Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Maxstone 10 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Maxstone 10 help

I just got an account. Before i was lurking on the forums forever. So I am getting my first crawler, a maxstone 10. I know it is not the best but I am thinking of build ideas. Since i am getting it for my birthday we kind of has an unwritten budget rule. I would say about $250-$300. It is not very much but it is a good start.
Some things on my list right now are as listed. I will also say the price, total and link if possible

max10 $125 1/10th Scale 2.4Ghz Exceed RC MaxStone 4WD Powerful Electric Remote Control Rock Crawler 100% RTR
f250 ford body $30 shipped Amazon.com: 2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Body, Clear: Revo 3.3,MGT: Toys & Games
black hobby paint $5
battery+charger $57 shipped Amazon.com: Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for Nimh: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: 7.2V Tenergy 3800mAh Flat NiMH High Power (38A Drain Rate) Battery Pack with Tamiya connector for RC Cars and Sumo Robots: Toys & Games

plasti dip $10 anywhere
connecters {deans like} Amazon.com: Nylon T-Connectors - 10 Pairs (10 Male + 10 Female): Toys & Games
marine grease $10 amazon
35t motor hpi $15 Amazon.com: Saturn Motor Set: Brama 10b: Toys & Games
That brings the total to $276
Also if you have any ideas about what else i should get just shoot.

crawlerbeast
crawlerbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Maxstone 10 help

Dude, I would honestly say ditch the maxstone. They suck, its that simple. Just get a star here for 20$ and then look in the classifieds and you can pick up a pretty decent crawler in your price range.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Dude, I would honestly say ditch the maxstone. They suck, its that simple. Just get a star here for 20$ and then look in the classifieds and you can pick up a pretty decent crawler in your price range.
Thank you for the information. What do you think I should look for and what price?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Well, if you get your star and just look in the classifieds you'll find all sorts of rigs that could fit into your price range! Most of them being ax10 based so you have a bunch of aftermarket support.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Well, if you get your star and just look in the classifieds you'll find all sorts of rigs that could fit into your price range! Most of them being ax10 based so you have a bunch of aftermarket support.
I think I might just earn the star. I have read up on it and it is to my understanding that you only need 30 posts and 30 days On the forum.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thats true, but another benefit to having a star is that you can enter all of rcc's awesome vendor giveaways! You don't earn the star though, you just gain access to the classifieds Another benefit is less time between searches as well
Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
RCC Addict

For $20-30 more you could get an XR10 which is pretty good out of the box or find a good deal on one in the for sale section. Plus if you really get into rock crawling it can grow with you.

I would also suggest looking into lipo instead of nimh. There's not much difference in price but performance is a lot better.

I think you could hit you budget mark easy and be a lot further ahead with a little more research.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
For $20-30 more you could get an XR10 which is pretty good out of the box or find a good deal on one in the for sale section. Plus if you really get into rock crawling it can grow with you.

I would also suggest looking into lipo instead of nimh. There's not much difference in price but performance is a lot better.

I think you could hit you budget mark easy and be a lot further ahead with a little more research.
But it is not rtr and extra parts to make it run esc,rx,tx,motor,etc would be to much
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

here's the deal, find what you want be it a kit or an rtr. then figure out what it's gonna cost you to buy the things to finish the kit (like esc,motor,radio) or price of rtr. the double that price!

an example, IF you buy a maxstone ($150), within the first month you will most likely want to upgrade the wheels/tires, the motor will most likely crap out, the servo will not be up to standards so need replaced..... this is things that just happen. i didn't allow for breakage and such.

these things are not cheap, they break, things go wrong. it's very addictive and there is nothing worse than going out and not being able to climb things you think you should be able to do. that's when the upgrading starts!!

now every rtr is the same in these aspects even axial rtr's!! the axial is better quality, BUT being an rtr it will come with some cheap parts that will need to be replaced. the biggest thing is the name brands (Axial, Losi, even Redcat) have replacement parts that are fairly easy to come by.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you really want a scaler not a "comp" rig so I would look more in that direction. Check out the Axial SCX-10's, they are going for like 350 ready to run you will be much happier if you get what you actually want. The stock electronics on it are of decent quality (you will want another servo at some point) and if you are a half way decent driver and run the slipper a little loose you should be good to go for a while without needing replacement parts.

It will be a much better fit with the realistic bodies (like the one you mentioned) and if you want realistic then that is the way to go.

Everyone is right, these do come up often in the classifieds and if you wait for the right deal then you can get a killer deal on one with some upgrades.

Dont forget to budget for batteries and a charger (hobbypartz has cheap lipo setups or even cheaper from hobbyking but you have to wait a while if it is coming from china).
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #11

I have to agree with these guys. I own a maxstone 10 and in the month or so I've had it, I've replaced tires, shocks, trans and servo.
Moehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

Tires were the only "optional" part btw
Moehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #13

well i have the maxstone and i like it (mostly because it was my first crawler) but i have replaced the motor, radio equipment, the servo, the battery, the tires, the wheels, the chassis, the lower links and the rod ends, so basically the only stock parts are the axles and the transmission
nolan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I have the maxstone 8 and it's a decent rig, broke the up and lower links on the front but only because i was being stupid and t-boned it with my slash doing 50 mph lol. The bad thing about exceed is that they never have replacement parts available. Needless to say, my maxstone is sitting dormant right now lol
KryptoniteKummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #15

http://s1290.photobucket.com/albums/...ps985e5a0e.jpg
this is my maxstone
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

private album, can't see it
KryptoniteKummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Honestly the scx10 is a fantastic truck, everything thats been written on it and everyone thats owned one will tell you that. You can find them all day long in the for sale section and there are more parts available than you can shake a stick at. Also screw the nimh packs, lipo is the way to go. Much lighter which equals more run time and more voltage in the same space. Plus they cost about the same as the nimh packs now anyway. If your not looking for a scaler stick with axial or losi. Both better than the max stone and I've seen rollers for as little as 100-150 bucks on either of them. If your patient you can get some KICK ass deals. Last year I got a ready to run ax10 off of craigslist for $80 bucks!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #18

set my photobucket to public so you all can see my truck sorry bout that
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #19

ok i got them up so you all can see
sorry about the low quality, its from my cellphone

Last edited by nolan B; 10-17-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I agree on getting a SCX10. I have had mine for a couple of months now and love it. Also, skip the NiMh and go LiPo. I run a SPC 2s 5000mah 25c LiPo in my Axial and get about 3 hours of run time and the battery was about $30.
SmokeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Maxstone 10 help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exceed maxstone 10 snowshoebrue General Crawlers 96 04-19-2018 10:37 AM
My MaxStone 10 StreetShaker Newbie General 6 10-31-2012 03:12 PM
Maxstone 10: Landcruiser CruisinMT Videos! 3 02-13-2012 10:49 AM
maxstone 8 ? jeffmalone Newbie General 1 01-23-2012 08:37 PM