Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: (newb) how to improve this rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default (newb) how to improve this rig?

Hey everyone,

I am brand new to RC and bought a RTR TLT based rig. My plan is to own one more or less done to learn it, then get into building. I wanted to post some pics of what I have for suggestions on how to improve it.
(ps- this forum is awesome! I was looking up info for my little walmart xtreme rock machine I used to mess with and ran across this site. I didnt even know RC crawlers existed! thanks for the inspiration )

stats:
15" wheelbase
11" width
ground clearance is right at 3"
moabs on 2.2 rustler wheels
locked rustler tranny
locked TLT axles
55t lathe
hi-tec servos w/ metal gears
4 wheel steering activated by TQ3 w/toggle
chassis is modified TLT cut and bent under
wheel wideners from crawler store
dynamite ESC w/reverse (delayed)
aluminum 4 link suspension
2400 mah peak racing batteries

the truck runs real nice, but gets high centered on the skid plate pretty easily(might be my lack of skills to blame though lol)
what are your recommendations for added strength and capability?
with a 15" wheelbase, what approximate scale body should I be running? currently has an escalade truck, but I am a Jeep guy and would like to swap a CJ body on it.

some pics:

thanks for the help!

Dave
Hardrockguitar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Move the batterys to the axels low cog.Looks good other than that check my link to see my tlt
whalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I saw your from raleigh...is that NC? if so check out this thread Attention Carolina Rock Crawlers

its our club, Carolina Rock Runners. We meet i think its every 3rd saturday, or supposed to be every third anyway. Sometimes scheduling interferes and we have to post pone. Anyway...point is, were a great bunch of guys and all of us are willing to help ya build anyway we can.

Club meet places vary, The Bullhole in Coolemee seems to be our home terrain but we get out to miller park in winston salem, Devils playground in greensboro, some of the guys know of a park near apex ( i think, i havent been to one of those meets though). Scan through that thread see what ya think.
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

yep, raleigh,nc is where I am. If you guys make it to apex, I will definitely come out and play! I dont get alot of time for traveling though...wife, 3 kids and self employed.
I dont see a good way to mount the battery stick anywhere else without losing articulation....may have to make some custom packs and mount them on top of the servos or axles.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Shorten the wheel base....it will help you from high-centering and also bring you into spec with the national rules if that matters to you.

Have fun :-P
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

hmm in my quest for bigger,badder,more, shortening the wheel base completely escaped me. thats a good idea! I am not concerned about rules with this particular rig, but I am sure in future builds that will be a goal. what would an acceptable wheelbase be to fit in the guidelines for a 2.2?
my u-joints at the tranny side and driveshafts are plastic, is there a metal replacement? (u-joints at diffs are metal- I assume I can use the same at the tranny end)
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

2.2 is a 12.5in WB i belive
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You can tell your from NC...the tread is caked with mud!
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

yeah it has only been raining here in NC for 2 days
gasshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

heheh yeah it was a bit wet out today for the inaugural run, but I couldnt wait. I stacked a bunch of medium size rocks up I had laying around and went at it.
now I just need to break something so I can start learning lol
Old 10-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
I'm a stupid C U N T!

stampede sliders or maxx sized and metal output yokes, drill the pinion gear on the axles and there bomb proof
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

well thats the only way to learn on a RTR right? just wish i had my tlt so mine would be finished
gasshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

If you are planning to run in a lot of mud, I have heard the Moabs don't do well in that. I run them, but haven't tried them out in mud/dirt yet.

It looks like your front driveline is at a clean angle, whicj would mean that the front axle has been tilted forward for a better pinion angle. You will get better steering if you run the axle straight ahead. The pede/rustler axles can handle it.

The metal ends you want are a Traxxas upgrade part. Check with your LHS, they should have them or can get them. They are $20 a pair.

roadblock is correct, 2.2 WB is 12.5", axle center to axle center.

You are right on the money for the battery setup. I made a custom front servo plate that moved the servo all the way over and made room for a 2/3A battery pack.
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The reason you are getting caught up on your skid isn't your wheelbase. It's all in your lower links. They need to be mounted flush with skid plate. They act as skid aswell. You have your skid just hanging there waiting to grab stuff. I took your pic and flipped it for ya. You have two choices on lower links bent or straight. Either way works good. The straight protects the shafts more. Bent links don't get hung up as much. Theres really not that much diff...The Pos and Neg on both weigh out about the same. Anyway do you links like this.
Attached Images

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:47 AM   #15
MWRCA'er

Shortening the wheelbase would help you in the ledge like stuff. Provide better center clearance. Allow for a tighter turning radius. Much easier to find a body that fits the truck to. Only thing is I don't think your chassis would allow for that type of modification as the shorter you would go the higher the truck would ride.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Might try some taller 2.2's Like Red Rocks or All-T's...Maxx Mashers are the same size as the RR and All-T's...Just another option. I didn't notice you had a 15in Wheelbase. Try doing what I said in my above post and then shorten your front links by an inch and or rears about 1/4in..that should bring you in the ball park were you need to be. also give you a better 60/40 set up.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I think I will relocate the lower links to attach to the bottom of the skid plate, then move the uppers down on the chassis. have threaded rod for the links, but need to get some alum. tubing from home depot or wherever. I also may get a better designed chassis...this is just a modded bent up TLT chassis and it does not appear to give me alot to work with on setup.
another issue may be that I am driving it over 10-12 medium size 8-16" rocks I threw together in my backyard. alot of peaks and not much width to pick alternate lines. I need to get alot more rocks, and/or run it somewhere more natural.
thanks for the advice everyone!