Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: wraith or scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Default wraith or scx10

i have a hpi crawler king with a few upgrades, servo relocated, high clearence bars, gear reduction kit but wanting something new I am looking at a scx10 honcho or wraith just not sure what is a better choice. I like to do trail runs plus a little rock crawling at the quarry. thoughts?
kingcbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: wraith or scx10

Either one would be a good option, both seem to be solid for bashing around, trail running, and some crawling.

At this point it will be personal preference. I suggest that you watch some videos of both on youtube and see what suits you better.

There are a lot of SCX-10's and Wraith's in the for sale section on here all the time. You can usually get a very good deal on a used rig with some upgrades if you are willing to wait for the right one to come up.

You will have to check out the rules and either get your posts and time up to be able to access the classifieds or buy yourself a start for $20 to get instant access. Well worth it!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

thanks i have been watching youtube videos for about 2 weeks now. I am leaning more turns a scx10 honcho because of the different options on body choose but then i will see a sick wraith.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Between my son and I we have both. I'm leaning towards the SCX10. Lots of body options, good trail speed with a 35T.

Don'tr get me wrong, the Wraith is fun but out of the box rolls in turns pretty easy. I've lowered it a bit and put wider wheels on it. Have some sway bars on order so we'll see.

Both are a lot of fun but if I were to get another Axial it'd be a SCX10.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Fast Eddy has build videos on both the SCX10 and Wraith. Seeing how they are put together may help out figure out which one you like best. Both are great choices. They are popular so if you don't like the one you pick you can always sell it.

If you like it, you will probably end up with both anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

my scx10 with mmp and 18.5t brushless is pretty fast, and has a ton of torque. with the sensored motor the low speed control is actually very good! it's a blast to drive when i can pry the controller away from my 9 year old daughter!!!!

It's daddy's turn dangit!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have both, and I think I like the SCX more. I dig the whole "scale" deal, which the Wraith really isn't. Also, I have a small rock course in my yard, and I think most people would be surprised at how well the SCX can keep up with the Wraith in terms of crawling ability.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

Out of the box usability I think you'd be happier with the scx-10.

The Wraith will spend more time broken and waiting for parts for the first few weeks until you get some much needed upgrades on weak parts. Not too mention the time you will be spending putting it back upright on it's wheels.

I own both.... Each serve their purposes, but I have lost count to how many scx-10's I actually have... And certainly know the single Wraith I own is my first and last.

Some people love the Wraith..... I guess I can't say I am one.
But.......just my $.02.... There is still a whole other $.98 worth out there to get opinions from
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Go to a crawl spot in your area watch, and ask some questions. That is what i did and in the end i bought a wraith. Changed to a 35 turn motor 87 spur and a 17t pinion and it crawls great and nice speed. Also made a cheap all thread steering.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I do a lot of trail running and a little rock crawling with my scx-10's and my Wraith... They will both accomplish what you want to do, just with different levels of performance and looks... The Wraith is more stable with the wide axles and is more clearance with the 2.2 tires. The scx is smaller and with 1.9's it makes easier terrain more challenging...

It's really personal preference I think. I love both platforms and recommend both every chance I get. Whatever you decide, go with the KIT.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

jus why go with kit over rtr
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Building the truck is half the fun. You learn how it goes together and understand the truck fully so when it breaks or needs an upgrade you know exactly what to do.

You know it was put together right and have no one to blame but yourself if it falls apart or malfunctions. You choose the electronics right off the bat instead of replacing everything down the road because it wasn't good enough or just didn't work for you.

I'm not upto date with the new scx kits but the Wraith kit has the front universals which are excellent compared to the RTR dogbones and it has the R35 Ripsaw tires which are very good tires.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #13

If i buy a scx10 kit how much more in electric will i prob spend if I go brushed
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcbell View Post
If i buy a scx10 kit how much more in electric will i prob spend if I go brushed
Its hard to say, you can go expensive or you can go cheap.

I would recommend the following:

ESC-Castle Sidewinder V2 or SCT-You can find these on ebay for ~50 brand new

Radio-Hacked GT3B radio-If you are comfortable doing it yourself you can save a couple bucks but you can buy it hacked for $50 Products - OverkillRC

Motor-You have many choices for cheap motors I like Integy V12 35t-$35

Servo-There are lots of options, for a budget servo this seems like a good buy Solar Servo D772-$23 Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear

You may need to add a BEC, I would recomend it-Castle 10amp BEC $20

So total it would be around $200, some things you can get at the same place to save a bit on shipping so keep that in mind when you place orders. Also keep in mind that all of this stuff would be better than the stuff included with the RTR's, in some cases much much better. That was more of a budget setup but you could save even more money if you find some used stuff on here or Ebay/Craigslist. To get access to the classifieds you will either need to look up the requirements (certain number of posts (must be worthwhile) and certain amount of time as a member) or you can pay $20 to support the site. If you buy a star you also get to get in on all the great giveaways that our vendors put on and you get a cool picture next to your name!

The only other thing you will need is batteries and a charger, I dont think the RTR's come with these either. You have some options here, most run Lipo batteries but do some reading on here and see if you are up to it. They need to be taken care of otherwise they may burst into flames, most never have this happen to them but it does happen. I would budget $75-$100 for a few batteries and a decent charger.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

You just gotta do what works for you.
A KIT will give you several upgraded parts.
My first rig was to go with a RTR then tear it apart and rebuild it better.

Taking it apart really helps you understand it all, and the stock electronics are not bad for a while.

As for which rig, I vote SCX-10 if you're gonna go slow-med speed, but Wraith if you're gonna go med-fast.
The wider axles will help handling at higher speeds...
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote

wraith or scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Transmission Into SCX10? NFA Fabrication Axial SCX-10 5 12-08-2013 10:30 AM
SCX10 based Wraith calikrawler Axial SCX-10 8 12-11-2011 08:43 AM
scx10 with wraith axles! c0bra Axial SCX-10 0 09-11-2011 09:45 PM
Wraith axles on scx10? Help rilynsdad Axial Wraith 6 09-10-2011 08:30 PM
Wraith axles on scx10? Help rilynsdad Chit Chat 2 09-08-2011 08:28 PM