RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/412188-why-i-dont-go-comps-not-looking-comp-guy-replies.html)

ROWDY RACING 09-20-2013 01:50 PM

Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkaldidDog (Post 4484903)
And Jeremy just stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night?

:ror:

xwaxeboardersx 10-17-2013 10:05 AM

My biggest problem with clubs is lack of organization. There are 2 local groups in Sacramento CA where I live and I made the mistake of joining the newer one. They have no organization, there are 4 people who think they are in charge of the group, and you don't know when we're going Tk a meet untill 9:00 the night before. Other than that, I think once you make the initial investment and buy a rig, the parts aren't too expensive as long as you keep an eye out and look for deals.

Sxc10 custom exo cage, cheetah print and bedazzled wraith for the girlfriend, and team associated pro-lite 4x4 short course truck

B.Knucklehead 10-30-2013 04:07 PM

Being new to crawling and just getting my crawler knowledge up to speed with all the tips & tricks. The Forum here has been a valuable source of info... Look forward to getting into it deeper as soon as I fully ubderstand the rules and course layouts...

JK Krawler 11-03-2013 05:00 PM

Attended my first ever comp or more like a fund raiser for cancer but very fun indeed.My friends have been doing this for a while.While we do mostly 1:1 off road this was something to do between trips.One question i had asked my friends about comps was,where does the money they collect for an event go to? T-shirts? Stickers,etc. Or does it end in someone's pocket.Also the planners of these events seem don't take the time to really set up a good fun course meaning no challenges

weck 11-03-2013 06:47 PM

Distance to comps. If I stay in mn it's 4 hours. If I go down into Iowa it's only 3 hours. That's 1 way...

BigSki 11-07-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK Krawler (Post 4534656)
One question i had asked my friends about comps was,where does the money they collect for an event go to? T-shirts? Stickers,etc. Or does it end in someone's pocket.

Something my club did the last year that we ran comp crawlers along with scalers was they purchased door prizes and gift certificates. We had some nice gifts and some plain brown paper bags with something inside.:mrgreen:

When the interest was really strong for more scale comps, the club switched focus for that class of vehicles, then attendance just fell off. We had a few good runs over the past year but it's all the same guys. We can't figure out how to get any interest for new members to join.

SCRUEWD 12-09-2013 06:33 PM

this thread made it a year plus... Charlie I take it you got a check list out of this?

davemud 12-14-2013 09:14 AM

I'm into RC just for fun and currently have just a LMC and LTT. My wife and I take them on hikes and walks and play along the way.

As a poster said above I'm not into being at a certain place, with specified setup.

There is a lot of talk earlier about comps not being very accessible to beginners and casual RC fans because the cost and complexity is overwhelming or intimidating even if the people are friendly as usually probably are.

The simplest affordable way to bring beginners and casual rcrs out is a stock "run what ya brung" class. Beginners don't need to have crawlers that meet some class definition they just need a truck capable of driving a basic rock and truck trials type course.

About the cheapest way to get started in basic rock crawling and trailing are the Losi MC, TT and Redcat Sumo crawler. They are inexpensive and small enough to be used inside as a toy and capable enough to drive the sections of a 1/10 course albeit differently.

I lake my MC out to IOCO probably the most popular RC Crawling spot in metro Vancouver BC. 1/10 wheel ruts are my canyons and one section can be a whole course for my little truck.

Promote and welcome the little ones, both micros and kids and you will bring more new people into the hobby if that is what comp organizers want and are trying to do.

Maybe schedule casual trail runs and rallies for the non competitive rcr's and family members so it becomes more of a family event if again that's what organizers and clubs want.

In some cases comps are to get away from the family and that's ok too.

6sharky9 12-14-2013 09:42 AM

I don't go to comps because well; there simply are non in my area:roll:

I would just like to experience it and see how well or horrible I would do.8)

Silvertip 12-25-2013 02:12 PM

I went to one comp, I have way more fun with our group weekend GTG. running trails and rocks high marking and line challenges. spending time running battery packs down rather then standing around waiting on a starting gate for a 10 min run.

evilozz 12-25-2013 03:09 PM

Im with sickcivic, I live in the same area as he does north of akron,ohio i joined nostr forum. Im 34 doin this rc thing since idk 13 and ive met a few "rc" ppl around here and there and the ones i seem to meet r well tools sry. The one i can remember for sure, younger dude worked at hobbyshop, all he spewed was i got the newest expensive this and that like my broke ass cared about his expensive bolt-ons. When i mentioned things like holmes hobbies and others his face went blank, my point i know what im doin and everytime i meet rc guys they talk down to me like i just dont know. Ive wanted to get up with nostr for sum trail runs for sum time now my jk is a tank but like civic said i dont truely know these ppl, i still dont even have a lipo yet so id be holdin them back. And a comp have to go back and change things to meet the rules sry that trucks done on to the next. Ive even gone to the extreme of trying to build and give a friend a scx10, but i repoed it as he wouldnt put a buc in it.

Solitaire 12-25-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertip (Post 4601130)
I went to one comp, I have way more fun with our group weekend GTG. running trails and rocks high marking and line challenges. spending time running battery packs down rather then standing around waiting on a starting gate for a 10 min run.

Well, I don't know what your club is like, but around here we run crawler (Pro and Novice) early morning followed by Scale/Outlaw early aft and then the majority goes trailing after that.

Our comps are 5 min runs and when you're not driving, you're scoring...or judging...or even filming. No time to get bored.

CodesEmpire 01-02-2014 07:10 PM

Wow, there's a lot of posts here and I read a few pages of them. I personally haven't been to any comps. I have my kids that love to run with me. I would go by myself if I could find one from time to time, but my biggest thing is I don't want to pay a bunch of money to be in a comp. I personally just want to have fun with a bunch of guys that enjoy the hobby. I don't have any of my trucks setup for a full out comp. Some are close, but I build them to have fun. We have fun as a family and sometimes we get out with a few others that have rigs and its loads of fun. I would like to have some fun and see what a comp is all about with out the crazy stuff of a comp. I just want to have fun.

sgtbham 01-02-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilozz (Post 4601166)
Im with sickcivic, I live in the same area as he does north of akron,ohio i joined nostr forum. Im 34 doin this rc thing since idk 13 and ive met a few "rc" ppl around here and there and the ones i seem to meet r well tools sry. The one i can remember for sure, younger dude worked at hobbyshop, all he spewed was i got the newest expensive this and that like my broke ass cared about his expensive bolt-ons. When i mentioned things like holmes hobbies and others his face went blank, my point i know what im doin and everytime i meet rc guys they talk down to me like i just dont know. Ive wanted to get up with nostr for sum trail runs for sum time now my jk is a tank but like civic said i dont truely know these ppl, i still dont even have a lipo yet so id be holdin them back. And a comp have to go back and change things to meet the rules sry that trucks done on to the next. Ive even gone to the extreme of trying to build and give a friend a scx10, but i repoed it as he wouldnt put a buc in it.

I know a lot of you NOSTR run with us GURUS hopefully we will catch you and civic at the next comp!

Manning 01-03-2014 06:01 AM

The club I'm in charges exactly ZERO to compete. Nothing. Nada. Free. All one has to do is show up.

My point is don't assume there is an expensive entry fee if you haven't been.

And somebody reading this thread would think that every comp competitor is an ass. It's simply not true. Are all golfers and bass fishermen asses? I have no idea as I don't do either, but I'd guess not.

Don't assume, find out for yourself.

Calderwood 01-03-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning (Post 4611551)
The club I'm in charges exactly ZERO to compete. Nothing. Nada. Free. All one has to do is show up.

My point is don't assume there is an expensive entry fee if you haven't been.

And somebody reading this thread would think that every comp competitor is an ass. It's simply not true. Are all golfers and bass fishermen asses? I have no idea as I don't do either, but I'd guess not.

Don't assume, find out for yourself.

X2

Further more, some clubs only charge to enter the points series.

Fishy 01-21-2014 10:44 AM

While we have lots of comps and some epic rock close to home, I only go to watch. It's probably the guys with the $1,000 scalers, and the ridiculous courses that turn me off to actually competing... Loves me some scale trail runs tho...

Erin 01-21-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy (Post 4637784)
While we have lots of comps and some epic rock close to home, I only go to watch. It's probably the guys with the $1,000 scalers, and the ridiculous courses that turn me off to actually competing... Loves me some scale trail runs tho...

I think you are referring to the comp side of things, not the scale in your area.
Very few if any up there have $1k scale rigs, I've seen most of them and ran with quite a few. You need to enter into one of Bmuzz's scale events, I think you will be surprised how well you may end up doing.

A lot of newer people seem to confuse scale and comp, as they are very different. To add to the confusion, most of the LHS give even more uninformed info to new people creating even more problems.

And if you don't like the closed course events, look for the G6 coming up on the 8th, that will be right down your alley from the sounds of it.

wraithmike 01-30-2014 08:08 PM

My buddy and I just bought RTR Wraiths and we wouldn't even know where to begin if we were thinking about competing. For now just driving them is a blast. It's also hard to make time for a new hobby.

makya 02-24-2014 04:25 PM

I can say why I haven't gone so far:

I went to a swap meet this weekend in Folsom. There were a group of guys a few spots away all wearing G6 tshirts and selling scaler/crawler parts, ad looked like they had some nice stuff. Since I sold a few hundred dollars worth of my buggy/truck parts, I decided to check out what they had, and ask a few questions about the comps they go to.

Since I just got an HPI CK (I know it's not a comp. rig), I asked if they thought I'd be able to still use some of my parts and build a U4RC rig. Not only did I get an attitude, but one of the guys told me that I could spend $1000 on it and he'd still beat me with a stock Wraith. the other guys that were there just pretty much acted like they didn't want me there. I've been involved in R/C off and on for about 25 years, and I've never seen that much "elitism" from a whole group at a race track. It's pretty much the same thing I used to see with some of the Full Size clubs on the Rubicon and Fordyce back when I still 'wheeled.

After that, I didn't even bother asking about what they had for sale.

that's the second time I've been talked down to like that by comp guys, and if that's the way they present themselves, I can see why people don't go. I'd like to check some out, but I doubt I'll ever take my kids.