Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wraith steering linkage problems...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Default Wraith steering linkage problems...

I got my whole car put together and was giving it a bit of a test run around my house when I noticed that it was not driving straight when I would go forward, it was curving a little to either side ( with no preference to either side, just randomly). I have looked over the whole car and it is definitely put together right...the conclusion that I have come to is that the steering linkage seems to be just a tad too short. I took the wheels off and looks at the tips of the CVD drive shaft that stick out past the c hubs and when one is straight the other is tilted just a bit. I am wondering if anybody can help me with this problem. Could it be the steering linkage, or is it something else?
Jew1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith steering linkage problems...

The steering tie rod (which connects one knuckle to the other) is either too long (tires point out), or too short (tiers point in).

You could disconnect one end of the tie rod and screw it in or out to make the tires parallel. The best choice (if making the tie rod longer) is to add spacers on the end of the rod so it's solid.

If the rig is wandering, make sure everything is tight (screws/bolts) holding the steering together. Use the TX steering trim to make minor "straight ahead" steering adjustments.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

The stock wraith tie-rod is one piece with the rod ends built in. You will want to upgrade it anyway. The stock one just bends instead of turning when its bound up.
chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jew1028 View Post
I got my whole car put together and was giving it a bit of a test run around my house when I noticed that it was not driving straight when I would go forward, it was curving a little to either side ( with no preference to either side, just randomly). I have looked over the whole car and it is definitely put together right...the conclusion that I have come to is that the steering linkage seems to be just a tad too short. I took the wheels off and looks at the tips of the CVD drive shaft that stick out past the c hubs and when one is straight the other is tilted just a bit. I am wondering if anybody can help me with this problem. Could it be the steering linkage, or is it something else?
If you take the drag link off of the tie-rod you can tell if the issue is related to tie-rod related or if it is drag link or servo arm related. Based on that info you can then look at each of the parts until you find the issue.

To really fix it I would upgrade to a metal tie rod and a metal servo arm. I used the Chaotic Crawlers Axial Wraith Titanium Steering Tierod Set and Axial Racing Servo arm. This setup took out all of the flex and allowed me to properly adjust the toe-in.

Here is what my front axle looked like after the upgrades:
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #5

my sons wraith needs those links. we took our trucks out today and i could see the tie rod bend under load. i will pass this along.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Here's another option....R2j Kustoms Steering kit. 3/16" 304 stainless with Revo ends.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #7

cool he just went to bed but i will show him these also. he needs new ones for sure. the stock ones flex way to much.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hey jew look I dont no if u done it all ready but I have a 3 raceing link on mine, ats alloy and its pretty tuff. 10 or so on ebay. Also if u up grade this please if u dont use a servo saver use the short black plastic link thatn came stok. Its tuff but still flex wen needed. If u dont but im sorry I run a hi tech servo and its its 23kgs of torqe and it didnt burn out it got flogged out. Bearing went to peices and wore out the top cap. I now have a hobby king 19kg servo with the stock short link and have tried to do it agian and its tight and straight still. If I didnt buy the servo and went stok servo I still think it would av done ok too instrad of floggn out bearing on it too
Hope it helps man

Sent from my U20a using Tapatalk
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyblue View Post
Hey jew look I dont no if u done it all ready but I have a 3 raceing link on mine, ats alloy and its pretty tuff. 10 or so on ebay. Also if u up grade this please if u dont use a servo saver use the short black plastic link thatn came stok. Its tuff but still flex wen needed. If u dont but im sorry I run a hi tech servo and its its 23kgs of torqe and it didnt burn out it got flogged out. Bearing went to peices and wore out the top cap. I now have a hobby king 19kg servo with the stock short link and have tried to do it agian and its tight and straight still. If I didnt buy the servo and went stok servo I still think it would av done ok too instrad of floggn out bearing on it too
Hope it helps man

Sent from my U20a using Tapatalk
Huh??...tough to read your post, sorry.

I think I get your drift, "keep a stock plastic part to prevent wearing out the servo bearings" (is this correct?)

My first question is, did you set the steering EPA's? Trying to overdrive the servo after it has hit a mechanical bind is a fast way to kill servos.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

has anyone used the suicide steering from ckrc? i looked at it last night and it looked pretty cool
hunterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Hey man, sorry bout the mess up in the spelling an such on my last reply. Dam phone.wasnt worth a crap.

Ok. Yes your write. If you keep the stock short link, it will give enuf to save the servo a bit.
My 3racing lnk is gona go in the bin soon lol. It just bends way to easy. So im thinking of makeing my own. Good luck buddy anyway.

sent to you while re inventing the wheel.
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Check for play at the servo. A little play there will be amplified at the knuckles. If that checks out and it is assembled correctly then it might be the junk plastic tie rod flexing. I put the Vanquish tie rod and drag link on mine and it works just fine. There are cheaper options available.
AR Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, steering linkage, wraith

Wraith steering linkage problems... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering linkage Goatsniper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 01-24-2011 11:52 AM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
steering linkage sector9 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 05-08-2009 11:38 AM
Steering Linkage dano104 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 10-29-2008 06:07 PM