RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/412188-why-i-dont-go-comps-not-looking-comp-guy-replies.html)

sabbath336 01-30-2013 01:41 PM

Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Yeah its very hard to find a listing of classes, Maybe its on a shop to shop basis.

The Oz 01-31-2013 04:23 AM

For me I guess I just like the realism of scaling and I'm looking for a relaxed atmosphere. I raced stadiums and buggies for years and just grew tired of how serious people got and the fits they threw. Not everyone was like that but enough for it to ruin the fun I was trying to have. The guys I have spoken to from the local club seem really cool and I look forward to hanging out with them and learning a new aspect of the hobby.

Charlie-III 01-31-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabbath336 (Post 4153219)
Yeah its very hard to find a listing of classes, Maybe its on a shop to shop basis.

When you say, "Listing of classes" do you mean rules or what a comp will be running? Most clubs/groups/shops that list a comp (with dates) will also list what classes they will be running as well as entry fees.

If you are looking for the "official" rules, main page of RCC about 2/3's of the way down the page.

NOTE: Some comps will run a slightly modified set of "official rules" usually being a little easy on the new guys. The reason is that the guys that go to Nats, etc. need to practice while using the Official rules.

craddock35 02-16-2013 05:38 PM

I don't run comps mostly cause of the $$$$$ it costs more than enough to build one then the entry fees buy back in fees cost of driving to no telling where for a comp that gets very expensive fast. I got started into the crawlers by helping a friend build one for his kid then we decided we liked it and got into it for fun and to have something to do with the kids along with a little friendly competition. I myself got hurt on the job and disabled cause of it so funds are very limited for me and costing $100+ to be able to get to and enter 1 comp is crazy and kinda takes the fun out of it when you have to spend that kind of money just to comp I would rather just comp with friends at places within 30min like we do now and keep my crawler going instead of putting the money into entering a comp 3+hrs away. We might not get ranked or get 1st in the country or something like that but who cares we had fun and to us thats what it is about.

colebz 02-17-2013 12:59 AM

The only reason I don't go to every comp( scaler and crawler) and event is transportation. If I could carpool, I would go Everytime. I have gas money if anyone is in Seattle...

rc kraver 02-24-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colebz (Post 4184983)
The only reason I don't go to every comp( scaler and crawler) and event is transportation. If I could carpool, I would go Everytime.

x2
mostly all my local fun runs and comps are pretty close to where i live but im 16 and working on getting my licence so i can drive to comps but till then im stuck at home and no one really wants to get me and its on there way just off the freeway a little ways but really close but untill i get my licence i could go to comps more but thats all "thumbsup"
oh and school but the comps are mostly on saturdays

Charlie-III 02-25-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colebz (Post 4184983)
The only reason I don't go to every comp (scaler and crawler) and event is transportation. If I could carpool, I would go every time. I have gas money if anyone is in Seattle...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc kraver (Post 4199433)
x2
Mostly all my local fun runs and comps are pretty close to where I live but I'm 16 and working on getting my license so I can drive to comps. until then I'm stuck at home and no one really wants to get me and it's on their way just, off the freeway a little ways but really close. But until I get my license I could go to comps more, but thats all "thumbsup"
Oh, and school but the comps are mostly on Saturdays

You should do what my son did, he built me a 2.2 Bully (for Christmas a couple of years ago) so I had more of a reason to go to comps with him as well as practice at home.
;-)

rc kraver 02-25-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4200931)
You should do what my son did, he built me a 2.2 Bully (for Christmas a couple of years ago) so I had more of a reason to go to comps with him as well as practice at home.
;-)

i tried that with nitro onroad racing it worked for a little bit but they just gave up on rc's all together but im still going strong!!!"thumbsup"
and i figured out how i got into rc's when i was really young like 5 or something one of my uncles had a losi xxxt and we were up in arizona visiting our great grandma and grandpa and he pulled it out and was driving it so that is the story of how i became obsessed with rc's"thumbsup" but only a few more weeks till i can get my license and not have to worry about finding rides... but the only problem is keeping my room/hobby room clean so i my parents dont keep me from going for having a messy room"thumbsup"

Charlie-III 02-25-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc kraver (Post 4201124)
i tried that with nitro onroad racing it worked for a little bit but they just gave up on rc's all together but im still going strong!!!"thumbsup"
and i figured out how i got into rc's when i was really young like 5 or something one of my uncles had a losi xxxt and we were up in arizona visiting our great grandma and grandpa and he pulled it out and was driving it so that is the story of how i became obsessed with rc's"thumbsup" but only a few more weeks till i can get my license and not have to worry about finding rides... but the only problem is keeping my room/hobby room clean so i my parents dont keep me from going for having a messy room"thumbsup"

My son tried to get me into Nitro a few years ago, I flat out said NO. Electric I will deal with (started with 10th onroad in the late 70's) so electric crawlers is fine as well.

Good luck getting your license, keep the parents happy and go to comps."thumbsup""thumbsup"

JCTINY 02-26-2013 10:19 PM

I went to my first one last weekend and was really turned off by it. The people their just seemed way to serious. So much so that they didnt look like they were having any fun. I got a couple of buddies with crawlers and it just seems like a much better time to screw around than to add a whole bunch of rules.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Rockridge 03-03-2013 09:52 AM

after skimming through this thread ive noticed a trend..... it seem that the #1/ biggest reason is, there is no cluds/comps close enough to the majority of people. I would love to get out an be an active member of a club and participate in comps, but like most, have to drive 45min just to go bash/trail run with fellow RC'ers. To get to a club im looking at 1.5 to 2 hours.... makes it hard to hit up the after work/ mid week practices and with a "young/new" family I cant justify taking a whole day, not to mention the gas $$$, every weekend.

Charlie-III 03-03-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockridge (Post 4210254)
After skimming through this thread I've noticed a trend..... it seems that the #1/ biggest reason is, there are no clubs/comps close enough to the majority of people. I would love to get out an be an active member of a club and participate in comps, but like most, have to drive 45min just to go bash/trail run with fellow RC'ers. To get to a club I'm looking at 1.5 to 2 hours.... makes it hard to hit up the after work/ mid week practices and with a "young/new" family I can't justify taking a whole day, not to mention the gas $$$, every weekend.

I can understand your issues and yes, local clubs may be a trek.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have some rocks on my property and lots of rocks within ~10 minutes.
Since my son also comps, I have a "built-in" comp partner.

As to GTG's, find a local group and see if members that are closer to you would "meet in the middle" somewhere.

lowlow 03-12-2013 11:46 AM

They money, time, and distance wouldnt a issue at all for me. Here in ga we dont have miles and miles or rocks., we do have some decent places, and i have a few courses i have made, i drive everyday(prob more than almost everyone) just because i run a buisness doin landscapin and im blessed to have time and some courses where we always work to feed this sick addiction i have .... I think my biggest issue is some of the people on the site, i been in it for 2 years or so And just now started posting a little bit on the site, Due to the fact of some of the Smart mouths That I see on here... For gos sakes I read and did research for over a year before asking one question... Just because I really didn't want To hear a smart ass comment by someone with thousands of post... When the fact of the matter is I have I think I have 20 something post, And I'm very confident that I would crack heads n a competition.. Not saying I would be tha best ever I'm just saying that the attitudes on the side and smart asses Could completely turn someone away from even wanting to Stick with or get into this hobby.. I have two or three friends with crawlers out my way, Probably spent $10,000 last year On parts and such.. I love the hobby and I love driving them, But from what I have heard i Think if I went to a comp And some of the folks that are assholes on here behind that keyboard Actually said something... It would be a whole different kind of comp. Don't get me wrong I have met some cool people on here, Which all live far away... It must be nice to live out west where they do the comps all the time... Sorry to rant and rave.. It just humors me that the folks have been in here the longest t are the reason that this hobby will never Be as big and popular as the others, but yet they will be cryin a river win they are the only ones year after year at comps. Just my opinion.. Not tryin to piss anyone off. Its just stupid some of tha "CRAWLER GODS" act like they do.
Later

heartless 03-13-2013 06:51 AM

Why I don't go to competitions? 2 reasons...

1. There arent any around here. And I cant afford to drive for several hours to go to one.
No clubs either - serious lack of interest in the crawling arena in my area. I think, counting myself, and the other half, there are maybe 4 or 5 crawlers in this area (we own 2 of them)...
Scale? HA! My Ford F-250 will be the first in this area.

Plenty of SC & oval guys around, however, which leads to....

2. Attitudes.
There are serious attitude issues with a lot of the RC-ers around here.
"Bashing" around here is just that - SERIOUS Bashing! As in the: "I am gonna take you out" kind of bashing. Not the "just having a little fun" kind of bashing.

Our LHS set up an indoor race track for SC & oval racing in the winter months - I went once for actual racing, and a few of the guys there were just plain a%# wipes - slamming into other cars - on purpose - not actually racing to show off their skills - more like "i dont have any skills so I am gonna take you out so I can win" kind of attitudes.
"Bigger, faster, more powerful than yours" seems to be where it is at around here.

I dont need that kind of garbage attitude. I just want to have some fun. So I do it at home, in my own yard, for the most part. We have several SC trucks to play with - go fast, do burnouts, donuts, jump, etc, and 2 - RS10 Redcats for crawling on the rock pile. Like i said earlier - the F-250 I am building will be the first "scaler" in this immediate area.

This October there is supposed to be a big Boy Scouts Jamboree in town, and one of the "local" RC plane clubs is planning to have RC demonstrations - they will be doing planes & helis in one of the large buildings (October is a great time of year for strong winds) and they want to also have SC and crawler areas. I happened to be in the LHS when the event coordinator (a plane guy) was in, and I volunteered (or "was volunteered" by the shop owner & I agreed - lol) to help out with the crawler area. I just happened to have the F-250 with me and the event coordinator showed a lot of interest in it...so, maybe....just maybe we can get a little interest going in the scale crawler arena here - or crawlers in general.

Aside form the 2 reasons listed above - there is also the "class" aspect - dont have a clue what the various classes consist of (lack of clubs might have something to do with that?) I see comments about a "class 1" or "class 2" rig, but have no idea what that means.

4-D 03-14-2013 08:33 AM

Hi ,

My .02 Just getting into this.."thumbsup"

Starting with a RTR as most would expect.

Most likely will never comp..But would go to watch and learn. I am all about the learning what I can for my own satisfaction and talking with others of the like

Most likely will eventually build 3 quality rigs 1 Son /Wife n Me to use with our other addiictions Jeeping and ATVing everywhere and stay up to date with the RC Crawling world.

Been there done that in the comp world just different sport , Archery I own a Archery Pro Shop heading into 20 years traveled many states and had good times .

Just want to have fun with something a like while we are camping at a location while we are using our bigger toys..

Just want to have fun with family and friend that have or like RC.

And will most defiantly try to get others in to it.:)

Thanks

dr dorito 03-23-2013 08:42 PM

mother nature built my enviroment, not trump.

djp087 03-26-2013 02:29 PM

I think chomping would be fun if it were close. However, it isn't and I'm driving a shafty. Why? Because its way more fun! Anytime other than comps, MOA crawlers aren't as fun and break more often and are more expensive. Idk about you guys but I want to be able to drive the hell out of my rig, have nothing break and be able to drive it another day. Yes, I have put some money into it, but not excessively. I'm all abut hanging with my friends, trying stupid hard lines and bullshitting about other stuff while we crawl.

bikerzee24 03-26-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp087 (Post 4247623)
I think chomping would be fun if it were close. However, it isn't and I'm driving a shafty. Why? Because its way more fun! Anytime other than comps, MOA crawlers aren't as fun and break more often and are more expensive. Idk about you guys but I want to be able to drive the hell out of my rig, have nothing break and be able to drive it another day. Yes, I have put some money into it, but not excessively. I'm all abut hanging with my friends, trying stupid hard lines and bullshitting about other stuff while we crawl.

I am complety in the same boat as you, I like to do it for fun and maybe a slight change of competetion. More towards fun and the challenge of taking hard lines and letting the rig take a beating rather than trying to keep it looking pretty. Some people take a competition way to much to heart, this hobby just started out as a fun thing to do and then it lead to competitions. I say have fun firt before anything.

Charlie-III 03-26-2013 04:53 PM

For everyone that has posted in this thread (as well as the other 2 similar threads I did that are along a similar line), thank you.8)

"thumbsup""thumbsup"

I'm just looking for feedback so individuals (like the posters) as well as comp organizers & club management have a REAL read on the potential issues they are facing.

Thank you to everyone that has posted in this thread as well as my 2 other threads.8)

[Bow down]8)

djp087 03-27-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerzee24 (Post 4247638)
I am complety in the same boat as you, I like to do it for fun and maybe a slight change of competetion. More towards fun and the challenge of taking hard lines and letting the rig take a beating rather than trying to keep it looking pretty. Some people take a competition way to much to heart, this hobby just started out as a fun thing to do and then it lead to competitions. I say have fun firt before anything.

Yeah man I agree! I mean afterall, we are all mostly adults driving rc cars. It should never be serious!