Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Nos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Default Nos

I'm a young 73 years , bought my grandsons the Ruckus and they are having a ball. My old competitive nature kicked in and being practical my reflexes aren't quick enough for racing and the technology of the crawlers has caught my interest. What would be a good reasonably priced crawler to begin with and later move into competition.? I have raced full size cars and motorcycles , flew control line A/C raced slot cars love to tinker retired from the Navy just looking to stay active and have fun with my grandson's.
jpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Nos

Are you looking into scale trucks or comp crawlers?
If scale, Axial is the only way to go if you plan to comp someday.

They have the best aftermarket support and they actually release "new" products.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Just wanting to get started and then step up not wanting to put a lot of money to start. How about some of the cheaper RTR's I am well aware you get what you pay for.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It depends on what they run near you. I don't know where Sophia is. But the forum has a Regional section that will give you an idea of where the "locals" are. You will need to decide if you want to go with a competition style rig or a scaler. If you know, we can help you with what's out there. If you don't know, then this forum will give you a lot of reading opportunity to come up to speed before you decide.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

How cheap is cheap? What are you willing to pay? You can find some good deals in the classifieds on this site and on craigslist for axial rigs.
mncrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeggy View Post
I'm a young 73 years , bought my grandsons the Ruckus and they are having a ball. My old competitive nature kicked in and being practical my reflexes aren't quick enough for racing and the technology of the crawlers has caught my interest. What would be a good reasonably priced crawler to begin with and later move into competition.? I have raced full size cars and motorcycles , flew control line A/C raced slot cars love to tinker retired from the Navy just looking to stay active and have fun with my grandson's.
Do you like to take long walks on the beach and snuggling up with a good book on rainy days as well? Lol sorry that whole intro sounded like an odd personal ad haha.

If you are just entering the crawling scene you basically have 2 options you have to make right off the bat. Do you want a beastly competition purpose rig you can slowly upgrade as need be or a scale rig built for scale competitions where scale items, driver, interior, and realism meets toe to toe in a 1/10 setting?

Not to say a well built scale rock tuber KOH buggy can't out crawl a near bone stock Axial Ax10 or other single motor shaft driven rig (sportsman class).

Up one level is pro class utilizing dual motors directly driving each axle MOA type rigs like an axial xr10 based rig or berg, bully, etc.

Then you have your 1/8 super class with four wheel steer among other things...

Easiest way is to check out an upcoming competition or GTG on the subforum below listed by state and find your USRCRCA club and see what they run.

If you love to tinker like me I think you'd like the Axial Wraith or Scx10 kits. Wraith being easier to drive due to wider axles, 2.2 tires/wheels versus 1.9's and much more possibilities with what you can do with a Wraith now that so many aftermarket companies produce upgraded parts for both rigs.

You are only limited by your planned budget which I think most of us here go way over anyway lol. I planned on a $500-600 sportsman rig...it's around $1100 or so now. My pro rig was close. I budgeted $700 for a solid XR based rig came up about $100 over.

Scale rigs easily can be just as pricey depending how far scale you want to go and how crafty you are at fabbing scale goodies and upgrades.

Either way you go enjoy yourself and welcome!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

X2 on axial..

Yes u can pick up some cheaper rtr new ones ( redcat, exceed, etc) but it will be worth it to you to spend the little extra and get an axial..( you will spend that $ anyways in the near future buying replacement parts for the cheaper ones I mentioned lol ;). . Axial has Tons of aftermarket parts if you want to upgrade in the future, very durable, and have good resale value if you find out that it's not for you or you want to sell and upgrade to bigger and better.
I recommend going with axial... You won't regret it...
Good luck on your choice and if u decide u want to buy used, check out the classifieds here on RCC. Many of good deals and great people to deal with!!!
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #8

No I'm not one to take long walks on the beach I do walk 5 miles a day and ride my old DR 650 through some trails a couple of times a week. I spend my nights building scale model A/C and listening to 50's and 60's rock. I said a young 73. I live a nostalgic life.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
~THE SCALE SHOP~

this is what you want/need
Axial Racing - SCX10
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Youtube is your friend
Scaler G6
Colorado Scale Crawler G6 Event, Sept. 23rd, 2012 - COLORADO RC - YouTube

2.2 Pro Comp
2013 Arizona Shootout - YouTube
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input these forums are really a blessing. I can't get over the technology that has evolved over the last few years and you guys are being very helpful. The majority consensus seems to be toward the Axial so I will have to go look at some at a LHS.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

im gonna maybe suggest the axial ridgecrest. its a good starter rig and can be modified later as you go. its a lil less expensive then say the wraith or scx10 and jus as capable as both. i have one and love crawling with it. then later if you wanna upgrade it runs the same axles and the wraith so you could get a wraith kit for pretty inexpensive and swap all your electronics and axles and everything over. thats what im looking to do in the future.

wraith kit that all you have to do is swap axles, electronics, motor, tranny and links.
AXIAL Wraith Chassis w/ Interior pan
jboehler04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOS Energy Hillcrawler Paint and Body 6 12-24-2008 12:43 PM
Electric NOS ILoveRCRockCrawlin General Crawlers 27 11-24-2006 05:19 PM