Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: shaft versus clods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #1

Default shaft versus clods

Is there a decided difference between drive shafts and clod style axles when it comes to performance? I like the realism of the drive shafts, also what kits availabe to build one, or links?
guywhohatesdishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The biggest advantage to a clod vs a driveline setup like a maxx is the ability to independantly control the front and rear. I suppose you could setup a dig on something like a maxx. I've not tried it on mine, but it would probably have the same benefit as on the 2.2 tlts.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Go with a TLT then if scale is your flavor.Try www.Hobbypeople.net They sell themn for 60-70 bucks shipped.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
2006 2.2 National Champ

Shafties seem to rule the 2.2 Class (TLT axles), Clods seem to rule the Super Class.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #5

Default ????

Col, not sure what you mean?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywhohatesdishes
Col, not sure what you mean?
If you like the realism of driveshafts go with a TLT.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #7

Default tlt

If I want a large scale truck dosen't that leave out tlt's?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Yup... if you want a big a$$ crawler with shafts, TXT is your thing. What Colquitt means by "scale" is realism. People will take the smaller TLT axles and build 1/10 scale rigs that you could mistake for the real thing.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #9

Default tlt

I think I like the x factor style better, I really hate those big sideplates on the txt's. Is there a chassis I could get to get rid of those?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

yes as a matter of fact, the chassis's and pretty much everything else but the axles is usually custom made..... u can buy, or produce them urself..... they are way to expensive for me to consider buying a chassis tho..... another reason i'm partial to the CLOD and a stick style chassis with a 4 channel radio.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #11

Default roadbloc

I am new to this hobbie, so can only go with what I like, what in hard cash is the difference in a build between a clod and a shafty? Ball park it.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I know this is the nooB section, but every question you have asked is on this site if you look for it. Start searching, spend about a week or two reading thruogh the different sections and learn.

Mind you, I am not being a dick, it will be much faster for you to look up your questions then to post and wait for one of us to answer.
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #13

Default ld

It's easier for me to ask question's here than dig for info that I really don't know what I am looking for.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's easier for me to ask question's here than dig for info that I really don't know what I am looking for.
And it's easier for us to tell you that the info is all here if you search...

Try the specific platform subsections... you will find stickys at the top of each section with a basic build of each platform. If you don;t understand somthing in those stickys... search for it.

This branch of the hobby is not about "easy". If it's too troublesome for you to search, it'll probably be too troublesome for you to build too.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #15

Default Search this forum

Unholy
I believe if i'm not mistaken that this is the "newbie" section and not subject to your critcism. I am an avid heli flyer, modeler, and rc car hobbiest, also have been a machinist for 13 years. I believe that I can build any type of crawler that I choose. However, this site is not easy to navigate until you become aware of some basic termonology, I did not know the difference between a txt or a clod or nylint. So I am guessing that a, you could either help answer some basic questions, or b, mind your own bussiness and quit jacking my thread. Sorry if this is harsh, but when you want me to "search" this forum the least you could do is post s link from the exhausting research you have done. Thanks Tim
Old 10-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Unholy
I believe if i'm not mistaken that this is the "newbie" section and not subject to your critcism. I am an avid heli flyer, modeler, and rc car hobbiest, also have been a machinist for 13 years. I believe that I can build any type of crawler that I choose. However, this site is not easy to navigate until you become aware of some basic termonology, I did not know the difference between a txt or a clod or nylint. So I am guessing that a, you could either help answer some basic questions, or b, mind your own bussiness and quit jacking my thread. Sorry if this is harsh, but when you want me to "search" this forum the least you could do is post s link from the exhausting research you have done. Thanks Tim
You are correct in the fact that this is the noob section.
What I can't (and wouldn't) do here is flame.

I can assure you we are more than willing to help them who help themselves.

Here's your link http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php

It has ALL answers to your basic questions you can ever think of asking.

This link - http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/ will make it easy to figure out what the differences between clods, txt, TLT and nylints as there are separate sections for each type of truck.

There was nothing even close to flaming in my previous post and this one. If you wish to be hostile and ignore the help you are given that is your choice.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If you want a big shafty I'd get a Bender Customs SW2, a pede tranny and TXT-1 axles. I considering this combo for one of my next rigs.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am new to this hobbie, so can only go with what I like, what in hard cash is the difference in a build between a clod and a shafty? Ball park it.
To try and give you a little more insight into why your questions are impossible to answer, I took a look at your profile.

Let's say you are at McDonalds on your bike. Someone walks up and says, "I want a custom motorcycle. Can you give me ballpark numbers on the cost difference between a custom Harley vs. a custom Yamaha?" How would you answer?

What's custom in this guys eyes? How much skill does this guy have? Could he build any of his own parts? Does he want a rat bike? Does he want something fast? Does he want something that is easy to ride? Something low maintenance? Does he want a fat back tire? Does he want extended forks? Apehangers? You get the idea?

We can't answer what YOU should do. We also don;t know what you want. Without some research on your part to become somewhat ejucated on the subject, your questions are unanswerable.

For a clod, you could score a screaming deal on a roller on eBay, buy a pimp cane and be happy.... spend less than $200 on it if you have a radio and ESC to scrounge. Or you could want a full on cutom tuber and want the best of the best in everything and spend thousands.

Same goes for a txt or any other shafty. You can spend a little or a lot.

Until you know what you want, we can't really help much.

I hope that explains fully why I say do your research.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #19

Default again

Wow, unholy, lemme buy you a beer. I'm glad your trying to help me understand the hobby, i'm not sure I like the way your doing it though. I am going to just buy a completed rig and not mess with parts and sourcing pieces, and for the record, this has to be the hardest form of rc'ing I have seen, at least as far as getting a rig together.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote