Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

View Poll Results: see first post in thread
Yes, a two link suspension is posible 26 76.47%
no, a two link suspension is not posible 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: 2 link supension, posible or not...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Cool 2 link supension, posible or not...

All right I have a test for you people. Think of it as an IQ check. Is a two link supension setup posible on a completely stock TLT? By stock I meen no links or extra components were bought from the store. However, personal customizing( of the stock parts only, not links that you custom built!!!!!) is allowed. Please leave an explanation to your vote. On with the test....

No one post here anymore!!! If you have aquestion then send me a private message!!!

Last edited by Stallion1967; 11-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

of course it is,anything is possible but seriously it seems like it could be done
JRmudmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well thank you but I'm going to keep the real answer to myself untill more people post, unless you have already tried it then you know for yourself
Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

actually come to think of it i should be wondering the same thing cuz i plan on getting a TLT when i get the money
JRmudmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A two link would be entirely possible. Whether or not it will handle well is another story. Most two link setups are similar to the ford radius arm type of configuration. This setup works, but without a track bar, it has alot of slop. Assuming that welding stock components is allowed in your rules, a two link would not be hard to pull off, just weld two links together on the frame end, and leave the axle ends spread wide enough to fit in the link mounts on the axle.
All Out Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm pretty sure that according to the wording of the original poster, it isn't possible. What alloutracing posted above would work but flex would be near non existant. It would act like a swingarm. The ford radius arm aetup is sometimes called a 2-link, as is a truckarms style, but they require panhard bars. So effectively there would be 3 links. Then there's the 1-link, which is a wishbone solid mounted to the axle and one joint at the frame, also requireing a panhard bar. That would be 2 seperate links, but the wishbone would need to be "custom built" which is not allowed as stated above. Alloutracing's idea is the only one that would even keep the axle located, but still may require modifying of the links. It also won't flex well which I would think defeats the purpose. So for an effective suspension system in the confines of the originally stated 'test', I vote no.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

With the stock bits, no.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
With the stock bits, no.
yes it is LOL just need inventive use of the cantilevers
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I hate to be blunt but, prove it.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I played around with it when I first bought my TLT, dont have the parts now, go ahead and send me the cant and all the rods and I will be happy to rebuild it for ya
Old 11-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

In order for a canti to work it needs a link at each end, so there you've already wasted your 2 links. Honestly I think this whole thread is like some big word game as it was stated by the original poster.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus
In order for a canti to work it needs a link at each end, so there you've already wasted your 2 links. Honestly I think this whole thread is like some big word game as it was stated by the original poster.
Ive already done it.......drill cantis and lniks, and yes it has a panard rod
Old 11-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus
The links the original poster is talking about are the SUSPENTION links. Canti links don't do the first thing to aid the suspention links,so therefore,I don't concider canti links suspention links. Suspention links locate the axle. Canti links manipulate the shocks to gain travel out of a tiny shock.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
The links the original poster is talking about are the SUSPENTION links. Canti links don't do the first thing to aid the suspention links,so therefore,I don't concider canti links suspention links. Suspention links locate the axle. Canti links manipulate the shocks to gain travel out of a tiny shock.
You my friend have very limited imagination, the canti's dont go on the chassis side for a 2 link but on the axle side
Old 11-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I can prove it. This was kind of a trick question thread to get you guys to put in a good arguement so that I can decide to stay with the two link or not. You are right though articulation does act funny. It will flex but it takes some pressure to get it to do good. I'll post my proof later...
Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
the canti's dont go on the chassis side for a 2 link but on the axle side

I'm not sure exactlly what you mean there. The way I understand cantileaver set ups.....The link attached to the axle,goes to a bellcrank attached to the chassis. Then there's a short shock attached to the other side of the bellcrank(or whatever you call them) and then the other end of the shock is attached to the chassis as well. It's basically a mechanical advatage,or IMHO,a disadvantage in crawling
Old 11-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I think you will just have to show those of us who don't think it would work. Even after hearing a couple people say they've done it I have my doubts on it being a working suspension. I hope it doesn't lean towards the 2 sticks and a roll of duct tape type of suspension.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
I'm not sure exactlly what you mean there. The way I understand cantileaver set ups.....The link attached to the axle,goes to a bellcrank attached to the chassis. Then there's a short shock attached to the other side of the bellcrank(or whatever you call them) and then the other end of the shock is attached to the chassis as well. It's basically a mechanical advatage,or IMHO,a disadvantage in crawling
think of unconventual use for the parts, you are not using the canty's for their inteneded purpose but as a 2 position rod end for the axle side
Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
think of unconventual use for the parts, you are not using the canty's for their inteneded purpose but as a 2 position rod end for the axle side

O.K.,I see where your going with it....dual wishbone type of a thingymebob;) That'll definitly work,no question.

Maybe I was misleading in my original post. I was simply stating that I wouldn't concider the factory canti links or any canti link,in the standard set up a suspention link. In the factory set up,I see them more as shock links

Last edited by Reflection; 11-18-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

i want to see some of that proof that stallion said he would post up later
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote