Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: i have no idea...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Default i have no idea...

hey guys, I'm very new here (1st post) and my name is Joey. I'm looking at getting into r-c crawling, but i have no idea what to get and where to start. after doing some research I'm thinking about going with the 2012 axial scx10 jeep and get a Tamiya F350 body. any suggestions in what to get? about 5 years ago i bought an HPI Firestorm 10t with a nitro engine and now I'm looking at getting into electric and i have no clue where to start lol. please help a new guy, and if anyone local to me (55320 zip) would care to show me what you have that'd be awesome. thanks ahead, Joey.
Random Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: i have no idea...

Welcome Joey,

My first bit of advice would be to check out YouTube. Do a search for each of the vehicle types you're looking at buying. Watch them drive, read the descriptions of what mods (if any) have been done to the rigs. Narrow down what type of "scaling" you want to do, and start from there. FOFF/Speed/Hill climbing? Axial Wraith. Slower, more "realistic" (scale) looking with different body options? SCX10. There are other kits out there, but those are the most popular IMO.

Good luck in your search, and have fun!
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #3

im just looking for a good place to start. probably not doing any comps or anything. just a fun think for me to get out and go outside lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Username View Post
..after doing some research I'm thinking about going with the 2012 axial scx10 jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Username View Post
im just looking for a good place to start. probably not doing any comps or anything. just a fun think for me to get out and go outside lol.
You've come to the right place and chosen a great first rig. That truck is on many of our lists to buy, and I honestly feel you won't be disappointed.

Welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That scx10 is an excellent platformTons of aftermarket parts available too
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Axial has a great aftermarket following. The new Axial Rubicon has pretty sweet, 2 guys from our group has them and they are awesome.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback guys these fourms seem very supportive for new members like me. I can't wait to get it! I have a few questions like what batteries should I get? Does it make a difference if I go cheap on the batteries and chargers. Should I go lipo or nihm? How would I go about waterproofing? Not fully submersible but enough for some snow and mudding. I'm really excitited about the feedback
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #8

I prefer and run lipo's in all my RC's including my Ridgecrest due to the run time. You will have to choose which size battery you want to run, I run full size 5000mah Lipos in my ridgecrest because I already had them and run them in my Slash 4X. Once again waterproofing videos a plenty on you tube with different methods you can choose which one suits you. You don't have to spend big money on a charger as there are several you can get that will do a fine job for under $50.
sjs88 is offline   Reply With Quote

i have no idea... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do u think of this idea? geekfreek95 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 41 09-25-2010 08:54 PM
Whose idea was this? Scattman Chit Chat 8 03-12-2007 08:50 PM
idea cook Newbie General 1 03-24-2006 08:13 AM
Idea!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Deshi Chit Chat 5 12-05-2005 09:51 AM