Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Building a tuber...few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Building a tuber...few questions

I'm getting ready to start building a tuber in a few weeks and just need some info that I couldn't find while searching. BTW, the tech article by rocktoy is great.

I plan on using 3/16 brakeline for the main chassis and 1/8 steel rod for the spreader bars and other small braces. Looks like the safety silv is the way to go, but what is the difference between the 45 and 56? It seems like 56 is the most commonly used safety silv, but it also cost nearly twice as much. I'm comparing prices using what Double J has posted in this thread . I would also get his flux.
About how much safety silv would a tuber need....this being a tlt based FJ-40 buggy with a 12.5" wheelbase. And how much flux, will the 1/2lb be enough or go for 1lb?

My main question is, what size sheet metal will I need for link/shock/tranny mounts? I would think something close to what the thickness is of the brakeline. What gauge do you guys use?

I have drawn the chassis out to scale on a few sheets of paper so that I can mock up the top portion of the chassis and then line the axles and links up to do the lower center section. I figured this would make it easyer to invision the bend and also allow me to set it on the paper to make sure the bends are correct.

Please feel free to add any useful tips you have come across while building a tuber that could be helpful.
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The differnce in the 45 and 56 is the silver content. the price of silver has also risen so my prices are not correct. I'm now paying 22.50 after tax for my 56. But for our use the 45 will work just as well, the main difference I've found is that the 56 spreads better around the joints so the end result is cleaner brazes and the 45 seemed to use more heat to get a smooth finish. I would suggest getting the safety silv from the online shop posted somewhere (I'll find it later). I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 1 troy ounce to start, you may only use one, but at first the practice uses up a bunch.
As for the flux the 1/2 pound will work for many builds. As mine has dried out a few times I've added a little water and mixed it up well (even though the welding place said not to) and it's been brought back to life I've done about 5 builds with mine and still have about a 1/4 left.

The sheet metal I've been using has been different thicknesses. I basically got a bunch of scraps from a heat and airconditioning place that were all different thicknesses. I'll pick a piece and go from there.

I'd also just use the brake line for everything but the 1/8 should also work well. The weight difference will be about the same in the end so either way. But brake line is cheaper.

If your going to build around a body I would use the body as a refernce to get the best angles. Bend - fit, bend fit and so on. On the same note I also use a paper to scale on some of them. so a mixture of both will work well.

I think that covers it.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm glad you saw this, I was going to send you a pm. I decided to make a trip home for thanksgiving so I can hunt opening weekend and while I'm there I'm going to try this tuber thing out. If it doesn't work then I'll be getting you to redeem my abortion.
I have the body and I used the measurements off of it when doing the drawing. I will also have the body on hand to make sure everything fits. I will have the axles built and have the link brackets on them so I can get the links set up temporarly with all thread so I can dial in the suspension. Once I get the links finalized, I will probably go with delrin links. I will also have the wheels/tires, shocks, and tranny so I can make sure all that stuff mounts up and sets right. From the looks of it, I will have plenty of room for the esc and reciever. Need to get the measurements for the battery, but I think I will be able to sneek it under the hood.
I'll hit up some hardware stores and see if they have any small sheets of sheet metal that looks right. The 1/8 rod will only be for a few small pieces to allow for contrast and help in the tight areas.

If you could find that site, that would be awesome. I tried to find a place last night but ran out of luck till I remembered you sold it. I found some on e-bay but it is hard to trust it when he wants a few bucks for like 10 cans of the stuff.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm trying to find it. I've looked through a bunch of threads and haven't found it yet.

I'll look later it's time to go home now though.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
I'm trying to find it. I've looked through a bunch of threads and haven't found it yet.

I'll look later it's time to go home now though.
I'll search some tomorrow while at work too. I need to get off of here and study for my economics test. Luckily economics in college is not based on how you spend your money on RCs or I'd be screwed :-P