Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Just getting started! Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Question Just getting started! Please Help!

So I have been watching these cool little rigs work all over the net and I just got to get two, one for me and one for my grandson. My main issue is I don't know which unit to start with. Don't know if we would ever compete or not, but ultimately we would like to build a full on 1/10 scale comp rig to cruise around Moab where we live. I have a pretty cool rock crawler with tera 60's and 4 speed atlas and the such, so I understand the sport and concept of strong parts, but I know nothing about these cool little rigs. With this in mind, do we want to start with the Axial Wraith, Losi Night Rider or a Bully ARTR2? Or something else completely? I don't mind spending $300-$500 each to get us started and then build them up over the years. I also think it would be cool to build them together so I am good with getting a kit right from the start to make sure I understand how they are built. I plan on purchasing mine in the next month and getting one for my grandson soon after. Can someone help get us started? I learned after owning a real rock crawler you are better off doing it once and being done than wasting a lot of money doing it over.
rockntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just getting started! Please Help!

Welcome to the forum! I had my lil rigs out at Moab a few weeks ago for easter jeep safari. I was out there with the shop I work for. Lots of fun!!! So, I know you want to build it right the first time. And with that comes a lot of research. I think driving around scale rigs is a lot more fun that the com rigs. I had my scale rigs on pucker at area b.f.e. they did great.

A kit to start with will be your best bet. You can upgrade from there. If you really do your research, you could build it piece by piece. That's a whole lot more work. Read through the forums, get more insight into the rigs your thinking about and that will steer you in the right direction.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Starting off new I would personally start with a Axial SCX-10
Axial Racing - SCX10
D19er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

RMK, which shop do you work for? Easter Jeep safari is a lot of fun and there are tons of people in town. I can't wait to get me one of these little rigs and I kind of would like to pattern it after my big rig. I lead trails during Easter and think it would be a lot of fun to entertain some kids with during lunch break. I have seen people running them all over in Moab and I finally got to drive one and it was way fun. You are right it might be better than the real thing. And I have rocks everywhere here to play on. Thanks for the advice, Rockntj.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

Can't go wrong with an upgraded Axial.

I love the SCX10 but the Wraith is good too.
or, do what I do...
buy a set of used, upgraded axles, the chassis of your choosing and whatever body you want and build it from the ground up.

That way, you spend less in the long run for an upgraded reliable rig.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree with D19er on getting an scx10. I have the dingo and it is really fun. It was my first kit build ever and it was really easy, except some of the bags were mislabeled. I would go with a scale rig instead of an MOA or shaft competition (which I have barely seen at all). Mine has been really durable and is a blast to drive. Tip: if you are bashing, get a 20 to 27 turn motor.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

My advise.... Do lots of research before you decide. Figure out what you want to do. For me it was watching the capabilities of xr10's and bergs that sold me on the moa comp crawler. Also check around in your area and see if there are local clubs and what they run. The more people you run with the more fun it is. Youtube is a great resource of videos to check out. The RCadventures channel has a really good variety, and DJmedic is a good host for his web show. Anyways keep looking abd just pick eventually they peak curiosity enough to wheree you'll try it all
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

So far I have got some really solid advice from all that have posted. So thanks guys. I do agree on one thing for sure that curcal stated, in the aspect that I too am amazed at what some of the capabilities of the MOA xr10's and comp rigs can do. I think personally this is also where I am at with my real rig as I have done most everything that I can in it and I am thinking about selling it and getting a full on buggy so this is probably why I am also into these types of little rigs a little more as well. Still open and looking for some solid advice and still researching the web like crazy, but if I had to decide today I think I would purchase an XR10 MOA crawler kit for myself and either the Axial Wraith or AX10 jeep kit for my grandson. Decisions decisions! I will have to check on a local club I don't know of any thus far though. I also like johnnyh66 advice, but I don't know if I would be knowledgeable enough about the parts to build one from the ground up. Thanks again to all that replied.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
RMK
Quarry Creeper

I'm with TNT Customs out of Cheyenne. We had a few jk's, our trail boss tj and our xj on the trails every day. I was working our booth Friday and I also had mini t-rex taking a tour of the entire event with a go pro strapped to its roll cage. It was a blast. I wanna throw together a moon buggy for next year and hit patato salad, the difficult side. yeah, with how many lunch breaks there are, there is plenty of time to get the lil rigs out for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockntj View Post
RMK, which shop do you work for? Easter Jeep safari is a lot of fun and there are tons of people in town. I can't wait to get me one of these little rigs and I kind of would like to pattern it after my big rig. I lead trails during Easter and think it would be a lot of fun to entertain some kids with during lunch break. I have seen people running them all over in Moab and I finally got to drive one and it was way fun. You are right it might be better than the real thing. And I have rocks everywhere here to play on. Thanks for the advice, Rockntj.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Deciding on a rig is probally one of the hardest choices.. My first one was a trail finder2 by RC4WD.. So cool and scale too, then i got a trail honcho, wow that can crawl out of the box... Then i got a scx10 wrangler cuz its so scale and cool as well, my son loves that one.( he stole it from me he liked it so much) now im having afriend build a full custom 2.2 rig with a crewcab clod body onit gonna be cool, and i just picked up two tamiya rigs a cr01 and a cc01, they look like fun builds havent opened the box yet on those.. So deciding on something csn be tough.. I say go scale you cant beat the look of it, and you will be amazed at how good some can crawl, then with some modifications they do even better...
Well thats my two cents, im sure whatever you get it will be fun and open you to the world of scale crawling..
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I would suggest the.Axial scx10 jeep Rubicon as your first rig, it will teach you the in's and out's of these incredible rigs, also when your ready to upgrade you'll know how to get to everything and put it back together without wasting time.
Good luck to you and have fun.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

RMK-Potato Salad Hill would be a blast with one of these little rigs. Maybe I will see you up there next year. I will stop by your both for sure and try and look you up. Do you kow if there are any clubs in the Moab area?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

Johnny66- The more research I do the more I think you are on to something with starting with the axles and building it up from their. I also want to try and get on the classifieds as soon as possible and see what I can find.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Fan of wheelspeed

I would recomend the SCX10 Jeep Rubicon or the SCX10 Honcho.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

scx10 scaler with whatever body you want an moa rig is only cool for so long and you run out of challenges going with a scaler opens up so much more terrain to have fun on and still allow for some very challenging driving, when that gets old........build a scale trailer and go back and try it again
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I would go with the axial scx10 jeep rubicon.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Lightbulb Re: Just getting started! Please Help!

I've done a lot of research on the Redcat RS10-XT here on RCC, and for someone who isn't sure what they want or whether they'll even like climbing (like your grandson), it seems like this is a great option because of its:
  1. price
  2. upgradablility
  3. forum support
  4. manufacturer product support
  5. aftermarket product support
For $300-500 apiece you can afford some decent upgrades which are recommended here:
  1. Hardened steel diff pins
  2. Metal gear ~15k servos
  3. Aluminum servo arms
  4. Softer, higher-traction tires
...etc. For a more-detailed list, check out these two threads:
  1. "I just bought my first RS10" *** YOU NEED TO READ THIS!
  2. Official RS10 tips and tricks
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Just getting started! Please Help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Getting Started peanut Newbie General 22 10-18-2010 12:34 PM
just getting started NeRoMo4 Newbie General 6 07-18-2007 12:12 PM
What to get started MNorby Tamiya TLT Crawlers 7 01-08-2007 05:38 PM
getting started codizzl Newbie General 4 08-14-2006 04:14 PM
What got you started? hvydty1 Chit Chat 67 07-19-2006 07:43 PM