Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Battery forward question (weight) - Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Battery forward question (weight) - Wraith

I have read a lot of threads about the advantages of moving the battery to the front of my Wraith. The main advantage is to distribute weight to the front end. I also seen a post that someone (sorry, can't remember who posted it to give them credit) mentioned leaving the battery in the rear (stock location), and adding a bit of "counter weight" to the front to offset the battery in the rear.

What would the advantages / disadvantages of leaving the battery in the rear and adding some weight to the front (other than the obvious of adding weight)?

If it's a bad idea and I should just move the battery to the front, let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the input.
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Battery forward question (weight) - Wraith

Move the battery to the front - trust me - you will need weight up front. IF you are only trailing - not a big deal - either way will work - but for any crawling - you want weight on the front. If you leave battery in back and just add weight (I presume you mean some kind of lead weight) up front - you are simply adding more DEAD weight to the total vehicle and not getting anything out of it.

If you move it up front - do the hood hinge mod so you can change battery easily.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

moving the battery up front helps weight distribution. if you just added weight to the front to counteract the battery you would be adding quite a bit. think if the battery weighs 5 ounces, you would need to add that PLUS another 5 ounces to get the same distribution as just moving the battery. now 10 ounces of extra weight will make the truck slower (moving more weight) make motors run hotter (trying to move all that weight), make suspension tuning different, and on and on.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Exactly what I needed to know! Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I will be purchasing the Crawler Innovations electronics tray for the front.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

I made a tray for the front and left the one in the back. I moved the esc forward and put the receiver box on the floor on the passenger side. This kept the most forward I could and lets me run the battery either place and compare. Front is way better for getting over logs and general crawling. If you are going to crawl put a lighter smaller battery and it won't be as top heavy. I only put a big battery in if I'm trailing.
leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

That's a good idea leather!!! Maybe I will do something like that. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

No prob, got my wraith just to experiment with. You can get some major run times by running dual 2s batteries with a parallel connector also, truck is heavy gut for trailing you can go for a serious hike and never have to carry it out or change batteries. Unless you break something, which I've never done. ;)
leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

What's a good size for a trail and Crawler I've moved My esc to the back to make some room now I need to find a battery to fit
JeffB1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I moved my esc to the cab between the seats and I'm able to fit a 6 cell nimh in that place. I also fit a 2s 2000 between the shock towers if I need to. I hinged the hood and this is a must for batteries up front.
gottwins? is offline   Reply With Quote

Battery forward question (weight) - Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak Wraith edition battery compatibility question? Soulo747 Axial Wraith 2 02-13-2012 10:17 AM
Self Made Forward Battery Tray revo au Axial Wraith 0 10-28-2011 03:36 AM
Battery Forward Options? Double D Axial Wraith 10 09-25-2011 05:55 PM
Getting the battery forward. Mic EnRoute Berg 4 06-13-2008 02:24 AM