Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: shaft versus clods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I told you it wasn't easy!

Maybe look at the complete crawler kits available from www.thecrawlerstore.com ?

There are a number of vendors who will build you complete rigs on this site as well... DoubleJ, colquittcustoms405 are 2 off the top of my head.

there is also the for sale section where deals can be found... especially if you have a Rx/Tx and receiver suitable for crawling that you can scavange from another rig.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Unholy is doing a good job of breaking ya in. I dont wanna jump on ya too much now but knowing the terminology is important. spending a couple of nights on the site could do wonders for ya. Use the stickies....in fact theres a "lingo" sticky some where around here.

Try going to each forum and looking at the pictures to gain a feel for what people are talking about.
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywhohatesdishes
...and for the record, this has to be the hardest form of rc'ing I have seen, at least as far as getting a rig together.
That's why I love it!
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It's easier for me to ask question's here than dig for info that I really don't know what I am looking for.
FYI - When you post things like this, its like walking into a room filled with pit bulls wearing a meat suit. And I agree that this site is difficult to navigate until you learn the terminology. What I'd suggest is spend a few minutes going through each of the different sections and start with the "Stickys" at the top. Most of them were designed to give you a brief Reader's Digest version of those types of trucks. Then page through the Galleries to see what catches your eye and then start asking the specific questions. Just a thought....trying to help!
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #25

Default thanks

Thanks for all the help, think I have gotten fully broken in.
guywhohatesdishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No were close, I havn't been called an *sshole yet.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #27

Default asshole

if you ride the bike that your screen name imply's, your asshole has enough problems. First bike that I ever super manned!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #28

Quote:
I am going to just buy a completed rig and not mess with parts and sourcing pieces
This seems to be the best way to do it. I bought a nylint cause it was on clearance for $40. they can't really compete with most of the rigs on here, but you can't get any of them for $40. certainly not fully assembled.

anyway, after I bought it, I was directed to this site to look for modifications, and started looking around, and saw a few of the sweet scale rigs, and decided I wanted one. But after looking around, and reading alot, it seems that the best way to get into it, is to buy a TLT kit, build it, wheel it for awhile. and then go from there (IMHO, also the best way to build a real car/truck).

now, I really want to build a scale rig to match the real one that I'm about to buy (4runner...). since I've decided to shoot for a scale rig eventually, I'm going to start with a shafty for the realistic look. but if that's not what you're into....a clod might be better for you. I can say that after wheeling my nylint a ton, the dual motors seems to be a pretty cool idea, and if done right could yeild alot of performance!

I hope that helps....and good luck! I feel for ya, The learning cure here is pretty steep. so be patient, and keep looking around. keep an eye on the build threads in the assorted sections to see what people are doing, and what seems to be working. and when you think you're ready....jump in with both feet, and be prepared to screw things up a little.

"and remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together"

Last edited by Numbchux; 10-07-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Numbchux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not even close. You haven't met Braceysdad yet.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

and has also managed to fly under Dirks radar
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #31
Adilynsdad too!

guywhoeatsthemisses,

There has been many discussions on this topic. My personal professional thought is fawk clods and shafties. Well, don't fawk a shaftie unless you play for that team. GO NITRO! Find the Vadginator for all the how to. NITRO is by far the best way to start.

As my long life hero George Michael would say, "I Guess It Would Be Nice If I Could Touch Your Body" and "Use some lube, for God sake, It Burns!" Actually, it might have been Boy George. It's all the same.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad
guywhoeatsthemisses,

There has been many discussions on this topic. My personal professional thought is fawk clods and shafties. Well, don't fawk a shaftie unless you play for that team. GO NITRO! Find the Vadginator for all the how to. NITRO is by far the best way to start.

As my long life hero George Michael would say, "I Guess It Would Be Nice If I Could Touch Your Body" and "Use some lube, for God sake, It Burns!" Actually, it might have been Boy George. It's all the same.

OMG!!!! ROFL!!!!
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #33
Adilynsdad too!

Yeah well, I'm on fire tonight
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah well, I'm on fire tonight
Drinking again eh??
Old 10-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #35
Adilynsdad too!

nope not tonight, just full of shiat
Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
nope not tonight, just full of shiat
So the usual.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
if you ride the bike that your screen name imply's, your asshole has enough problems. First bike that I ever super manned!
You super manned a street bike????
Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #38

Default super man

Rd, thats what happens when you apply the clutch at wot on a 2 cycle restored cafe bike that is your buddies dads pride and joy. I stood the bike up and ran behind it for like 20 feet before laying the bike down.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Rd, thats what happens when you apply the clutch at wot on a 2 cycle restored cafe bike that is your buddies dads pride and joy. I stood the bike up and ran behind it for like 20 feet before laying the bike down.
Ya, scary bike. I took the tune pipes off after about a month. Got really tired of yanking the front tire 3 foot off the ground every time the tach hit 4300RPM. Mine weights in at 306 (with me, 478 ) pounds and with the pipes and a couple other little bits, it pings in at 100 HP. Do the math on the power/weight ratio on that one, then give it that great 2 stroke power band...

I,m not allowed to ride mine for another 15 years. The wife said not till our son is out of college.