materials broken up by what it is (steel suppliers, aluminum suppliers, etc.)

Then, look at scale or full size trailers and find one that looks good for you. Get out some paper and draw it out full size (actually, full size for 1/10th scale).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
www.ottsix.com

The best way to post photos is to buy a star...set up an album and link directly from it to your posts. You can get a star for a year for only $20... aka: pocket change.

I don't know what sort of aluminum they sell at Home Depot, but it works fine for me...never had a problem with it
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #12

i went to the local tractor supply,and picked up everything i nedded for around 50 bucks (expanded metal,angle peaces square tube etc......and in about 3 hour had a trailor minus the axcles
78BIGFOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #13

The slurpee straws from 7 11 work good the alum ones just put 2 bearings in the ends and use some small all tread and there is ur axle just a thought
EaSt_VeRnAl_CrAwLeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb with a SCX10 Ford Raptor body 2.2s...Trailer? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Raptor Scx10 from Alaska AKbash57 Axial SCX-10 34 07-24-2013 05:34 AM
Ford Raptor body at Target 4ONDFLR General Scale Talk 13 10-26-2011 05:51 AM
Which JConcepts Ford Raptor SVT Body for SCX10? Chachi_RC Paint and Body 19 06-14-2011 11:04 AM